Tinnitus Gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by norwaygirl, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown p
      What a wonderful post! So happy for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Hi @norwaygirl ,

I’ve written a lengthy post... If you’re in a hurry, you may skip to my questions ;-)

Thank you so much for this encouraging post. It was exactly what I hoped to find in the Success stories section. I’m sure a lot of people agree. Thanks for taking the time and effort of coming back here.

Your story seems to illustrate that - for you at least - picking up your life where you left off was important in your recovery.

Being able to drink some alcohol now and then and still going out with some friends to a bar where they play some music seems instrumental in getting your mind off T. Even though this behavior may hold some risks according to some.

So my questions to you:

- How would you advise on finding the right balance between distracting yourself by keeping your habits and social life and being (too?) careful of making T worse?

- Do you dare play (soft) music through headphones?

- Is your T gone even if you put on a pair of headphones? I can ignore mine all day, but the hissing sound when I put my trusted over-ear headphones on is what makes me most sad.

Knowing that at least some of us habituate or recover to the point They don’t hear that hissing sound again, would give me hope.

I have a mild form of T myself but I don’t want it to control my life. The more cautious I become, the bigger it becomes. I still want to be able to go out and socialize, listen to music and watch movies...

Don’t get me wrong... I won’t get reckless. I am planning on buying good quality earplugs to carry with me when some activities are louder than expected. And maybe I’ll even use them at a concert, if I can muster the courage to ever visit one again.

The hardest part though, is to avoid my trusted, noise cancelling, over-ear headphones with my phone capped to the EU approved volume... this has been most difficult for me.

People on this forum with a lot of expertise advised me to lay off listening to music through headphones altogether. I fear not being able to use a pair of headphones again will keep reminding me I have this horrible condition that prevents me from doing what I loved most in my life... listening to music while commuting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      How does he still preform when he has T. Like doings gigs and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    4. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      first of all congratulations! it's good to know that some come out of this hell
      I also wanted to ask if all the recovery cases occur within a year of suffering from tinnitus. in my case I have it six years ago. Are there cases where you suffer for a long time and there is total recovery?
      punctually for sound-induced damage

5. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      With in ears that dampen the sound. There are many musicians with Tinnitus that still perform, Noël and Liam Gallagher for example.

6. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Hey, Any good books or literature that helped block out the T??

7. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Thank you for such a wonderful post . It is great to read such a positive post. You have no idea what this means to me. I am on a roller coaster ride. Somedays I think i am ignoring somedays I breakout and cry. I went through 1st half of what you have gone through and still going through and I am 29years old too and thought I had my entire life ahead before T now I feel its a dreadful one to face T every night.... Everynight I step on to bed with fear. I love daytimes I hate nights I used to love sleep now I wish I can skip sleep but my husband is helping a lot talking in the nights whenever I get those panic attacks when I want to sleep but I can't. I have my entire family supporting me cousins friends everyone yet I feel like I am alone in this. Posts like these and habituation help me see light.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      Hey there, sleeping can still be a pleasurable experience! Have you tried finding a masking channel on youtube? This is the one I always used while sleeping. It has some weird beep bop boop beep beeps, but for some reason it covered my T 100%. Not sure the extent of your T, but maybe you can try masking it just so you can get some proper sleep?

MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY|Tinnitus...

9. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      norwaygirl, thank you so much for your story, you are such an inspiration!! i'll go down your road, hope so i'm strong enough for it, if my tinnitus does't clear on it's own...it's been over a month for me and the first few weeks were like yours..little sleep, could not eat, crying all the time...all of it. but it got better after prednisolon meds and now i'm doing much better, partially because of the impovement, partially because i got this hope and energy that i will make it - either this or that way. your story helped me a lot! and i do know one person who achived it your way (tinnitus did not go away, he pushed it away from his thoughts, when it does come back he is able to take it under control in a few minutes.. he learnt this technique in a therapy, pretty much same approach as you/the researcher you mention).

