Tinnitus Gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by norwaygirl, Mar 2, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/pressure/high volume on music
      Hi HeidiB. Sleep was my biggest struggle as well. I believe it's what cost me my job because it's hard to function normally without sleep. I tried masking but it never worked for me. I also tried focusing on other things (the clock ticking did help...after several weeks) but I still heard the tinnitus. I think, maybe from exhaustion, I fell asleep in the middle of the night and it would begin to last longer than normal. That was proof to me that I could sleep while hearing tinnitus, and from then on I had more normal nights. It's truly 1 minute at a time :ROFL: Gosh, it's horrible... I can't even recall how terrible it was. Must've blocked it from all memory :sleep: I love nothing more than sleep and dozing!

• Like Like x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi lena :) I think it's a very individual thing... I tried pushing it out of my mind all I could but still struggled sleeping. After sleeping normally, which was still a sleep filled with anxiety, I didn't function normally at daytime. All in all it must've been many months... Five? Don't concern yourself too much with time in this whole thing. Try to take it month by month. I noticed more progress that way than by counting the days or minutes. This is a big process. Don't focus on the baby steps, they're important but also small pieces of a larger puzzle.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Florida Viking
      Angelic

Florida Viking Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb.14,2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hallo, Norway Girl!

Wow-- I was having a particularly difficult night, tonight, checked the Forum, and-- there was your reply. Somehow, seeing this gave me instant hope, again. Thank you so very much, Tusen takk, for your kindness, your compassion, for the researcher's name --- and all your efforts on my behalf-- a stranger. Wow.

I still have some family in Vest-Agder; where my family originated. In 2010, my husband and I visited Norway. Upon arriving in Norway, I immediately sensed I had "returned home." Very mysterious.

The ideal time to visit Florida would be November through April. The winter months are the best! You definitely don't want to travel here in the summer months. The sun is oppressive, not pleasant.

I noticed the somatic symptoms after I was aware of the T.-- over a few weeks/ a month or so? My increasing symptoms have unfolded over time/ weeks.

Did your T. & Hypercusis diminish at the same time?

Your description of Hypercusis is spot on. I am experiencing this just as you write about it.

Also, I'm not sure how to DM-- still investigating this.

Again, thank you so very much for your graciousness. I am so grateful.

God Natt.

Florida Viking

4. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      norwaygirl, thank you very much for your replies!! it os awsome that you still come here and help us!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Soleie

Soleie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music festival
      Haha! (Glad to be able to see som fun in all this «sorrow» :p) It means a lot you taking the time to post all of this, så tusen hjertelig takk! I will start reading right away!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Very inspiring and if I can, I will work on ignoring mine. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    7. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      just wanted to say I love this post. Im new here, and you gave me hope. Mine sounds a lot like yours. and, although mine is noise induced, I think in time I will be able to learn to ignore it and get back to normal. my issue isnt sleeping, but eating. when I get stressed I tend to not eat... it sucks cause I love food. food= happiness to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying? in 18
      Just to verify, this is a habituation story, right? Your T didn't legitimately go away, right?
      As another newbie, it's just hard to comprehend how someone can block out T, at least T as loud as mine right now.

9. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @norwaygirl I first read your posts a few months ago and just logged on to let you know that your way of expressing what you did resonated with me so well! It helped me immeasurably and has helped me to frame the way I have dealt with this, and, success! I still 'hear' the tinnitus but it is SO far into the background and I am so firmly enmeshed in the belief and attitude that it is healing and on its way out (or, there but NOT there), and, I am well more than a couple of years into this. I just wanted to send you the BIGGEST THANK YOU and to let you know that you have made a REAL DIFFERENCE for me (and for many others). Sending you lots of love and hugs!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know how you feel. I'm not really sure what it's called? I think it's called habituation, because it became a habit to focus onto other sounds? I'm not too familiar with the definitions. The tinnitus is not audible anymore though, I can't hear it.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow! That's an amazing message to receive :) I'm so happy for you, and that it works! That's just amazing. I'm so glad!! Lots of love and hugs back to you, and keep me updated further :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Still continuing to improve, norwaygirl, and I truly thank you. I think of you at times, when I marvel at how your specific way of expressing your coping/how you dealt with it just resonated perfectly with me. I am just grateful that you posted here. Sometimes my ears feel so much more normal than they have for so long (not pre-tinnitus normal, but there is this overall calmness - almost a "glow of relief" feeling in them). Whenever that happens, I have a quick thought that reading your post was the start of a new phase for me, and I think how we all can help each other on this earth. So, you've done very helpful things here for others and THANK YOU.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      how do you just ignore hyperacusis? honest question?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I noted the beginning was horrible, I'd pick up on everything and also did wonder if I had a sort of extra sensitivity wrong with my tinnitus on top of the tinnitus itself, or that I had an infection due to the very different pitches and sounds I heard that would be inaudible to "normal" ears. I mean as a side of the actual tinnitus. I felt they were paired up.

During the ignoring training or what to call it, I only focused on ignoring tinnitus. The hyperacusis went away with that after a while, it all became a big mess to me and at the time I didn't even know the word hyperacusis. I haven't gotten to the depths of hyperacusis other than being told it's due to the awakening of tinnitus and hence the ear will pick up everything else too due to the onset, like a hyper aware reaction. My ears were sensitive to pitches and screeches I'm sure only mice can hear, it was insane. It was like an open tunnel into the insides of my brain. Do you have it as strongly as in the beginning, or has it faded, then come back again, or only recently started?

15. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      no dude, I was getting better then over the last 2 weeks ive been exposed to some loud sounds and im in a pretty bad spike. my t used to go away at night and now it really doesn't anymore. im 5 1/2 months in.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amazing that you're still improving, it's a tough road. I'm happy for your progress! How exactly is the "glow of relief" feeling? I remember the stages between doctors saying it will never go away, and everything I read online - versus the ignoring and training and doing all I could, was a clear sense of two phases. It's two completely different grounds to be on, and the latter is the hardest because mostly you won't be believed, and in general it will feel impossible to even conquer it at all:ROFL:

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see. I was exposed to loud sounds a while into the tinnitus, and coming home after that as well as the rest of the night and next day it was very hyper sensitive again. I thought I was nearly rid of it and it was so demotivating to feel it was back almost stronger than ever.

18. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Norwaygirls’ description makes sense to me:

H reminds me of a toothache. When you have a cavity in your tooth it begins to ache. But when the nerve within the tooth is exposed that pain multiplies.

I think I have / had a cavity... but people suffering from (severe) hyperacusis have their nerve exposed...

When I got my T, I had a mild case of hyperacusis and that tensor tympani syndrome thing. The last one disappeared with my anxiety. Knowing what tts was and how it was triggered helped a lot.

The hyperacusis part got better (luckily) after a few months and in part I had to adapt my lifestyle.

Let’s say I used to be comfortable with sounds up to 100db. Right after T that comfort level dropped to 70-75. Everything above that made me cringe and trigger tts. Now that comfort level goes up to 80-82 again. Anything above that requires my fitted earplugs. Also for protection.

John Adams, I hope your tolerance will increase as well. Even the slightest improvement can make a significant difference.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Starving

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I really hope so. This is rough.

20. Arnela
      Doubtful

Arnela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dunno. Maybe antibiotics, maybe stress.
      Very inspiring to hear your story. And congrats with your progress! Is there any way I can get in contact with you through some other channels? Social media maybe?

I'm a 30 year old girl from Copenhagen, and I can really relate to the things you are writing. I am in the early stage of all of this. Got the T 6-7 weeks ago - but I know now that I have had these sounds earlier in my life. Especially when going to bed.

But I just ignored the sound and thought everybody had it - and it would also disappear the next morning. I seriously never thought about it and it was never a problem for me. Until 6-7 weeks ago.

I started to notice it during work and it wouldn't stop at all. Managed to ignore it for 2 days, but then I got aware of it again 2 days later - and then hell broke loose.

Since then I have spent a lot of money on different things and have been in a state of anxiety and depressed. I haven't worked the past monts/5 weeks because of the T and because I don't sleep much. The sleep is maybe 5-10 procent better since the early days, but it still isn't good and as it was before. Sleeping is seriously my favorite thing of all - or it was...

My problem is also that I enjoy silence when I have to sleep. I can't stand sounds around me and therefore I have been sleeping with ear plugs in many years- especially when I sleep in my own apartment, where I have noise from the traffic coming in.

So yeah, the masking thing with sounds isn't an option for me.

Anywho, hope I can talk or write to you at some point. Alt hjælp er velkommen!

