Tinnitus from Nortriptyline After 7 Weeks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rjbookworm, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Hi there. Please call me Ava. It's uncanny that Nortriptyline is prescribed to treat tinnitus because the medication did a number on both of my ears on May 8th. I was very surprised when I was trying to fall asleep that night and my left ear, which is my deaf ear (from birth), began ringing and whooshing. The ringing and whooshing also occurred in my right ear and I felt pressure in my right ear and heard a lot of clicking and thumping. I felt like I was having muscle spasms or a fluttering in my right ear.

I had a virtual visit with my former PCP who prescribed the medication on May 11th and he didn't believe me. He insisted that I was having ETD or that the ringing was caused by impacted earwax even though I have no history of ETD. Nor did I ever need tubes put in my ear as a child. My former PCP gaslit the heck out of me. However, when I called the ear clinic at the same teaching hospital where I receive my asthma care, the receptionist looked at my medication list, noticed the Nortriptyline, and sounded very anxious about wanting to squeeze me in for an appointment on the 13th.

When my hearing was tested I did not have any significant hearing loss, but I still heard a lot of ringing and whooshing in my right ear. The same applied to the clicking and muscle spasm feeling. Fortunately, an ear doctor at the ear clinic believed me, but he only took a quick look in my ear and insisted that the tinnitus would go away. Clearly the tinnitus hasn't gone away otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post.

I'm struggling with habituation. My quiet time was so sacred before I acquired tinnitus. I spent my quiet time reading and I miss those days so much. Reading with tinnitus is a challenge because tinnitus kills my concentration. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated especially advice for reading with tinnitus because reading brings me joy.

2. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Rjbookworm

Hello Ava

People have had tinnitus go away. And for some where it didn't... it did get better over time.

I love reading too!!!

I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis (hyperacusis is worse) for the past 5 months and because of the hyperacusis I can't do much of anything because noise causes me pain. So I really struggle to read to try to forget about the tinnitus & hyperacusis.

My tinnitus fluctuates. It's quietest in the morning and gets louder as the day progresses... so I read in the mornings. Sometimes, I will have to reread the same paragraph over again, but that's okay.

When I first started reading again after tinnitus & hyperacusis, I did it for short periods and worked my way up. I can honestly say now that as long as the tinnitus volume is tolerable and I'm not in a lot of pain... I can read.

What do you like to read Ava?

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Hi, Linda.

I spoke to a really sweet pharmacist on Mother's Day and asked her about the tinnitus. She said that no one knows why Nortriptyline causes tinnitus and she said, "I'm rooting for it going away." I appreciate her kindness and optimism. My thought is that I could get a hearing aid for my right ear, which feels odd since my hearing is normal in that ear, but I like the masking option that can come along with hearing aids. It was so strange hearing ringing in my deaf ear. That was when I knew that something was really wrong. :eek:

Cool! What genres do you like to read?

I'm so sorry about your tinnitus and hyperacusis. :( Hyperacusis sounds like hell! I'm relieved to know that I'm not alone in my struggle with reading.

It's smart that you read in the morning when your tinnitus is quietest. I'm glad that reading has become easier for you over time. It's okay that you have to re-read lines or passages. I hope that your hyperacusis becomes less painful. Have you seen an ENT about your hyperacusis?

I like to read everything from manga to LGBT fiction and middle grade fiction. Last year I read my fair share of historical fiction in my pre T days. One of my favorite reads from last year was "The Sisters of the Winter Wood" by Rena Rossner. I cried three times or more while reading it because I loved seeing my culture represented in a book. :)

Reading outside helps with my focus so far.

4. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Rjbookworm

I have seen an ENT who basically threw up his hands and said he couldn't help me because he knows nothing about hyperacusis. So, I'm waiting to see another doctor but it could be a year before (if) I can get in to see him. In the meantime, I am going to ask my family practitioner to send me to a neurologist... wondering if all the pain is caused by a nerve.

I read mostly non-fiction. How To books (drawing, watercolor painting, gardening, writing, art, architecture ) Buddhism, Spirituality, Mindfulness, Meditation, etc...

I recently decided to try some non-fiction so now I 'm reading a trilogy by Stieg Larsson:
      The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
      The Girl Who Played With Fire
      The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.
      I'm actually enjoying them.

I'm glad that reading outside helps you.

upload_2020-8-14_0-32-35.png

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      I'm having a hard time habituating to my tinnitus and I feel hopeless.