anyway i somehow relate to you, im roughly your age.. writing my thesis at the uni, went throuh hell the first few weeks .. but am in the process of fighting it now... i took meds as my doctor said it would,could bring something in my case (it did), i take some over the counter meds like ginko ..magnesium.. go swimming, sleep 8/9 hours (i can do that now as it got quieter or maybe i got used to it as well, i dont mask it, i usually sleep in a silent room)...
      but i also practice your solution- ignore it and focus on other things like walking and nature or uni stuff and reading... i hope i overcome this.. and im reading success stories, they really lift me up.
      and i do know people who beat it- the friend i mentioned and my granny...she got her tinnitus when she was 50 and something years old, she was a prime school teacher so maybe it was related to the job as with small kids there is noise (anyway no underlying med condition..no sudden noise she could really tell no loud clubs ;) or stuff like that); she had it for 3 years and it went away completly, she is over 80 now and has her silence back for a long long time. so anything is possible really

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Stellaivory

Stellaivory Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      it started after a sonogram for my lungs
      that's a great story and I'm really happy for you and anyone who can beat this. I've had T since November, 2017 it just came on suddenly I remember it like it was yesterday . It's now April 2018. I hope the stories about it being permanent if you've had it for more than 3 months are wrong :) I had a pretty good month in February I thought I was on my way to beating it because the noise was very low. It's spiked again now -- it goes up and down every few days. Very frustrating and scary. Good luck to you on your road to silence !

11. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      Does anyone know success stories for reactive tinnitus?

12. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      it totally can go away, 3 months is just some generalised idea..guidelines really..when which therapy so insurance can cover it

in germany where i live at the moment is acute 3 months but in the guidelines for med students i read that steroids and infusions are an option up to a year, after a year it is chronic (you can find different definitions in different countries - acute/sub acute/ chronic

but at the end of the day, our bodies are not thinking in 3 months terms, my granny had it for 3 years and it went away. 1/4 of chronic t. goes away on its own acvording to med studies books, i am not a medicine student so i have limited knowledge but i am certain that yours can go away.

& do you lnow why did you get it? so you can work a bit in this direction..like inflamation..noise..or sth else..

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      Only 1/4 :/

14. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      says the book but weather they reallly can tell os another story.. not everybody goes to the doctors.. or doesnt show up anymore when its over etc etc
      id say that it goes away in at least 1/4 of all cases
      then you have people who train themselves not to hear it via cognitive therapies, so they acchieve silence as well
      and people who are not bothered anymore which is also a very good start at least
      so i guess there is plenty of hope for us all to try some things out and work at more levels..health, stress, noise, .. but most importantly live, enjoy, do oir duties, have fun, work, love etc

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/pressure/high volume on music
      Hi! I'd love to answer. I'm shit at remembering to visit this forum!! I'm so sorry everyone :ROFL:

And yes, exactly! All though the very first period during recovery is a fragile one, and I definitely got a loud buzzing in my ears after my first café/bar visits, I felt I needed to be social as well. So I experimented finding that fine line where my hearing wouldn't get ruined but where I also could enjoy music and sounds.

Question 1: It's individual. If you go to a loud concert, maybe use those ear plugs those venues have. Try to build up your 'sound limit'. Maybe try cafés first and then a bar early in the evening when it's not that much noise. I know some people who stayed away from louder venues all together so who knows, maybe that's a good idea also. Extremely high noises are never good, so be careful but also a bit relaxed :)

2: I skipped using my ipod for four months out of pure fear. Then I started with low music and noticed it worked. Now I use my ipod everyday almost.

I'm the same as you. I didn't want it to take over my life, but it did for a while. It was important to me to be able to go to the cinema or be involved in conversations without feeling like I wanted to die from the tinnitus. The first few months I isolated myself because I barely ate and had energy. I still have no idea how I got out of that state. I think it was desperation that got me into trying out the ignoring exercises, not the idea that it would actually work.

