Tinnitus Is Destroying My Life

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa Rae, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Lisa Rae

Lisa Rae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hello,
      I'm new and looking for support. I've had tinnitus for several months now. I feel so alone in this. I just want my peace back. I'm 52 and petty healthy l would say. No medications and avid hiker. I hope folks here can be of some help to me and l to them. Just saying Hi.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Lisa Rae ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      We are all here to support you around the clock so your never alone now .
      Ask away anything you need to know and someone will be along to help.
      If you have an idea what caused your tinnitus it can help us but for some people tinnitus just happens.
      Stress,noise trauma ,virus,ear infections are just a few reasons people get tinnitus.
      Love glynis

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Lisa Rae

Welcome to the forum.

Many things can cause tinnitus although exposure to loud noise is the most common. Typically, it is headphone use and going to places where loud music is played that causes it. Stress can bring it on too. In the early stages of tinnitus which you are in, the best treatment for it is to do nothing. If you just have straight forward tinnitus without additional problems: ear pain, dizziness, balance problems or deafness then to do nothing is the way to go. Under these circumstances, one shouldn't really see an ENT doctor too early, preferably 4 to 6 months is ideal. If you are feeling stressed which isn't unusual then have a word with your GP as something can be prescribed to help you. Medication can help a person a lot to cope with tinnitus especially in the early stages. Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-antidepressants-and-other-medications-help-tinnitus.18466/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi Lisa,
      It seems to me the first step(s) would be to try to find a root cause for your T. What have you done in that regard?

5. Plen4

Plen4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic ear infections / other
      Hi Lisa... I’m new here as well, long time with the music in my ears. The big one is Don’t let it consume you. It might sound impossible right now but if you can refocus when you feel overwhelmed your on your way. Remember there is support, there are treatments that work well for some and your never alone.

6. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I'm an avid hiker, too, so I totally understand wanting the tranquility of peaceful silence while out in the woods or wherever it is you hike.

You don't mention how severe you perceive your tinnitus to be, but since your tinnitus is relatively new, it hasn't really had time to get a hard grip on your limbic system. I recommend you try the Back to Silence method developed by Terry, a/k/a @I who love music on this forum. It can be really hard not to describe your tinnitus to yourself, which is one of the guidelines, but if you can manage to do that, you're halfway there.

You can watch his video and read the thread about it. Here's the summary of the method:

What to do when you hear your tinnitus:
      1. Tell yourself, “I hear it and I feel _____,” (whatever emotion you’re feeling);
      2. Make a mark on a piece of paper to indicate you’ve had a response;
      3. Look at the marks you’ve made at the end of each day, and see if they’re becoming less as time goes on.

What NOT to do:
      1. Monitoring your tinnitus to check its volume, even if you’re only looking for improvement;
      2. Describing your tinnitus;
      3. Telling yourself you’re going to beat your tinnitus.

By the way, I personally skip the part about making a mark. Sooner or later you'll know whether it's helping, but give it time.

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk :huganimation: