Tinnitus from a Cold?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bigmouth, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bigmouth

bigmouth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold/allergy
      Hi everyone

hopefully you guys can understand my writing :)

Last year back in June 2015 i had a bad cold/allergy. And my ear started ringing and it wouldnt stop, i went to my doctor and told her what was happening and she told me it would go away soon and not to worry about it.

about 2 months past (Aug 2015), my ringing wasnt getting better, i can still hear but not well. So i went to a ENT doctor, told him what happened after i had a bad cold. They gave me a hearing test and told me my left ear have a little earing lost. He told me my bad cold could be a cause of it or other things. He also to me he had a lot of other patients that just lost hearing over night. And 1% chance it could be a tumor. He pretty much told my i have nerve damage and my ear wouldnt go back to normal again.

After that i tried going to a acupuncture. I was going for about 3-4 months for 2 days a week. Nothing had changed :(

March 2016 i when to a hearing health center and did a hearing test again and she told me the same from the ENT doctor. She told me it might help to get a hearing aid and she fitted me in one to try on and it did help me to hear better and the ringing sound wasnt as much since i could hear more normal. So i told her i would think about it and get back to her on the hearing aid.

i thought about it for about a month since the ringing is still bothering me. So i ended up going back to get a hearing aid fitted and they had to be custom made. Long story short, in Aug 2016 i finally got my hearing aid. so i been using is on and off for about a month now. I do feel better when im wearing it at a loud place like in the restaurant and such. But when i remove it at night, the ringing seems to be louder, i guess thats normal.

I might be also thinking too much now, when i think back from my ENT doctor that i saw back in Aug 2015 that he said theres 1% chance that could be a tumor.

Could it be i have a tumor thats why i have ringing issues? or im just worrying and thinking too much? Should i go to another ENT doctor?

could the audiologist tell if i have tinnitus?

Please help! thanks much!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You could have a routine MRI to put your mind at rest.
      Acoustic Nuromas are small slow growing tumors that are not cancerous and usually left alone and just keep an eye on them...
      Try not to worry....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bigmouth

bigmouth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold/allergy
      @glynis Thank you much for your reply. Maybe im just over worrying.

• Like Like x 1
    4. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      I'm surprised they didn't tell you whether the hearing loss was conductive or or not. A fucked up E-Tube and other stuff will give you conductive loss.

I'm also surprised they didn't say "It could be a tumor, let's do the tests to find out"

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Hi, bigmouth.....(seems a little strange/rude to say that!).
      I'd have thought it VERY unlikely that you do have an acoustic neuroma, but worth excluding as it is relatively easy to treat if small.
      My tinnitus started off with an insignificant cold, and it's not an unusual way for it to begin. Some viruses can damage the middle and inner ear whilst only causing slight symptoms.
      I wear hearing aids in both ears and have t-tubes for the permanently damaged Eustachian tubes, and they help whilst they are in situ, but the tinnitus is louder when they are out.

Fungus.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bigmouth

bigmouth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold/allergy
      @Fungus
      Thanks for your reply!
      Yea, i spoke with my audiologist about it too again, she told me shes pretty sure i have tinnitus. I guess im just over thinking it sometimes. Its been over a year that i got tinnitus and i still cannot believe i got it from a bad cold. :(

7. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you guys mind telling me about this situation? I've had T for almost 3 weeks now and I'm not sure if it's from a cold. I do have allergies and sinus problems but they never caused ringing in the ears.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bigmouth

bigmouth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold/allergy
      @Kazue Mine came from my bad cold/flu and it just never went away.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Don't forget to get a flu jab......lots of love glynis

10. wanda evans

wanda evans Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age related hearing loss
      Thank you for the reminder. I need to do this. My T initially appeared along with moderate hearing loss (I'm 65) but a sinus cold caused it to spike to a hard to ignore tone. Luckily it's settled down somewhat but it's still more intrusive than it was before. I sure don't want to risk getting sick and triggering another spike.