Tinnitus Has Made Me Realize That Life Is Too Short

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Jul 12, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I'm just going to have a you only live once attitude from now. I'm scared as shit for the future so determined to enjoy life whilst I can.

That started today, just bought a 350Z Nismo, a car I've always wanted to have.

Has T had this effect for anyone else? I don't want to have any regrets if it gets too hard to cope with!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      That's exactly why I dropped a bunch of money on a trip to Italy. Two more days to go. I've already seen so much and will post pics soon! Live it up.
      I am going to see Pompeii and Herculaneum tomorrow. :beeranimation:
      Cheers mate.
      Ben

• Like Like x 10
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great! :D Italy is a country I'd like to visit too, tempted to drive there in my new car!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      You should do it... Just take in mind driving can be a bitch in Roma ! And Venice you have to leave your car in the garage... No cars...just boats!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess there's options like with London, park on the outside and get a train in. :) Wouldn't want to drive in Rome! Anyway have a great last couple of days in Italy!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      Similiar position.
      My T is pretty much unmaskable except shower maybe.

It made me make up my mind about how I want to live my life. I will give up couple of pleasures like going to loud concerts because they are cool but not so important to me in the end and I will pursue travelling because this is a lot quieter hobby and it's really great to visit new places.

7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I thought life was too short prior to T, now I think it is WAY too long.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Brilliant attitude! I need to digest and think about this... :)

9. I hear ya but frankly I wish there was a humane suicide center available. Id love to just go drink a cup of something that soothes me to a permanent sleep at this point. Not trying to be dramatic, just sayin'.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      suicide-booth-in-use.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    11. Ha! Yep. Oregon has the death elixir I would use but it's only for terminal illnesses. IMO everyone should have the right to kill themselves for any reason in a humane way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Dying In Oregon is a documentary available on Netflix that discusses this elixir. It's a very powerful movie, be prepared.

13. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      At least in the US you have a few options. In the UK we all have to schlep over to Switzerland.

Still you couldn't be in a more beautiful place - oh and knowing the Swiss economy it probs costs a fortune.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had the 'I have to get everything out of this life'-attitude long before T started.
      In fact, I have it so much that it makes me the odd one out at any social gathering. It seems that everyone wants to take it easy, while I want RUN, JUMP, GO! There's all this stuff I want to do! Music, books, articles, stop all these human rights violations, travel everywhere, meet all these people, have all these interesting conversations, explore all these new ideas... and... and... and...

Yes, T has slowed me down at bit for now, and going back to school means that I'll be without money for the next five years, which is unfortunate, but after that it should open up a whole lot of possibilities for living abroad and travelling.

Now, if you excuse me, I've got to get away from this forum and LIVE! :)

• Like Like x 4
    15. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I think this poses the same thing for me. I'm in university in my hometown but was thinking about another school in ontario. Since getting tinnitus I feel like I want to actually take the plunge and transfer so that maybe a little good could come from this situation

16. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Thanks for the info. I looked it up, and the name of the documentary is How to Die in Oregon. It's got a 5-star rating on Netflix.

I'm going to watch it tonight. I love Oregon with all my heart, and one of the reasons is because the people of Oregon by and large believe in allowing dignity of death when the situation becomes too grim. Unfortunately, there's no way for a doctor to hear what the tinnitus sounds like in a person's head, so they look at someone who appears to be physically sound and reject their request to die peacefully.

Maybe someday medical science will come up with a way of reading our hyperactive brain signals and interpreting them as sound waves. Even so, hearing something for a few moments in the external environment is nothing at all like having it banging around in your head 24/7.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Finally got my new car today :) The only problem is, it's much louder than I anticipated! 90db on the A Roads / Motorway.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Glad to read the above positive posts about getting as much out of life as you can. I guess it depends on how bad you are and what other medical issues you may have to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. buzztone

buzztone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My suffering will be over when I die, but so will I. My only way through such a conundrum is to embrace whatever peace I can get and live life to the fullest (I felt this way before T too, and even more strongly now). How well you are able to do that depends on many factors, not just the level of your condition but your overall support network, your genetics, your history... too many things to list here.

20. three4rd
      Thinking

three4rd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably long-term sound exposure and hearing loss
      Life is very short even withOUT tinnitus! So I applaud the "only live once" attitude. That old "someday I'll do (this) or (that)" adage is crap. I've found that, in that way of thinking, often the "someday" never comes. Now is when we all are living. As to travel, it is one of my passions also.

21. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      "Tinnitus Has Made Me Realize That Life Is Too Short".
      For me being a little older, tinnitus has made me hope my life IS too short.

22. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yep, just came back from Tenerife where i spent 3 weeks over Christmas and New Years , just said fuck it ,I am leaving. Spent a lot of money and lived like a King. Indeed , life is too short. :p

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Carlos
      Surrender

Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do what you can and enjoy as much as you can, stay safe and wear ear protection when necessary. Enjoy

24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have insane tinnitus ans it is super loud and not maskable. I drive my porsche 911 in sports mode and the exhaust is loud. Yes, you do live once and need to enjoy life. Don't let tinnitus stop you from fully living..