I feel like I'm existing instead of living. Staying positive is a constant struggle. Perhaps I need to meditate and work on getting myself in a better headspace, but I've always struggled with dwelling on the hardships in my life. And tinnitus is tough to deal with.

Yesterday I cried over and over partly because of my tinnitus and because I'm not where I want to be in life. I'm not able to work because of COVID-19 and because I have an underlying health condition that places me in the high risk category.

I've mentioned this in the "Dating with tinnitus" thread, but I'm worried that tinnitus will impact my dating life once it's safe for me to date (i.e. when a vaccine for COVID-19 is available). I shouldn't let my tinnitus define me and yet I'm letting it impact my already low self-esteem. My self-esteem was low long before I developed tinnitus.

I have two other health issues besides tinnitus and I feel like no one would ever want to be in a relationship with someone who deals with so much crap.

Sorry for coming across as self pitying. I'm in need of wisdom and some coping mechanisms.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Are you in therapy? Some of your issues could be helped by a knowledgeable therapist.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      @annV, yes, I'm in therapy. I've had a lot of therapy since I was in elementary school and I'm in my late 20s now. Low self-esteem has been a struggle since I was a child. Loving oneself can be very difficult work.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Do you still have to wait a year to see another doctor? Did you end up seeing a neurologist?

I need to follow your example and read some books about mindfulness and Buddhism. Mindfulness and meditation have helped my aunt and she has Lyme Disease. I hope that mindfulness helps you too.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the other books in the trilogy.

I have a combination device that plays soothing tones now. It's a Widex hearing aid and it plays Zen tones.

I love that picture and the quote on it! :love:

9. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Hopefully this calms down with time, it takes a lot of patience but I would stay optimistic that you will get better and recover in time. At worst you could habituate and be able to read again without any real issues, but I think there is a good chance it goes away or calms down considerably as your receptors re-normalize (it takes time!)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Before the lock down I just found the first three books at the Thrift Store. I've been really wanting to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But I've had a super hard time reading since the end of May.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I always hate hearing it, but you're still new to tinnitus. If you can I'd find a good therapist. I always thought that would help me more, but can't afford and no access.

My advice is also not to worry about time tables or anything. I'm still in year 4 and I keep putting so much pressure on myself that I should be habituated by now.

I also get you on the silence. I miss it so freaking much. I think because I live in the country where there is silence and there isn't anything but nature noises and that I would seek out silence tinnitus hit me hard. It's also hard when others on hear so how they're over it, or I meet people in real life who are.

Especially people with severe tinnitus. Though finally some admitted how long it took them to start reading again or to habituate. Not everyone is fast. I think just take it day by day. There's ups and downs. I know right now I'm finally not super bothered by my tinnitus. Though I'm having other health problems so that might be helping to distract.

Also, I've noticed a lot of drug induced tinnitus sufferers on here do heal. Though it takes years.

• Like Like x 1
    12. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Rjbookworm

Hello Ava

Thank you for posting to me. I have not been able to see anyone yet. I was told getting in to see the other ENT who knows something about tinnitus & hyperacusis will take 2 years. Getting in to see a neurologist in my area is anywhere from 18 months to three years.
      I just had a CT scan a couple of days ago and will find out results next week. I'm assuming they won't find anything as my tinnitus & hyperacusis was caused by Acoustic Shock.

I would highly recommend reading books about mindfulness/meditation. And Buddhism if you are so inclined... not everyone is.
      It is not a religion but a philosophy with some sound advice for living life.
      You can be/not be any religion you want.
      Really worth having a look at it to see if it is right for you or if bits and parts are helpful for you.

How are you liking the Widex hearing aid with the Zen tones? Is is helping to distract you from the tinnitus?

I too have Widex hearing aids with Zen tones but right now I can't use them as I have pain even in silence and they would create even more pain right now. Right now I cannot distract from the tinnitus noise with any sound.

I always swore I would never read an electronic book... a paper book was better. I was wrong! A friend loaned me her e-reader and I have fallen in love with it so now I'm doing research on whether to buy a Kindle or Kobo.
      I'm leaning toward the Kobo as I live in Canada and with it I can access library books.

Here's something I read a long time ago...

"We are what we think.
      All that we are, arises with our thoughts
      With our thoughts, we make our world."
      -The Buddha

Wishing you a great day Ava! Keep in touch. :huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad you found the book "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"".

