Tinnitus Increased Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by mrdude1234, May 9, 2016.

1. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Hi all,

My tinnitus seems to have increased today. Doesn't feel temporary either.

I just had the flu for about 6 days so an wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Just looking for some help or advice as now it's much louder and it's kind of new to me. I didn't have T really in my right ear before and now I do.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I'm not sure where my T stems from or what caused it. I have a few other odd symptoms such as clicking around the cheek/ear area when I talk, and my eyes always feel kind of fuzzy. The eye thing is hard to explain, but it's like if I stare at something, it feels like my eyes are trying to look away.

I just thought I'd throw this in in case somebody had some info.

3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi there,

being sick or having a flu can affect the ears, it is possible that your ears getting affected might have lead to increase in T. Give it a few days and see how you feel. I had the flu for almost 2 weeks as well, but didn't notice my T getting louder. My ears did feel heavier, but since my T is so super loud as it is, i didn't notice an increase in the volume.

Be well.....

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Call several pharmacists in your area and get multiple opinions on this. Also, hopefully someone here can help you more. I have no experience with flu increasing T or I might have a suggestion.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I'm not sure if the flu affected it. Maybe it did. Maybe it was the meds I took as I was in lots of pain.

I wish I could figure out why my eyes feel like they can't focus fully even though my vision isn't actually affected. This happened about the time my tinnitus did. It's kind of like my brain is buzzing and causing my ears to ring and my eyes to whatever they are doing.

Not sure if I should see an ENT again or something. Maybe my sinuses have problems. Maybe this is all to do with my root canal I got in 2013. Very frustrating not knowing anything. I tested positive for EBV (acute) about a month after I got tinnitus for the first time.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The flu virus can increase your tinnitus as the extra mucous can clog up your tubes and even a far infection.
      Some medications can increase tinnitus also.
      Also read up on TMJ .
      I think it is down to a virus so give it time as the ears are the last to go better.
      You can try steam inhalation to clear and mucous hanging around in your tubes......lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Probably just a temporary spike - most people find their tinnitus gets a bit worse when they have cold or flu. It should subside when you start to feel better.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Thanks for your comments.

At the moment I currently do feel much better. The flu has passed for the most part. Now that I'm ok I've noticed my ears are screaming.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I haven't had that much mucous trouble but I will try the steam technique. Do I need to buy a device or is shower steam ok?

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Shower fine or steam with bowl of hot water and a towel over your head....lots of love glynis

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Thanks Glynis.

Does anybody know much about how the nose affects the ears/tinnitus? These are things I have noticed that might contribute to my tinnitus and i'm thinking about seeing an ENT to get something done in the hope that it helps tinnitus:

-One nostril is always blocked. The nostril changes from time to time but if I block the clear nostril, then the other is very stuffy and hard to breathe from.

-If I block one nostril and breathe in, my ear starts to "close up". There is a sensation of the tubes closing up or getting tighter.

-There is a clicking sensation near my ear/cheek area when I speak. Sometimes the clicking is louder than other times but its there to some degree.

-Sometimes I get a different kind of tinnitus (sometimes lower pitched, sometimes higher) that lasts for about 10 seconds. It seems to happen about once a month maybe. It's as if air is getting sucked out of my ear and there is a brief tinnitus that comes along with it. In fact, my tinnitus first started with that sensation.

-I always have some amount of mucous that I can hock up and spit out. It has never really bothered me but its there and the mucous is somewhat yellow.

Any advice on this kind of stuff would be really helpful or maybe even pointing me in the right area.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Just an update, the volume of the T has reduced. I would say even quieter than what it was prior to the spike which is strange.