Tinnitus Finally Landed Me in the Psych Ward

Discussion in 'Support' started by historicalagency, Apr 13, 2018.

1. historicalagency

historicalagency Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I could use some support or stories of success with SEVERE tinnitus.

My story starts with a moderate hissing noise in my left ear I woke up with during the time I was being diagnosed with PTSD. After loads of tests I have perfect hearing and I have mild TMJ and I assume my head and neck muscles are screwed up, which I’m sure causes the terrible tones. But I think more than anything the stress and PTSD is what is making this so bad — my CNS is a mess. I sound coherent right now because they sedated me when I got here, and also I have no idea why they let us keep our phones. But i was suicidal a few hours ago, it’s 15/10, it’s so bad.

The hissing changed after a year into multiple tones — crickets, a pure tone in my right ear, and still the hisssss in my head. At that point it was about a 7/10, because I could still mask it with white noise.

But you know what? I eventually habituated, so i could sleep in mostly silence (ceiling fan on).

And six months after that, under another period of extreme stress, it just got so bad. I was lying in bed, happy I had habituated, and all of a sudden I got an electrical sound that goes up and down and modulates constantly and another hissing and another dog whistle noise and another pure tone in my right ear. This has completely destroyed me. I can’t mask it with anything. Lying down to slee I can’t even sleep with noise because the electrical noise changes every 3 seconds — it disappears one second and then BAM it feels like someone zapped my brain.

I actually started recording my emotional response to the T and had success for a few weeks, until... I immediately acquired body-wide twitches that have lasted months and months. Tinnitus spiked again, 15/10 again, crying on my floor wishing someone would legitimately euthanize me. I haven’t slept without sedatives or alcohol in a month. Anyway, here i am in the psych ward for these somatic symptoms and I pray to god I learn some coping skills.

But I’m here to ask — does anyone have success stories (whatever that means to you) for severe tinnitus like this??? Any stories would be so appreciated.

Thank you xx

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      I just want to reach out and say that I feel your pain and struggle. My T is all over the place in addition to moderate/severe hearing loss, it makes life a challenge, but I am still here. I really hope you find someone able to help you and guide you in the direction you need.. Just remember, these things take time. Be patient and good to yourself. You are a warrior right now, and I pray your battle will be won!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Good for you to reach out and ask for help. I was diagnosed with severe tinnitus 7 years ago and have managed to live with it. I never fully habituated but I do have my 'better' days when I'm unaware of it. My hearing is good but my ENT prescribed me a hearing aid with Bluetooth for masking purposes. Since my tinnitus is high pitched, it requires a higher pitched masking sound. I found a good 'crickets' masking mp3 from Sound Oasis (the people who make the sound machines) called Summer Nights. It works for me and after a half hour or so, I can feel the tension releasing from my body. It's a good feeling.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Does your hearing aid go right in the ear?

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Karl28
      I have a behind the ear hearing aid.

6. Starfish90

Starfish90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry you are going through this hell. I have had low hissing tinnitus for almost 30 years. Adapted to it. However I have had loud hissing and some high pitched tone in left ear for the last 3 months. Driving me crazy. Been to 4 ents an allergist and a heart doctor. Going to see a neurologist next week, probably won't help. Everybody kind of dismisses you cause they don't know to much about tinnitus. However I went to chiropractor and he said neck muscles were really tight. Been under a lot of stress last two years. He helped a little. But my doctor gave me alprazolam .05 mg which helps a lot at night when is loudest and helps me relax and sleep. Also check to see if you have fluid behind ears or clogged eustacian tube with ent. Also a heart doctor can do a Doppler scan to see if your blood is flowing normally. I wear ear protectors like people use to protect ears from loud noise to prevent further damage. Many things can cause it.....but sometimes it can be fixed if one of the problems is listed above. So try not to be so distraught.......there are many of us in this situation. Keep praying. Try the alprazolam (Xanax) really helps. Also many meds are ototoxic and cause damage to ears and makes it worse. You can look up ototoxic drugs that cause tinnitus. I don't think alprazolam is one of them.

7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Great job getting yourself to a place you can be taken care of when you need it most. You're doing the right thing. We're here to listen if you need to get it off your chest.

• Like Like x 1