You'll be able to use headphones again, but just be careful at first. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Been there :banghead: I was very anxious every night. I didn't sleep in my bed at all because I felt it reminded me that I'd never have a normal night's sleep again. I felt restless and slept in the living room, the sofa, a chair, anywhere but a real bed. This was tough because I've never had issues sleeping. Would fall asleep the moment my head hit the pillow... During tinnitus I lay awake hearing it constantly, and by 3/4 AM I got up crying hysterically against the window out at the dark thinking this isn't something I can live with. I had 10 min of sleep at most, and that was by 6 AM. After several weeks I somehow managed to sleep a bit longer, then in the end I had my first night of real sleep. I think that was from exhaustion. This made me aware that I could still sleep even though the tinnitus was there, and after that it was easier to fall asleep from it. It seems like lots of people have felt it helps with certain sounds, sleeping pills, etc, so if that helps for you then just stick with it. I was very upset how nothing worked on me (though I didn't try sleeping pills). Lack of sleep makes you crazy:nailbiting:

I also had family come over without my knowing. Suddenly they all sat there pretending they had randomly taken a trip but I felt it was to support me, even though they didn't ask directly about the tinnitus. I felt like a patient of sorts, but was very grateful they cared that way. Anything positive, just take it and live on it before the sadness overcomes you again :X3:

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I remember reading the 3 months thing too :X3: I was so scared of that! In the beginning I was also a bit worried of what I ate and how my lifestyle affected the tinnitus, but I hate feeling limited when it comes to having a glass of wine or whatever, and decided early on to not let this become a huge health/which-tea-should-I-drink issue (even though it might have been a good idea to assess the whole body and food relationship). I was very tired from tinnitus and felt I couldn't take one more fucking thing to worry about :meh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. KVfitpro

KVfitpro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown—likely prolonged stress
      Your post really spoke to me— I’m really struggling and it’s so hard to get “out of my head”. Did you have a counselor who helped you with TRT? Some mornings I’m positive that I can get rid of it— had an MRI and there’s nothing medically wrong with my ear so I know it’s a faulty brain connection. How did YOU do it???? Any positive support would be extremely appreciated. Kyle (KVfitpro) I’m a 69 yr old female and this started suddenly one day August 2017.

19. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      Yes i can say for sure that you will get better as i got T back in 1991 after taking antibiotics on a plane flight and after a year or so my brain moved the sound to the background or maybe it just lessened in intensity, but this last December i took some NasaCort and it came screaming back big time. And so for the last 4 months i was living day to day and hour by hour in constant fear and slowly but surely my brain is again moving the noise to the background. And i'm not saying the noise has reduced that much, its just that my brain has gotten used to the noise again and i'm very slowly but surely getting back to a normal life again. So what i'm trying to really say is, you might be thinking t "how can i possibly live with this constant noise in my head" and yes i too was saying that for the last 4 months, but take my word for it, you will absolutely get used to the noise so much that you will stop thinking about it and when you stop thinking about it, it will slowly but surely stop bothering you in a destructive way. Yes its true, you will get better but in a different kind of way and after awhile, you will will realize that you can almost get back to the way you were. Also one thing that might help in this transition/habituation period, is to avoid salty, sugary, salicylate foods as these affect the blood flow i think and make the noise worse, but again, over time, i've been noticing that these particular foods are not affecting me as much as they did a few months ago, so i also think there is some kind of healing going on, but its a super slow process and if it continues at this same rate, then in about another 4 months i may be able to get back to my bad junk food habits, ie peanuts, chocolate, coffee, chips ect, but not tea as tea has a high salicylate content, ie ototoxic, so avoid the high salicylate foods foods for now. Oh and also try to avoid any medications that have the slightest hint of ototoxicity as these kinds of drugs may actually prolong or make your T worse, so if you're having trouble sleeping, use a sound masking machine for a few months and after a month or so, you will be able to get to sleep without the machine because its the fear/panic that's keeping you awake and that will slowly get better as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for this. Curious though, why do you say "almost?" What's the hold up once you get to habituation? What's preventing you at that point from being exactly the way you were? Can you explain this further? Also, you said "you will get better in a different kind of way." What does this mean? Thanks, having a tougher week than usual this week :(

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Hello KVfitpro :)

No, I didn't have a counselor, but did reach out to people who might be able to help me or who had already succeeded in their attempts to recover from tinnitus. I got away from forums completely because anything reminding me of tinnitus as a lifelong thing made me want to die :bored: but doctors told me it would never go away either, so I felt very stuck. Nothing I write onwards will probably make you feel better, because having tinnitus, you feel deep inside nothing will work and that recovery is only for the lucky few.