/Arnela

• Hug Hug x 3
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Arnela :) I can relate, not able to work and being anxious and depressed. Masking was no option for me either, I need complete silence to fall asleep, so that wasn't easy during tinnitus :X3: Masking only covers the tinnitus, I never tried it as a method to actually get rid of it. But who knows. We could chat on the inbox here on the forum and see from there? I'm actually going to Copenhagen 27th November, if you happen to be in town!

22. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Nice story.
      Its "funny" to read about masking. I need a Black Metal concert to mask my T at night. Fortunately I can sleep even in the worst conditions.

23. Arnela
      Doubtful

Arnela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, complete silence is also a MUST for me. I've tried in the start to sleep with music, sounds, podcast and so on - but that wasn't a good experience for me.
      The positive thing is that I don't have anxiety attacks in the middle of the night anymore. I used to wake up 20 times at night, but it is better now.

I have been going to a psycho therapist who is an expert i hypnosis, and maybe the hypnosis thing has helped me to calm a bit down about it, even if the T is present all the time. Also in my mind.
      Can't imagine not thinking about the T, because... Yeah, how? I think you can relate :)

Yes, we can write together in the inbox - but I'm new here, so can't see where to write to you in the inbox?

And great with at trip to Copenhagen. I think I will be here, so we can definitely meet up if you have the time.

/Arnela

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I felt the same way. And also, it really was impossible to not think about the tinnitus since it's blaring inside of your head. Shifting focus onto other sounds won't feel like it's working in the beginning. If I tried to ignore tinnitus I would just think about what I'm ignoring and in that sense you're still stuck with hearing it. So instead of viewing it as ignoring tinnitus, try to think of it as focusing onto other sounds. That way it's not about ignoring, but forcing your focus onto other things.

In the middle of it all, no matter how much you shift focus, there will be times during the day and night you fall apart because you realise it will never go away. Also, it can be mentally tiring to always need to force your focus onto something, it would be impossible to keep it up at all times. Even then you have to keep doing it. There is no way anyone can do this perfectly. Pure persistence is the only thing causing the mind to place tinnitus away. The brain will eventually adapt to its focus always being forced onto other things/sounds, and by that learns it doesn't need to send you the tinnitus signal anymore. One thing is for you to want it to go away, but to change actual signals in your head takes a long-term approach that will make very little sense, and offer barely any type of progress (at first). I try not to use too much metaphors but it's like trying to walk through a forest without a trail. To create a trail you have to walk it persistently and as much as you can. Mean while it's exhausting because the shrubbery is still in the way, the rocks and dirt, the grass, the entire forest is just a mess. Still you keep on and on and on ... Whoever you meet will tell you they've been in the woods for decades and there will be no way out.

This wouldn't make sense to me a year ago. I never had hopes or a belief it would work. Even after it was gone I had a nervousness in my bones that took a long time to loosen up. To sum up, the beginning is much like two parallel worlds, sure you can shift focus, but that doesn't make the tinnitus inaudible - until it actually starts to. When it does start to, you won't register it while it's happening because your focus has become sharp enough to concentrate entirely onto another sound. Only later would one notice that, yeah, I might've had a few seconds not hearing tinnitus while I did this and that. To me, this started with 2-4 seconds at first during a 24/7 time period. When that started, I took it as proof it can go away and I hung on to that for dear life. But to ever imagine sitting in silence was still a far stretch. I worried having a lifetime of willing my focus onto different sounds just to be sane. In the end, the brain takes over completely and you don't have to actively seek out distractions. That's when the 'trail is set'. The signals are perceived by the brain as so unimportant, they're not necessary to alarm you of. It would never learn this by your words or frustration, but by experience and repeated actions on your part.

I'll text you in private message here by the way :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Arnela
      Doubtful

Arnela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you again for the in depth answer.

When I try to think logically about all of this - it really makes sense. Don't focus on the sound and it will eventually disappear - or be at a very low volume.
      I guess it's what I had earlier in my life - and then it would spike sometime, but I didn't take notice to it og gave it any importance. And it would disappear.

But this time - I gave it all. Attention, anxiety, all of my thought. And therefore its stays with me everyday/and night.

I read you inbox message, but I can't reply. Maybe you have to follow me so I can reply?

