Tinnitus Induced from THC?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MusicTeacher, Mar 30, 2020.

1. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rehearsals/Meds
      Hello forum,

This will probably be my last post for a while, as I'm starting to think that all of my time on here (as of late) isn't helping my mental state.

Here's my question - anyone here think they may have had their tinnitus induced by THC, and if so, did it resolve? My tinnitus snuck in while I was at work (teaching band on a Wednesday) and completely blew up after a concert the next evening. The last 2-3 weeks I've been taking CBD oil and noticed it just seemed to intensify what I already have. It occurred to me, that about 5 or 6 days before my tinnitus blew up, I had an edible (not something I normally do, but figured what the hell) and I basically had a panic attack. It did not go well, and I won't be doing that again. But I'm wondering if there's a chance that was the catalyst. If so, I may just hate myself even more. But, it might change how I proceed in terms of ear protection and - looking for a drug to settle the neurons back down (I know, someone would have done it already if possible). I guess there's no way to really know how I did this to myself.

I was also on antidepressants for a long time before this happened, and I'm feeling the weight of not being on them. Against the advice of many on here, I'm thinking about starting my meds again (with a doctor of course). My OCD, anxiety and depression ...aren't at bay anymore. In fact, they are flourishing while I'm stuck home in quarantine. I may try to wait a full 4 months without the antidepressants, before starting again.

Love the people on this forum - you've all been so helpful.

Tom

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Take it from a former 24/7 pothead, it was probably the noise exposure. I always had tinnitus (extremely mild, could only hear it in a silent room) and pot never effected it. If it did, it was so subtle I didn't notice. And I smoked an ounce every week and a half for 3 years. I went to an absurdly loud indoor death metal concert without earplugs damaging my hearing, and now that my tinnitus is considerably worse, pot exaggerates my perception of it. Not saying the pot couldn't have contributed to yours, I just think it's unlikely to be the cause. I'd be quicker to blame the antidepressents, but it was probably mostly accumulated noise exposure. I'd avoid cannabis products until your anxiety is under control. Both THC and CBD can exaggerate tinnitus perception in damaged ears.

Good luck man. I'm in the same position, anxiety and depression consuming me over my hearing damage and I feel screwed because freaking everything is ototoxic.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      If it's helpful, I was able to buy some "pharmacy grade CBD oil" that's literally produced in a pharmacy by pharmacists who have never been to a Grateful Dead concert in their life. Perhaps something like that, without even a whisper of THC, might be helpful.

Also, from reading your post, it sounds like restarting antidepressants, especially under the guidance of a doctor experienced in treating tinnitus, make sense. F the haters!

Finally, I agree with Tweedleman. Something like THC can temporarily alter your perception, but it just doesn't sound like the cause, particularly in light of your noise exposure in band practice and the subsequent concert.

Between the trumpet section and the THC, I blame the trumpets! You should ask your brass players to use mutes (straight mutes if they have them). Tell them you want to explore a more "nuanced musical sonority!" :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    4. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wouldn't blame the THC at all. Sounds like it was the concert. Whether or not the ADs had an effect I can't speculate about, but there are many pharmaceuticals that cause tinnitus.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

6. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What was the band?

7. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      High on Fire

8. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Huh that's interesting, I'm a fan of his other band Sleep. I don't think he uses earplugs when playing live D:

Sorry that this happened to you