Tinnitus Due to External Fungal Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Support' started by mysterygal, Feb 3, 2017.

1. mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hello everyone. I developed tinnitus due to an external ear infection. The primary care physician initially mistook this for a bacterial infection. When the infection did not clear after a 10 day course of antibiotics, I went to an ENT, who immediately said it was a fungal ear infection. Unfortunately by then, my ears were completely blocked and trying to clear it with q-tips only moved the debris towards the ear drum. The ENT cleared the debris and prescribed hydrocortisone + acetic acid ear drops. I developed tinnitus 2 days before this was done.

It's over a month now, the infection has healed, inflammation in eardrum is gone, and it looks healthy.

Unfortunately, the tinnitus remains. I have no history of listening to loud music or taking drugs that can cause this issue.

Will the tinnitus go away?

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Possibly yes. Too early to tell. All the problem was in the external ear? Most T issues occur on the other side of the ear drum.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Thank you. Yes, all the problem was in the external ear, just too close to the eardrum. Audiology tests show normal hearing.

4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      The fungus could have pressed on the eardrum and slightly distorted it. I had some conductive hearing loss and vertigo, but not tinnitus, lasting a couple weeks after the infection cleared; the cause was my eardrum, which had been pushed into the middle ear by the density of my fungal infection (it had been there for 2 months).

I think you should give it some more time and take riboflavin as well as other common vitamins. These usually help inner ear problems but can also possibly ameliorate other causes of tinnitus, and high vitamin levels are good for body healing in any case. If the infection didn't get in the middle ear, it may be that the eardrum is still just a bit distorted.

Also, are you sure the infection is completely gone? That can come back even after rigorous antifungal application. For me, there was a year delay before my second, and more severe, infection came back.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Thank you. Appreciate you sharing your experience. I am hoping that this will resolve. The ENT said infection was resolved and my eardrum looked normal, but there may be still some healing left to do. My tympanometry for middle ear pressure etc. was normal. Am taking B-complex vitamins.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Just to clarify, the ENT said infection was resolved and my eardrum looked normal. Per them, there was no physical reason why this could be happening and that the tinnitus likely originated from the auditory cortex. I am just guessing that since ears can take time to heal, there may be still some healing left to do in my ears physically.

Does tinnitus resolve some time after the infection has fully healed?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd phrase it as "Tinnitus resolves sometimes after the infection has fully healed". I've seen both cases. I have a feeling that the majority resolves (otherwise we'd be having way more people with T in the world), but I don't have any proof of that.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Thank you; I appreciate the support.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Went to another ENT to get a second opinion. ENT confirmed that my ear looked good; saw no signs of inflammation. That was reassuring. Did say that ear infections can take time to fully heal and there may be inflammation that cannot be seen. Prescribed 4mg Medrol dose pack over with a tapering dose of 6 days. The fungal infection has healed well and has been gone for about 3+ weeks now. Due to the effect steroids have on the immune system, I am worried if the Medrol will reactivate the fungal infection. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi, everyone. My ear infection is long gone. It was an external ear infection that left my ear canal and ear drum inflammed. That's long healed now for 3-4 weeks, but the ringing and sensitivity to sound continues. It's been almost 2 months now. Never listened to loud music or took medicines that may put ears at risk. Hearing tests are normal. What do you think is going on? Will this go away? I am really scared. Please help.

12. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hi!

Has your tinnitus gotten better yet? I hope it has! I am not in the same boat as I didn't have an infection but I perforated my right eardrum 2 months ago, the eardrum is all healed but I still have high-pitched tinnitus. Can I please ask if your tinnitus was/is in both ears/in your head or was it specifically only in the previously infected ear?

13. CJC

CJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hey! I am also wondering if your tinnitus has gone better? Im in the same situation as you and bothered by it. Hope yo hear from you.

14. Bajaskier

Bajaskier Member

Tinnitus Since:
      O4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fungal Infection
      Was treated with antibiotics since 4/18. Different MD discovered fungal infection, cleared up in a couple days. Tinnitus continues. MD said eardrum was coated with "crud" and was more than twice as thick as it should be. Tinnitus SHOULD clear-up when eardrum heals - several months down the road. Loudness of the tinnitus dropped 50% after treatment for fungus. Silent in the morning, louder by afternoon. I have the "cicada" type - high frequency. The low frequency "rumble" in silent locations also went away after fungal treatment. Praying for 100% recovery.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi, my tinnitus is a whole lot better. I am not bothered by it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Wishing you a full recovery. It took me several months to feel better -- about 5-6 months. Now I don't hear it most days. Good luck.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mysterygal

mysterygal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hoping that you have recovered by now. Yes - my tinnitus is much better. I don't hear it most days. Hang in there. It took me about 5-6 months I think to get there.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Danny Woodward
      Frustrated

Danny Woodward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear fungal Infection/Possibly medication
      Hope you're still seeing these but I have to say thank you. I'm literally in the same boat as you and have been getting the same sort of treatment and have had the ear infection/fungal infection and tinnitus and was crying my eyes out for days on end fearing that it was going to become something I'd have to deal with forever. I scanned the internet looking for similar stories and never heard anything that was just like mine or near to my own and then after a week (three weeks of infection, two weeks of noise) I finally stumbled across yours and for the first time in all that time I'm a little more relaxed. I know not all medical conditions are exactly the same or that out comes are always the same but you honestly have eased my concern because our cases are/were (in your case) so similar. You have eased my mind for the night and I have ENT tomorrow and so hoping they will take out anything that is still there (infection) as the Doctor said that could be the reason I hear the ringing (high pitched).

So for one night you have given me peace and calm. Thanks. (That sounds sarcastic but it isn't meant to, I'm honestly grateful lol). If we ever meet remind me I owe you a beer lol.