/Arnela

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's hard not to get anxious from it. I wondered if I fuelled it on by being so scared, especially since reading about how tinnitus works on a mechanical level helped me relax more and take the edge off the fear - but it was still very much present. There's no way it's a choice. The training of shifting focus is more about raw willpower and not so much choosing, because it won't feel like you have any choice against that monster at all :ROFL:

I don't have to follow you I think.. Hm. At least I've talked with plenty of people in the inbox I don't follow. Odd! I'll try again by following you :)

27. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Honestly this is the best post I've read on here. It makes SO. MUCH SENSE. the brain is amazing. it can be your best friend or your worse enemy. Maybe I missed it, but Norway girl how long would you say the process took? and girl, you should write a book!

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    28. Aoileann Nic

Aoileann Nic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible: sinus problems and stress, not sure
      Hey, JuneStar,

I’m not answering for Norway Girl but my opinion would be that it depends on the person. I have tinnitus 6 months now and although it felt like a god awful catastrophy 6 months ago, it doesn’t feel like that now. The good days far outweigh the bad and I’m certainly beoming more comfortable with T and with the possibility that there may be some level of T around for the rest of my life. If I dwell on it, it will bother me. But hey, if you dwell on anything negatively, it bothers you so the answer is not to.

2 months in the thought that it may never go away totally freaked me out, but your brain is really a wonderfully powerful thing. I am so comfortable with it now, all I want is to continue with this trajectory and let it sink into the background. It will, if we let it.

You’ve had your T since August, how are you doing?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      norwaygirl
      Dancing

norwaygirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks JuneStar! My dream is to publish a book so that's the best compliment I could ever get - as far as anything can be counted as a compliment in terms of tinnitus :ROFL:

Hmm... I don't have specific dates, except for the onset back in September 2017, but by Christmas that year I noticed progress due to the focus shifting thing. My family brought it up on Christmas Day, though, and the very moment they did, I heard it again. I was terrified I'd never, truly be free of it. So that took more training again for a while. It was hard to 'reign tinnitus in' in the beginning and it seemed like anything would re-ignite it throughout my fragile and slow process. After a while, when it would ignite so to speak, I'd be able to shift focus and go back to normal hearing after a few days or even hours. I'd say my mind or focus got stronger, but in reality this was what all the training eventually leads up to: which is the different brain functions taking over and 'forgetting' tinnitus (or shifting focus automatically) on your behalf. This becomes such a habit as you've hammered it in for months on end, that it has no other choice but to become exactly that - a habit you don't need to consciouscly upkeep. The signal is sorted as a non-important thing, since the continouous shift of focus proves to the brain that it is indeed not important. And yes, I know in reality it's not at all as easy as me describing it like that. Nothing about this is easy. I don't think my stomach muscles unclenched from anxiety until well after the tinnitus was gone:ROFL:

Also, you won't notice when it actually starts to take a backseat, or the first experiences of silence, because you've shifted focus persistantly enough throughout months and months onto something else anyway. It's like a marathon from hell. So to be rid of tinnitus is a very anti climactic, gradual (and to some, anxiety laden) kind of thing. The biggest trap of it is that you won't feel progress until late in the game, and that the training all along should be as persistant as you possible can manage, which is mentally tiring. It must be one of the most hopeless feelings in the world. Gah, I feel sick just thinking about it :sour: But oh, well. It's not about hope either way. You're merely downplaying the importance of the signal itself to your brain, like a constant, non-spoken communication, so that the signal can be set back with the rest of the millions of signals our brain contains that we don't need to hear in our everyday lives.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Virginia girl

Virginia girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @norwaygirl... not even sure if you're still on here but I wanted to thank you for your story. It has put my mind and heart in such a better place. I know everyone’s story is different and some will get past this better than others. But I can at least say I do have a little more hope now. I’m still kinda new to tinnitus, it has been almost 4 months for me now. I have struggled really bad.

Today I laid on the floor and cried to a point I didn’t think I could go on with life this way.

And it seems so hard and strange at times to push it away but I have days that it’s very low and I think ok I can do this.

Then I have days I really struggle to hear it. And for reason beyond my control I already suffered from anxiety so I have a mental break down crying and stressing that I’m stuck like this forever. And I wake up the next day and it’s so loud I can barely tolerate getting through the day period.

So I’m so confused of all these ups and downs with it. Is it normal? How do you forget about the sound when it comes and goes so much? It’s like a roller coaster.

Plus my hearing is fine and my tinnitus is not loud noise induced...