Tinnitus from Infection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by noelle, Aug 9, 2018.

1. noelle

noelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      viral infection?
      Hi guys, my name is Noelle, and I’m 20. About two weeks ago I started to feel pretty weird - Brain was foggy, got dizzy spells, and then a week later I got a fever with a migraine. I also noticed a ringing in both of my ears that isn’t unbearable, it’s just gosh dang annoying. Went to the doctor and they suspected sinusitis.

My ears started to bother me too (I get ear infections all the time), but my doctor told me they weren’t infected - just filled with fluid, which I’m assuming is what’s causing the ringing.

Anyways, I was put on antibiotics and I am finally starting to feel healthy again, but the tinnitus is still there. I only really notice it before I’m about to go to sleep, but it worries me. Do you think it’s permanent? Should I see an ENT? There’s definitely still fluid in my ears that I can hear when I swallow or move my jaw. I’m probably paranoid, but I guess I just want support that I won’t be stuck like this forever. Any advice would be great. :) Thanks!

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Hi Noelle,

I understand your concerns about your tinnitus.

Noone can tell you if your t will be permanent, but it is quite possible it will resolve once your infection/inflammation disappears. If it doesn't, you are going to be OK. There are many members on this forum, including myself, who have habituated; living happy and fulfilling lives.

To give it the best possible chance of disappearing or your bran habituating, please avoid giving it more attention, as this will only cause your brain to classify the noise as a threat, which will then further feed into your anxiety. (easier said than done).

It cant hurt to have your ears evaluated by an ENT. A tympanogram will tell you if you have a middle ear effusion. Have you had an extended audiogram?

If you are finding sleep difficult. You are not alone. Many of us have, in the early stages, experienced problems with insomnia. For me, once I accepted I had no control over the noise itself, but I could manage my reaction to it, sleep started to come more easily. These days, I rarely think of my tinnitus at night (with a few occasional exceptions)

Youre not being paranoid. T can be very annoying and frustrating; outright debilitating for some.

You wont be stuck like this forever. With the exception of few, your t will likely disappear, or you will learn to adapt. I know its hard to believe that right now. I didn't 5 years ago either. But, here I am today, seriously not bothered by my t. I can sit in a quiet room for hours at a time, I can sleep without masking easily (mostly). I never thought my brain was capable of filtering out my orchestra, but it has. Yours will too :)

4. Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      I have tinnitus from sinusitis a month ago too. I feel very scared... hope it's not permanent. You can talk to me if you want.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @noelle,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.

A nasil spray will help and make sure you use it daily to clear your tubes.

love glynis