Tinnitus Changes with High Humidity and Barometric Pressure

Discussion in 'Support' started by momus, Apr 8, 2023.

1. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Has anyone here found that their tinnitus increases or decreases with changes in humidity and barometric pressure? Everything I can find online says that this can happen. Going through my journal, the last few months in Tucson had not one mention of tinnitus. But after my move to Little Rock 4 months ago, it shows I've been having problems with increased tinnitus almost as soon as I got here.

The differences in humidity are huge. Tucson generally runs under 10% while Little Rock can be from 50% to 100% depending on the time of year. The part that has me stymied is that I lived in Florida and Hawaii for many years and don't remember my tinnitus being as bad as it is now. Granted I was younger, but that's the only difference I can point to.

Trying to figure out causation on this stuff can be very frustrating, but my diet, medications and exercise have all been the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've never looked into this. I'll see if there is any relationship (if I can remember to check on more horrific times).

But if there is, nothing can be done since the weather is out of our control.

3. Ronny

Ronny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      I thought at one time my tinnitus gets worse with barometric pressure change (also in planes) but I could not establish a correlation. I have never heard of a relation with humidity. Lately I have had the feeling my tinnitus is sugar related but I need to investigate that a bit further.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      The weather is definitely out of our control. One can easily move to where there is high or low humidity though. However, many of the cool places that are available to me like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah and Florida beaches are definitely high humidity.

I've found some solace in Gabapentin, Benadryl and Evan Williams Bourbon. As long as I can get to sleep, that's the main thing. This is a short term solution of course, but anyone who has had their tinnitus flare way up out of nowhere understands that we seek solace when and where we can find it.

The other demons I'm fighting are doctors who are determined to prescribe medications that are known to cause hearing loss at high frequencies, and/or work badly on my kidneys. It takes an awfully long time to find a doctor that even vaguely understands tinnitus and lets me research things before taking them. But, since it was a doctor who caused my tinnitus by not listening to my complaints of ear ringing on antibiotics, I take absolutely nothing w/o researching it first anymore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Kathryn Oates

Kathryn Oates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Radiation therapy in 1991 after Ependymoma removal
      I also have noticed that my tinnitus is worse when the barometer is rising or falling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I hope yours isn't as bad as mine Kathryn. Hopefully it will settle down for you. I'm 99.9% sure my recent tinnitus spike is due to high humidity. We had some sunny, low humidity days in Little Rock recently, and mine went back down to its base level.

• Like Like x 1