Tinnitus, Hearing Loss and Dementia?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason C, Oct 4, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Since acquiring tinnitus and a degree of hearing loss due to exposure to a loud siren last may, I have been doing a lot of research as one does. My hearing loss does seem mild (5db Dip at 4k) aural fullness mostly in the left ear, the tinnitus is hard to deal with and the life changes that brings with it are very scary.

As many of us on here would in fairness be a lot more knowledgeable on the subject than most doctors, Do we agree that there is a link between tinnitus, hearing loss and dementia??

I can see how the link would be made with age related hearing loss as if one was too lose hearing due to ageing then the same process could be responsible for causing memory and cognitive issues leading to dementia.
      Hearing loss along with reduced quality of life and being isolated from society to a degree would possibly accelerate the process.

My question is, Does hearing loss caused by noise exposure pose the same risks of developing dementia?? Obviously tinnitus is enough to drive someone nuts and hearing loss is difficult to deal with. I would assume after damage due to noise exposure that hearing gets worse faster over time and therefore the social isolation would also play a part along with the cognitive decline in the brain.

I know this is not something any of us want to think about but just trying to get an idea on your thoughts??

Jason.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Not sure but 5db isn't really a loss, it is well within the normal range.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Indeed however I am sure I have lost a lot of the higher frequencies and lower frequencies aswell as music now sounds horrible and I can no longer listen to it, I cant go into noisy environments like the gym or a bar or any loud social gathering without ear plugs, I now understand that hearing well is a lot more than just the standard 8k audiogram. I also have issues with balance which I can only relate to what must be noise induced damage to the vestibular system.
      Before this happened I could hear all the way up to 18k on the crappy youtube hearing test that I didn't really understand well until now anyway, but now I cant hear past 13k, I am fine talking to people and I can hear speech clearly but I know I have a hearing problem and life will be very difficult from now on!

It is fair to say that an external sounder on a burglar alarm can really destroy your life if you are in front of it when it goes off!

4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I don't think so necessarily with noise induced hearing loss. I had read the studies as well and, as you mentioned, the secondary effects of dementia seem to be related largely to social isolation and lack of communication as a consequence of severe hearing impairment, or at least that is what they have theorized. If you get hearing aids or a CI as one of the steps to prevent a social barrier, there is talk that it would mitigate this secondary side effect. Most of the research is just a correlation, however, and nobody yet knows the reason why precisely (or correct me if I am wrong about this and that new research has come out). I also know very little about dementia.
      Then again, good inner ear and vestibular function are directly tied to the functioning of cognitive processes. Any incapacitation with your balance from more severe inner ear problems can lead to brain fog, cognitive problems, potentially some forms of memory loss, etc, because your brain is using more of its power than usual to compensate for a lack of vestibular, and possibly hearing input. It's simply a lack of energy and input into other regions of your brain. Can't find the clinical papers, but this website has provided a tidbit summary about the effects of an inner ear disorder on cognition:
      http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

When I had more severe vertigo back last year, I did experience brain fog, trouble finding words, slurred speech, etc. They went away within a few weeks, and may well have been related to recurring migraines, which can produce the same effect. But for me, there has definitely been a transient effect on my cognition. My memory (at least my long term memory), on the other hand, is still sharp as a whip even when I was experiencing this!

And you yourself should not be worrying about this. 5 db of hearing loss at 4k is nothing, and very healthy more or less. I envy that that is the only loss you have, and you should have little concern about very advanced inner ear consequences, including dementia in the present. All you really need to focus on is protecting yourself from loud noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      May I ask what caused your acoustic trauma??
      I do also have balance issues and my concentration along with short term memory has been seriously affected, I cant think properly or plan tasks, I was hoping this would largely be down to stress over the last 4 months as I can no longer relax. The only thing that is keeping me afloat so far is the fact I am self employed and have staff I can rely on to get the jobs done otherwise I would be ruined very quickly instead of watching my life slowly get washed away as it is now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I agree with you Jason. Over the last two years I've noticed my concentration, memory and application to tasks isn't what it once was. The distraction effect?

7. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      @JasonC

My (original) hearing loss was caused by listening to my ipod too much up through 2014. My real problems started after being exposed to a loud scream with my earplugs in. You can read about the rest on my profile page.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing. All to similar to my situation; I'm glad you have a good job though. I'm still housebound and unemployed.

Have you done any vestibular therapy yet?

8. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      No vestibular therapy as yet as still awaiting an appointment, It's amazing that loud noise can be so damaging. I suppose no one can understand how much of a problem it is unless they have experienced it or lived with it, My wife dosent understand it at all and I know it will only be a matter of time before this relationship breaks down and I lose her too, With Christmas coming up I am really feeling the difference now, All the parties and xmas dinners I will not be able to attend this year but they are only a few of thousands of social events I will miss as the years go on, A good friend of mine is getting married this month and obviously I cant attend as weddings are too loud for me.
      I know I am felling sorry for myself and depressed but my life has done a complete 180 degree turn this last 4 months, All I can think of is - no more holidays, no more parties, no more concerts, no more restaurants, no more gym, no more music, no more life.

It seems all we have too look forward to is cognitive decline while sat in quiet spaces listening to the ringing.

*When the music stops turn off the lights"

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Woah you are really letting this take hold of you. No more restaurents and weddings??? I go to a restaurent nearly every week and i have a wedding to go to next weekend. Concerts i can understand but the other things you mentioned i am not sure why you would avoid. When you say to loud, are you having pain?

10. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Loud noise like a group of people laughing do hurt my ears yes, music sounds like a garbled mess, When I have been in a loud environment like a restaurant, immediately after my T is screaming and my ears feel stuffed even if I have been taking brakes and using ear plugs. Its ridiculous, I'm only 36, I keep looking at old people in their 80s and I can never imagine myself being that age now.
      I also believe that the damage I have done from the alarm is a lot worse than just noise induced tinnitus people get from a club or a concert, its probably similar to damage caused by gun fire or explosion that military personnel can be unlucky enough to be subjected too, I mean if my hearing loss is so mild why does music sound so crap. I know hypercausis I spart of it all but that has faded in the last month or so.

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
    12. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Thanks Michael, I have read it already, Very well written but unfortunately nothing will help me at the moment.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Jason C Thank you for your kind words. Jason, you are in the early days with tinnitus and we all know that it's not easy. Have a word with your GP if you're feeling a little depressed and he or she will be able to prescribe you something to help you cope. If you have a printer, please print out the Positivity and tinnitus page on the link that I sent you and keep it close to hand. Read it whenever you want some reassurance. It will help make you focus on the positive things in your life.
      Michael

14. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Thanks Michael but it is very difficult to see anything positive in life, It is very difficult for me to imagine a future like this, I am facing the break down of my life and family, the possibility of cognitive decline, Life is not fun any more, I got my strength from my physical and mental health and I really cant believe all that is gone from noise exposure, I was always very careful with my ears, I didn't think about them a lot as most people don't but I didn't use ear buds or blast them with a lot of loud music, I enjoyed loud music but on speakers and the odd party. It kills me that I cannot enjoy music anymore, I know more about this condition now than most doctors, unfortunately the more I understand the more afraid of the future I become, I cant even drive my car any more as it is too loud, trappings of success eh!

Going back to my original post, what are your thoughts on hearing loss and cognitive decline??

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Jason C Jason, all what you are experiencing I have been through and believe me I'm no-one special. My tinnitus and hyperacusis was so bad when people spoke to me I had to cover my ears and say: "please lower your voice as my ears hurt". I couldn't go into a shop/store that had a cctv tube monitor, as my ears could hear the UHF ultra high frequency that it would emit. CRT monitors (tubes) are no longer used as LCD tvs have taken over. My world wasn't a happy one but I got through it and you can too.

You say you have nothing positive in your life but I'm sure you do. That's why I suggested you print the Positivity and Tinnitus page. I'm not telling you this to boost my ego, That page is a form of counselling that you can read whenever you feel unsure about your circumstances. Look, life is problematic and everyone has problems. When you get over your tinnitus believe me you will come out a much stronger person. You are much stronger than you think but you got to believe in yourself.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling up rising every time that we fall.

I want you to hold on to the above thoughts. Print them out and put it somewhere where you can read it believe me it will help inspire you.

Michael

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @jason @Newbie

Life Is Problematic

I have spoken to many people that have intrusive tinnitus. Some that are new to its sudden onset, and others that have habituated for a while, but for some reason a resurgence of the tinnitus has lasted longer than a spike, and has left them feeling insecure and with the believe that things wont improve. I just want to say that I have also been in these situations.

At times like this, one might find themselves thinking: My life is over. Why can’t they find a cure? Why did this happen to me? Someone phoned me up who I had been counselling for a short while and was having a particularly difficult time with his tinnitus and said. Every time that he’s out he can’t stop looking at people’s ears and wondering what it would be like to be them and not hear the sound of roaring tinnitus. The negative vibes I thought, we all get them and they can come upon us with little or no warning. I knew he was feeling sorry for himself and we are all entitled to feel that way but I wanted him to try and look at his situation differently.

I explained that even the most optimistic and successful people have down times and they don’t necessarily have tinnitus, for life is problematic and few of us go through it without problems. We have no idea what another person is going through so be careful what you wish for. He continued listening. I know tinnitus isn’t easy especially when it’s severe but hold on to the thought that it will improve. I still had his attention so continued.

In an attempt to make him feel better I mentioned that life throws challenges at us and puts obstacles in our way. Perhaps if everything came easily to us we would never grow and develop and in some cases not reach our full potential without some struggle, or appreciate the good things that we have in life. He mentioned that he was a maths teacher, happily married with two children and had a business with his brother. He agreed that things hadn’t always gone smoothly but overcoming certain problems and issues in his life seemed to make everything worth while, until he got tinnitus. I understood where he was coming from, but at the same time trying to reassure him that things would improve although it may take a little time.

His doctor prescribed an antidepressant but he didn’t want to take them and asked me what I thought. It wasn’t my place to advise him on this issue but I told him of my experience with medications for my tinnitus and the help I had received at ENT.

When I first had tinnitus I had taken antidepressants for a while, which helped me not to become too down. In later years I took clonazapam 2x 0.5mg when my tinnitus was severely intrusive. It helped a lot. I was advised of it’s addictive nature and closely monitored by my GP. I mentioned that I only take them once in a while now.

This gentleman kept in touch and told me he decided to take the anti-depressants. Then he went quiet for a while. One evening I got a call from him, telling me his tinnitus had reduced and was improving all the time and he had returned to work which made him very happy.

Michael

17. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      May I ask what happened to bring about your tinnitus and hyperacusis??
      I first noticed my hyperacusis a month after the trauma, I went on holiday and the plane was very loud thankfully I had noise cancelling headphones but any time I took them off the plane seemed so loud I was sure something was wrong with the engines. I didn't know anything about acoustic trauma at this point and still though the problems with my ears would go away and maybe 2 weeks on the beach was what I needed. The 14 hour flight there and then back 2 weeks later I am sure didn't help my situation. That coupled with speed boats and jet skis while on holiday didn't do me any favours.

How is you tinnitus and hyperacusis now?? My hyperacusis has faded a lot now but groups of people and music still feel very loud and hurt my ears.

And your thoughts on hearing loss and dementia??

I wish I knew as much about hearing and tinnitus as I do now 4 months ago.

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Jason C
      My Hyperacusis is completely cured now for 18 years. I wore white noise generators as part of TRT and the treatment lasted 2 years. My tinnitus calmed down too but in 2008 it got worse caused by loud music although I didn't think it was loud at the time. I am left with variable tinnitus that ranges from: silent, mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe.
      In the 20 years I that I've had tinnitus I have never heard of anyone mentioning hearing loss and dementia. Do you live in the UK? If so, have you been to ENT yet?
      Michael

19. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I know what you mean about looking a people's ears. I do this all the time, it seems like everyone is wearing apple ear buds enjoying their music while walking around town (something I never did anyway) but I would love to do that now, In fact I would probably never take them out and end up with tinnitus anyway lol

I have had many ups and downs in my life, it's never been easy, my father passed away when I was young, financial problems after leaving uni along with high anxiety and stress and only in the last few years have things been going the right way and then this happens. I know many people have their struggles and life isn't easy, I honestly felt I could deal with anything but this is permanent its never going to go away. It's going to be part of my future and thinking of all the things I am going to miss out on is not easy.
      Honestly seems like a life no longer worth living.

20. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Yes I am in the U.K. Still waiting for appointment with ent.
      Plenty of studies on hearing loss and dementia although I think it's the social isolation along with constant anxiety, stress etc that attributes to the condition but other studies show changes in brain activity with reduced hearing and therefore neurological adaptions leading to hormonal changes within the brain that could cause cognitive decline.

This statement seems very true "if you damage your ears you damage your brain"

May I ask what caused your tinnitus originally??

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Jason C Well you have been through a lot and the experiences that you've had in the pass will give you strenght to carry on and you can do this believe me. I forgot to mention my tinnitus was caused by headphone use. Over a long period of time listening to music at too high a volume but I didn't have a clue I was causing harm to myself. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

I look at my life and know things could be a lot worse. Just turn on the TV or buy a newspaper and see what's going on around the world is enough to make one look at the own life and say: "Yes I have problems but I'm not going to let them bring me down". I look back at when I first got tinnitus and Ithought the same as you but with time and patience and the belief that it wasn't going to ruin my life I out though the other side into the light.

In 2008 my tinnitus reached unimanagable levels. It took me 4 years to habituate and was one of the lowest points in my life. I asked my consultant to please be candid with me about my tinnitus and she said: "in all my years of being an ENT dr, you are the second worst patient that I have met" I felt the floor open and Iwanted to sink. She said something that immedicately made me feel better. " I will never give up on treating you". And here Iam today and she helped me bring me back from the brink and so did my hearing therapist. I owe a lot to them.
      Michael

22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Jason C Have to go now best of luck for and hang in there
      All the best
      Michael

23. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Indeed things could be worse but I though things had finally started going the right way for me.

Do you have much hearing loss??
      I think I could deal with things easier if my issues were caused by a concert or listening to music too high on ear buds. It bothers me that I was exposed to a 120db alarm for 5-6 minutes and this has changed my life forever. The issues with balance I can't deal with either.

In a way I think I am lucky I can hear at all after that, it didn't hurt at the time although it was a shock but I tried to shut the sounder off instead of getting out of the way. Very stupid.

24. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      AFTER having tinnitus for about 1 year i developed a bad case of hyperacusis. Six months on and I am now noticing difficulty hearing speech in background noise and significant cognitive impairment. My memory is terrible, planning is difficult, speech and conversation skills are declining, decision making is hard as well.

I suspect that when I developed the H it was a result of NEURONS disconnecting from the haircells in my ears and as a result my brain now has less information coming in through the auditory nerve. It now has to devote other resources to try and understand the degraded information that it's recieving, therfore anything requiring cognitive power is suffering.

That's my understanding of it anyway I can't site any sources on this, I can't remember where I read about this- how ironic.

Even writing this post I've had to correct myself multiple times. I'm only 20, i'm studying politics at university (a very wordy, dens and theoretical subject) and I really am concerned about how my grades might suffer when is sit my exams this year.

I think the only way to improve this is through trying to increase NGF in the brain and eventually stem cells to repair the auditory nerve/hearing system.

I know @Nick Pyzik has mentioned some memory changes as well...

25. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Hi Kane

After doing a fair bit of my own research on this subject it seems that the link between cognitive decline and hearing loss is closer in individuals with age related hearing loss, especially with individual who experience hearing loss due to natural causes as this would suggest a chemical or hormonal change in the brain leading too cognitive decline.
      Study's were an individual suffers hearing loss due to an acoustic trauma, physical damage to the auditory system by medication or disease is less clear.

For example, one of my clients, an elderly gentleman in his 70s had has tinnitus and hearing loss since he was 15 due to a tumour within the brain stem, he is sharp as a tack for his age.

In Your case at the age of 20 with t over such a short period of time I would suggest that your issues with concentration could be caused by stress of tinnitus and hyperacusis along with life stresses of uni etc

If cognitive decline was too be influenced by hearing loss it would take many many years too become obvious imo. Also there is a link with social isolation due to hearing loss and cognitive decline, many factors too consider and the numbers of individuals in most study's are very limited.

I know when I had acoustic trauma along with t and h I couldn't function at all, this was all down to the stress of the situation I was facing.
      I am obviously still depressed about it but the stress and anxiety has gone down over time and I am able to function much better. I am still thinking about it 99% of my day which obvious distracts my thoughts from other things and thus results in poorer planning and organising etc due to the stress that this brings even if I can't hear the ringing I am always thinking about it, my ears don't feel the same, the left can feel blocked like it's full of fluid. Music still sounds crap, it's really is a shit situation.

Jessica Jane Clement lost hearing in her right ear due to Labyrinthitis. She dosent mention tinnitus but it is hearing loss and she is doing amazingly well.

Jessica-Jane Clement talks hearing loss

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    26. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      I don't want to believe of any link between cognitive decline and hearing loss. Getting older is having its own issues.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    27. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I have noticed some occasions when my memory for immediate and familiar tasks seems to seize up completely in a way I never experienced prior to all this.

28. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but suspect noise-induced
      Hi there,

I am exactly the same as you...20 year old girl from Scotland. I initially developed tinnitus around five years ago probably through headphones and at the time stupidly ignored it as a warning sign. Now I have begun to notice the same symptons as ypu...difficulty hearing in background noise, certain pitches hurt my ears, distortion, having to strain to hear. My cognitive abilities feel significantly impaired, my memory is shot even just reciting the alphabet in my head was not effortless. I was supposed to be spending a year abroad at a university in Berlin this year but had to go home and was recently discharged from a psychiatric ward. I have been deeply depressed because of this as in I was considered a danger to myself. In the past few years I have struggled with mental health issues and I honestly think it wouldn't be a stretch to consider that perhaps this has stemmed partly from hearing loss and the changes in my brain that that has brought about. I have been feeling pretty hopeless to be honest...your twenties are supposed to be the best years of you life and here I am with the hearing of an 80 years old. I am filled with self loathing and wish I could go back in time and reverse things. How do you deal with all this?
      Most of all, I feel I am hearing in black and white - I can hear but it's just hearing not emotionally processing it

29. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hey Jason, Thanks for the reply.

It would seem like the obvious answer to my memory issues is acctually just due to stress, the thing is though Im not really stressed at all right now. Not about university or my tinnitus, Ive reached habituation and i meditate regularly. You mentioned that it is Age related hearing loss that has the closer link to cognitive decline. But the thing is that the the type of hearing loss I have Is precisely the type of hearing loss you see in older people. HIDDEN HEARING LOSS, with symptoms of difficulty understanding speech in noise.

My memory has degraded in direct proportion with the decline of my speech comprehension. So i am quite sure for me there is a direct link. I also got My T through a drug called modafinil and thats what damaged my ears.

Thanks for the video from Jessica was a good watch Im not sure if Ive just stated alot of the obvious here as well, what is your proffesion?

Hey Serendipity,

I have experinced all of the symptoms you have described. Doctor Charles Liberman (check his articles out on TT) has produced some recent evidence that suggests the nuerons that are attached to our haricells, once broken (through loud music) are the cause of tinnitus and these Nuerons over the course of years retract back into the brain. I think that our cognitive issues could be a result of these neurons retracting and dying. The less active nuerons that you have the less information is reaching the auditory cortex which makes it really difficult to process and remember information. I have exeprienced momemts where speech is void of emotion.

I was severly depressed / suicidal for about 6 months this year because of my T, I recived councilling and am feeling genrally very happy, i'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. If you have been taking SSRI's then that may also be a factor. It's really difficult at our age I know but I have faith in medical science and stem cell therapy eventually...

The key thing now is to feed your brain NGF and incrase the BDFN in your brain and this can keep these detached nuerons alive. As soon as I can afford a supplement regime (starving student lol) Ill be starting one.

Have you had any vision Issues; where in Scotland are you from and what are you studying?

30. serendipity1996

serendipity1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but suspect noise-induced
      I have just started taking SSRIS to help combat thedepression. I feel like my brain is no longer able to process multiple inputs at once hence why a lot of background music for example soundsdistorted. I don't know if this is more related to the depression but I feel slightly depersonalised all the time like i am here but not fully which drives me mad. I wouldn't say I am having ant vision "problems" as such but I do feel rather off balance a lot again like i am tipsy 24/7. it's hard becahse I feel nobody else I know can relate. I feel my hearing is okay for noe as in I am not actually impaired but I do worry about the future. do you? I go to Edinburgh university and study history.