I did an MRI in addition to various ENT tests, the conclution from several doctors was that it was tinnitus but nothing fatally wrong with the brain itself, though I felt it was fatal because how could anyone live with this static buzz in their ears. As to how I did it, I focused away from tinnitus, which will feel impossible because you're being sent a signal that's not up to you to shut off. You're being sent it because something has happened, either from the outside or inside, and it's sent as an alarm. Its entire intention is for you to realise something's up, so it doesn't matter if you want it to be there or not. It's there for sure. It can uphold itself with loud noises, extraordinary events, going to loud places weekly etc. (esp. if it's acoustic trauma, in which case I was told to vane off loud sounds for a good while and then begin venturing onto habituation).

When you ignore it CONTINUOUSLY, the brain learns it's not important. This is reality, not belief. In your head is a huge amount of static and noise. We hear with our heads, not our ears. Stuff happens in life that 'wake' these sounds. They're not normal and aren't supposed to be there, which enhances their alarming presence because clearly something's wrong and you need to be aware of it. Say it's a fire alarm and you are telling your brain not to worry because you know it's not a fire. This can't be believed. How can you know, anyway? Why aren't you checking for smoke? Those are the forces you're up against; the body's response system, and in many ways, recovery will be impossible unless you remain stubborn and guide your thoughts to detach. It's the reality aspect of not bombarding your hearing with loud noises, which I was careful of, but also to meet in a middle where you yourself are training for strenght and refocusing from within. Strangely, I could go from a louder venue and feel fine, while coming back home was torture. The tinnitus would be so loud compared to straight after a pub visit/loud gig/whatever, as if the discord was too big and too disrupted for my hearing to adjust normally. It was like a tinnitus on top of a tinnitus.

Signals reverberate from somewhere, they are real and tinnitus is not an imagined thing. None of the ignoring/training will make sense to your logic or conscious self, maybe not even after you've recovered. It's like breathing, blinking your eyes or walking. You do it, but you don't think about it. It's a habit. To force yourself not to focus on tinnitus even though it's banging loudly in your ear, low or high, is in itself impossible. Again, something's actually wrong with your hearing. It's not as easy as "forgetting" about it and go on with your day, not at all. Even then you have to continue.

One person in the world told me it was possible, but how could I believe that one person? Who had probably never experienced this hell herself? I wanted to die, and for me the only way out was forcing myself to believe something I didn't really believe. And I never did believe it. I only tried because the other option was horrible. Even after I started experiencing "forgetfulness" (not a word probably) it took me a while to eat normally, relax and be normal again. It was to be desperate, not hopeful. Logging off forums doesn't make it better, but it does shut you off from other peoples' minds, which is important. More important than I can understand even now. You can't trust yourself. I guess stop trusting anything all together. You have to force your attention onwards at all costs, and at some point your brain picks up and forgets on your behalf. This is natural. We do it with most things during our daily routine, though it doesn't normally require this amount of focus. Just go on accord and see the mission through. It's more mechanic than it is mysterious.

Go up when you pay attention to tinnitus, get moving, put on music, ponder about life and death, call someone, do anything to occupy your attention off tinnitus if only for one single second. You could call someone and maybe be able to distract yourself, but then get hold of the person and start a conversation while, fuck, the tinnitus is ringing loudly again. That's fine, those milliseconds of dotting the numbers are important enough. Everything is important enough. Don't judge. Keep on. Distract always. It's exhausting and it will feel like you can never relax again. Always, always distract. Stop being here (forums), stop googling tinnitus, stop comparing the volume intensity from last week to this, distract only, get away. If say, driving a car helps your refocus, then drive for as many hours a day as you can. It will be endlessly sad to feel a tad of recovery only to return to someplace quiet and notice your tinnitus, but that's how it is. It doesn't mean you should stop the process.