Sometimes I have trouble reading too. So I don't. Then, I will pick up a book at a time of day when I'm not in too much pain to read even for a short time.

We just have to listen to our bodies.

If you are able to read it, I hope you enjoy it. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Thank you for your encouragement and optimism. I really appreciate it. :huganimation: I agree that it could take a while for my receptors to calm down. The zen tones in my hearing aid are helping my focus when I read.

I also saw an audiologist today and talking to her really helped. I vented a little and got more information about medication induced tinnitus. She said that meditation helps her with her tinnitus.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Good point. I am new to tinnitus. I'm seeing a therapist. It bites that you don't have access to therapy.

Thank you for the advice and the empathy. It's rough that you still put pressure on yourself about habituation. I can see how meeting and interacting with people with tinnitus and comparing yourself to their habituation process would be difficult.

I like your advice about taking habituation day by day. Or I could think of the process as baby steps toward habituation.

I get why you miss silence especially since you live in the country where it's more peaceful. Again, your empathy means a lot.

I'm sorry about your other health issues. :huganimation:

If it takes years for me to heal then that is what it is.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a good mindset and I'm glad you'll have support to help you.

Baby steps is a good way to look at it. Don't worry about anyone else's time tables either. Or what to expect from tinnitus.

I'm putting less pressure to habituate and I feel like that's helped a lot. I'm less annoyed. Even started reading again! And enjoying it.

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Thank you. :huganimation:

I really appreciate your wisdom.

It's great that you're putting less pressure on yourself to habituate. That's really helpful! I'm happy that you're reading again. :D I've been in a reading slump these past few weeks. Just started a middle-grade book on Wednesday called "New Beginnings" by Victoria Schwab. I read two of her books last winter. She's a good author.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      I'm sorry that it's going to take you so long to see an ENT and neurologist.

It doesn't sound like the CT scan will have results that apply to your hearing damage. The reason for that (your acoustic shock) makes sense.

My aunt is really into Buddhism and meditation and so was my uncle while he was still alive. Mindfulness and meditation helped him throughout his journey with cancer. I should talk to my aunt more about mindfulness.

The Widex hearing aid is helping with my tinnitus. It was also helpful to see an audiologist and tinnitus expert for my sound therapy checkup on Wednesday. The audiologist has tinnitus herself and she suggested using a meditation app on her phone since that's what helps her.

I'm sorry that you're struggling with your pain and your tinnitus so much. It really sucks that you can't use your Widex hearing aids because of your pain. :( I admire your positive attitude in spite of your struggles. I'm here if you need to talk. :huganimation:

I'm glad that you like the ereader from your friend! Ereaders are very convenient. The Kobo sounds handy since you can check out library books. Very cool!

Thank you for the quote from the Buddha! I wonder if my aunt is familiar with that quote. :) I'll bet that she is.

I hope you're having a good weekend, Linda. Thanks for being so sweet! :huganimation:

19. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wisdom. Ah, my errors creating answers.

Yeah, it's let up a lot of pressure to just to not care about the tinnitus as much. Wish it didn't take getting other health problems to finally get me to do it. But I'm looking on the brighter side! Yeah, I've been so happy to read all week. I FINALLY wrapped up Dragon Wytch and started up Armed and Magical! Yeah!! Ooooo, Schwab! I've heard such good things. I was going to start with her Viscous books, but I think I'm gonna start with publication order. Her first books sound really good. I loaded them to my ereader in anticipation! I even bought her new book. I got the audio even and I'm not sure if I'll try audio books again. The only ones I've totally loved on audio are the Harry Potter books. Though I really want to listen to Green Light by Matthew Mcconaughey. His voice!

I hope you get out of your slump. :huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Lol! :p
      I'm happy that you're caring less about your tinnitus and that you're reading more! I hope you're enjoying Armed and Magical. :D

Schwab is great! I love "City of Ghosts" and "Tunnel of Bones" and I read them last fall. I'll have to look up which books are her first ones. Which books of hers did you load onto your ereader? Her new book sounds good too! "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue" is the book that you're talking about, right?

I love the Harry Potter audiobooks! I didn't know that Matthew McConaughey published a book. He has a great voice. ;)

Thanks. :huganimation:

My tinnitus is being weird. It sometimes resolves in my left ear and has become intermittent in that ear. It still wants to stay in the left side of my head though. Now it's head tinnitus. Strange! :dunno:

• Like Like x 1