Tinnitus Goes Away with Contraction of Tensor Tympani Muscle

Discussion in 'Support' started by sophia1688, Jan 19, 2021.

1. sophia1688

sophia1688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's tinnitus goes away with contraction of the tensor tympani muscle?

I don't mean how the sound of rumbling drowns the tinnitus out, but when plugging the ears, and contracting the muscle, the tinnitus completely goes away.

If so, what is the cause of your tinnitus?

And in general (for everyone, but please mention whether or not it goes away with contraction), does your tinnitus go away with any maneuvers (please also mention the cause of your tinnitus)?

If you don't know how/can't contract your tensor tympani, you can do it by slowly yawning (see if your tinnitus goes away with that) or closing eyes really tight until you hear a rumbling sound (that’s the muscle).

You may have also noticed your tinnitus goes away when crying, if this works.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ilias T
      Happy

Ilias T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss or TMJ
      When I yawn, my tinnitus makes a new sound. It always did that so it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's just you and a few people with this skill :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sophia1688

sophia1688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ohh, I’m just seeing if anyone else can make it go away like this as I’ve never heard of or met anyone similar. Makes me wonder if there is a different cause to my tinnitus, as it’s unilateral and not exactly a ‘tonal’ noise.

4. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My tinnitus is noise induced and contracting the tensor tympani doesn’t make it go away.

5. Scruffy
      Wishful

Scruffy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammering with hammers
      Birds chirping with the slightest yawn :cool: