Tinnitus Implant

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Beehre, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014

Is this for real?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wish

3. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      I hope so...I would like any type of progress tbh. Anything!

4. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Doesn't look real. But to help Tinnitus, they do need to look more at the brain like this idea does. In many cases such as acoustic neuromas correcting the underlying cause does not stop the tinnitus because the Neuroplasticity change has already occurred in the brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Any reason the brain plasticity can't reverse its maladaptive changes once the underlying cause has been corrected?

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I don't know enough about brain chemistry to say yes or no, but Neuroplasticity is often supported by the science community; Tinnitus is a tough beast to understand though.

It does seem like techniques such as RTMS have efficacy and I read an article here - https://consumer.healthday.com/hear...may-help-ease-ringing-in-the-ears-718866.html which focuses on brain training which may suggest the power the brain has in keeping the tinnitus alive.

And you have to ask yourself - why do many people who have hearing loss not have tinnitus?

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That article covers a different topic: it talks about mental exercises to keep our cognitive abilities sharp, because T has a way of impacting them.

Well that nobody knows, but I don't really understand why you bring it up in this context.

8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, thus causing Neuroplasticity in the brain.

We are talking about a focus on the brain as the tinnitus issue as opposed to the ear. What do you not understand? If so many people have hearing loss (ear issue) but no tinnitus then it must be closely correlated to the brain, not just the ear.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      But they're different areas of the brain: neuroplasticity happens all the time in our daily lives. The maladaptive neuroplasticity that is believed to be responsible for Tinnitus happens in the auditory cortex, not in the memory and cognitive areas. The reason we want to stimulate the latter 2 is because they get neglected when patients have hearing loss due to the isolation it creates. The memory and cognitive areas are not responsible for T (as far as the literature I've read).

Not necessarily. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. It could be that some type of hearing loss creates a condition in the ear that creates tinnitus, while others don't. Nobody knows today for sure. What we do know is that in some cases T is generated downstream from the hearing nerve, since cutting it does not resolve Tinnitus. But just because some cases are that way does not mean all cases are that way.

10. Musemist

Musemist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      what frequency is this? (the sample sounds in the video) My T is excactly like the sounds you hear in the video.