I've had tinnitus come back if I've called an ENT doctor to cancel an appointment because I considered myself "healed". I've visited mom again feeling fine and dandy for the first time after recovering, but suddenly experienced tinnitus again laying in my childhood bed at night where I used to have tinnitus to begin with (LOL). At first it would freak me out, but then I realised it was because my mind was reminded of it again. So what to do? Exactly what I'd been doing to get rid of it in the first place. Suddenly, it would take only two days for it to be gone again. Then, mere minutes. Now it doesn't return no matter what I do. I sleep at mom's, I call ENT doctors, any doctor, get involved with any tinnitus forum... It doesnt' return. Return is maybe a wrong word to use... If the brain contains plenty of signals, I assume there are tinnitus signals in bounty too, and that it doesn't vanish or return but just exists, just like a million other signals exists and you're not made aware of them. So in the beginning it won't take a lot to wake the beist. It would be weirder if there was a black and white, or on and off switch. This is all a gradual and slow process, genuinely like training a muscle. It doesn't suddenly appear and suddenly disappear. It's not erratic or strange. You are the person deciding what to accept as signals. Keep focusing and re-focusing. When you feel safe enough, you could preferably challenge the tinnitus and see if you pick it up, try to bring it forth again only to re-train it away. Don't be afraid of it. Tinnitus is old Latin (I believe to remember) for 'tinkling, or ringing a bell'. Try to view it with new eyes. It's not a life sentence of any sort. Looking back, I'd say my main advice is to log off forums. x

Last edited: May 9, 2018
      • Like x 2
      • Winner x 2
      • Genius x 1
      • Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    22. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Awesome post ^^^^^

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      norwaygirl, thank you for writing about your experiance and in such a detail!! it really really helps so so much to see such a constructive perspective on this matter! life is so mich more than tinnitus anyway, mine a bit older than 2 months but lately i started enjoying life again. the beginning is as yoi described it...really hard and lifechanging for the firsz weeks...doom and gloom everywhere and only t matters..but then something switches, it is simply more pleasant to be in a good mood

how long would you say you needed for it to be out of your awarence from the point onwards where you were kind of ok? i meen from tje point onwards when you decided to push t out your mind and could already sleep and function normally?

24. HeidiB

HeidiB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/mild hearing loss
      Thank you so very much for your in-depth responses and advice. It is appreciated here. I’m new to this. Sleep is my biggest struggle. If I could get some solid shut eye it would help immensely. I’m about 9-10 weeks in with this. I lay and just listen for it at night even with masking or taking a melatonin. I try to tell myself it's just a noise but it’s still a struggle. I believe life will get better but it’s like 1 Minute at a time. Again, thank you for returning to help the rest of us ❤️❤️

25. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh man, I remember those nights. I could not sleep either, it was aweful. If I did fall asleep, I would wake up to the loudest T of all time. For me, my sleep patterns resumed to normal around 4 months in (everyone is diff, maybe sooner for you). I still wake up middle of night occasionally, but can fall right back to sleep no problem. I slept with my laptop in my bed, and had a masking station on youtube play all night so I could sleep. Hang in there, I had a volume reduction over time, my T was literally screaming at me all day/night in beginning like where you are now. It should get better as time goes on. Someone said you compare months, not days, and that's helped me be more patient.

I've now had a few days go by and I thought it was gone, and then other days, it's back but not THAT loud. Just loud enough to be annoying, but doable. That's where I am at the moment.

26. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Im in a similar place at the moment.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Soleie

Soleie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music festival
      Hi, this was the most uplifting post in a long time! Thank you for sharing :) I was wondering if you could share this article by this woman you were refering to? (I’m norwegian too, so if it’s written in norwegian it’s all good ;) )

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Florida Viking
      Angelic

Florida Viking Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb.14,2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Dear Norway Girl, I am an American woman, who recently read your Recovery Post. At this point in time, your story is the only thing encouraging me to hold on. After attending a very loud and long concert (front row seats), I developed a bad case of T., Hyperacusis, though, not sure about hearing loss. And, I believe I have Somatic T., e.g., when I move my head in certain positions, the volume changes. I've had this condition for the last 3 months. My level of despair scares me -- my husband and family. I need sleeping pills to sleep, very limited to what I can tolerate in public spaces due to sensitivity to high pitch sounds. When I find myself at my lowest point, I re-read your post. To me, your experience with T., is uncanny; as you describe pretty much everything I'm experiencing. I continue to tell myself, if I follow your lead, I too, can be released from this condition. Although I am of Norwegian descent, in this, I am hardly a fearless viking. But, words have power. Your willingness to reach out to afflicted others in encouragement, sharing your experience, I believe, will be a definite path to healing for many. May I ask the name of the Norwegian Researcher with whom you consulted, during your episode with T.? And, is it possible to communicate with you personally? Thank you for your efforts on behalf of all those in this forum. Sincerely, Florida Viking.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hei Soleie :) How nice with a Norwegian here! Not nice in the sense that we have had/have tinnitus but you know :p Here is an interesting article I found today btw: http://illvit.no/mennesket/hjernen/tinnitus-farvel-til-oeresus.

The researcher's name is Eva-Signe Falkenberg. This article is about how the tinnitus becomes a pain (Norwegian): https://tinnitustips.no/norske/eva-signe-falkenberg/

Neurophysiological model (Norwegian)
      :
      https://tinnitustips.no/nevrofysiologisk-modell/

The initial paper I wrote when depressed with tinnitus and ending up in the ER the same day. I clung to the article like it was my life (Norwegian). http://redir.opoint.com/?key=IdzQkOsw9H77obH74B8C (Excerpt: It's not the sound itself that is the problem, but electrochemical reactions in different parts of the brain that increase the attention level to said reactions. A sound can originally be weak, but will be experienced as strong. We hear with out brains, not our ears, says Falkenberg.)

Tips (Norwegian): https://tinnitustips.no/norske/eva-signe-falkenberg/

Take control
      (Norwegian): https://www.dagensmedisin.no/artikler/1999/01/14/kan-ta-kontroll-over-oresusen/

Unlearn tinnitus (Norwegian): https://forskning.no/medisinske-metoder-menneskekroppen-hjernen/2011/09/hap-om-tinnitus-kur

Other than that, I've read articles that say we're years away from the tinnitus research progress of for example USA, Germany and England. So there might be more to pick up there.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Florida Viking :) I'm probably no viking myself, I think my heritage is from Finland and the north of Norway. Unless they were vikings too... Hmmm... Anyway. You can DM me. Her name was Eva-Signe Falkenberg :) I might be going to Florida next year! When is it not too hot?

By the way, did the somatic and sound induced tinnitus appear at the same time? Or did one precede the other? I remember wondering what I'd do if I had kids during tinnitus. My mom and dad had to take care of me. I was used to being a self relient woman. It felt strange, and very back to basics in a bad way. I'm not sure what's 'normal' in terms of tinnitus, but I had high sensitivity to different pitches in daily life, like a coffee grinder, a lamp, the TV, construction sites, cell phone noises, streetlights, car sounds, etc., so perhaps a certain sensitivity is normal in terms of tinnitus. To me, it felt like a funnel had been released and I had no defence against any outside noises. Like something had opened. When I was at my lowest, I couldn't find any genuine success posts (except https://www.talkbass.com/threads/tinnitus-is-not-incurable.1287792/) and decided to come back in case I got better. It's my belief that most people don't do this because tinnitus becomes a part of the past you don't want to revisit. So again, feel free to DM me :) Good night :)

• Like Like x 1