Tinnitus Ear Infection — Could This Be a Viral Ear Infection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Charlok, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Charlok

Charlok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi guys

I got tinnitus about three weeks ago through an outer ear infection.

The gp prescribed me amoxicillin which didn't work, however the tinnitus went away for two days and then came back.

I'm now on another antibiotic but not seeing any improvement.
      Could this be a viral ear infection?

Tinnitus is ruining my life. I am in my final year of uni and can't revise for my exams because it's so loud. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks . Charlene x

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It's normal for Tinnitus to linger for awhile following an infection.Mate of mine got two nasty outer ear infections from a swimming pool whilst in holidays.After the infection cleared up the ringing slowly sub-sided and was gone completely two weeks later.But nobody here can give you personal medical advice and if your concerned tell your GP so they can investigate further,my own personal recommendation would be to take some Magnesium and Vit B12 and some NAC if you can get your hands on them as they can protect your hearing.Also stay away from loud noises for the time being.
      Best Wishes Stephen.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      After a ear infection it can take a few weeks for tinnitus to settle down .
      Try steam inhalation to clear your tubes from any mucous...lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charlok

Charlok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks guys :)

I have a hearing test tomorrow , so hopefully that all goes ok, and I have a follow up doctors appointment about my ear once my antibiotics are finished.

it just worries me because each time it has only lasted a few days and this is the longest period the tinnitus has stayed around for.

Charlene x

5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi Charlok, anxiety is your worst enemy with this T thing. If you relax, ALOT of people have Tinnitus, so you are not alone, and that assure you that, with you anxiety under control, you should be able to function good for you last exams.

Have caution with the ear infection, because almost always doctors prescribe NEOMICYN drops... those are NO good for people like us. Ask your doctor.

Regards!

6. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I know two people who have had ear infection with ringing, but cleared up! It just takes time! Good luck to you!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      A cut in hearing loss from the infection can cause some short term tinnitus.
      Antibiotics don't do squat in most EI situations..
      If it's just the tinnitus you're worried about I would ask the doc if you could skip doing the second round of antibiotics.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charlok

Charlok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi everyone

Am still taking my antibiotics , but when I press on my ear there is some pain.

How long does inflammation take to go away normally in an ear infection? Xx

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      When you finish your medication get your ears checked to see if the infection has gone as sometimes need a second course.
      After a infection unwanted mucous can still be in your tubes and can take a week or two to clear after your medication has finished....lots of love glynis

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Which antibiotic are you taking?

11. Deandush

Deandush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Charlok hey I'm just wondering if your T subsided after the infection and inflammation went away? I have had T for 8 days now and I am 100% certain it was from a bad ear infection I got nearly 2 weeks ago, I've been to the doc and they gave me antibiotics, I've also started oil pulling with coconut oil as I've heard that helps remove bacteria from your sinuses, anyway yesterday my ear felt like it kind of popped, almost like it was bubbling I can't really describe it but since then I have had much better hearing and I think my T has dropped slightly, that or its just a bit more masked as I can hear better, I have never appreciated good health more than these last 8 days lol and I have never felt depression or anxiety in my life until now

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charlok

Charlok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Deandush hi yes my tinnitus did go away after about 6 weeks after taking the second course of antibiotics! i hope yours clears up quickly too :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Deandush

Deandush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Charlok that makes me feel a whole lot better, thanks :)

14. phoebe

phoebe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Did your tinnitus just disappear one day or did it decrease gradually?

15. Damian Tsao

Damian Tsao Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Charlok Hi, I have the same question with phoebe. Did your tinnitus just disappear one day or did it drop gradually? I got an airplane ear 6 weeks ago and it became an middle ear infection later. After taking 3 doses of Amoxicillin, I got the high pitch rining in my left ear. It has already last for 10 days. My ENT said that my infection and inflammation have gone, and I have to wait for another 6 weeks to see if the T disappear or not. If not, I might have to do MRI and it may not going to ease for the rest of my life... It really scares me!

16. fatima

fatima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st august 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis

Hey. How long did it take. Would u know ?