Tinnitus for a Week But I Think It's Caused by TMD/TMJ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cam Cam, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Cam Cam

Cam Cam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello guys, so I recently developed Tinnitus ontop of my chronic sinus issues i've been battling for nearly 6 months! (I know sucks :( )

Anyway, I did a bit of research and I came across TMD/TMJ.

Anyway for 2-3 weeks I complained to my doctor that i could hear mild ringer in my ear, and complained it could be fluid/mucus in my Eustachian tubes. I left the office and I chewed gum, moved my jaw, opened my mouth thinking it was mucus and I was helping losen it up. Then, I realised that I am also a notorious teeth grinder at night and I am meant to wear a splint that stops it - I never got round to getting it. instead, i wear my guard for braces I had a couple years back which keeps my teeth straight. Anyway, this can help the grinding but not as good as an actual guard splint.

This led me to a eureka moment- I was like "wait a second, that isn't mucus, that's my bloody jaw clicking?!" and the more i had done it over the days thinking i was helping move mucus the louder my T got in my left ear (mild in my right) then all of a sudden today it made a giant crack/clicking sound. Sounds sound weird at times when i hear them, for example songs I listened to last week sound different in certain parts- I think i've done something to the nerves that cross over where I entpret sound and everything is pretty inflammed in my face area.I have also had pain in my checks, jaw, temples, back of the neck and back of the head). I noticed my posture the last 1-2 months has been horrible and I got lazy with it. Leading up to this I noticed my lower back was sore and my necked started to crack and get really, really stiff.

I am seeing an ENT in relation to my sinus issues but I will now bring this up (silly me, battling 2 things at once). i will also have a hearing test sometime next week but I really think it's going to be a dental issue.

What are your guys thoughts?

edit- My jaw also clicks when I swallow and i can alter the pitch of the T when I clench my jaw/teeth

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would wear a mouth guard at night and soft food diet and see if it helps .
      Does sound like TMJ....lots of love glynis

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It does look like TMJ related. But sinus congestion can also lead to ETD which can also cause T. So best is to have it checked out. Take care. God bless.