Tinnitus Is No Longer an Issue for Me

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by KingRoanoke, Jun 14, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      I've had T since 2008. It has absolutely crippled me in the past - the noise actually "felt" like pain. I have complained about this pain on this forum in the past several times. I now realize this was an extreme reaction to the T that is most likely explained by the Jastreboff feedback model. I can't stress how bad it was for me - I could not do anything and the noise pierced through every single thing - it was and still is unmaskable.

Yet, since April I have lived life as if I don't have T at all. The noise is no longer an issue and I don't "feel" the pain anymore. It has been almost 3 months of living without the despair of tinnitus. I finally understand - I can hear my T now but because I know that most of my time is spent being unaware and unaffected by T, I don't monitor or fear it. It has lost it's power now that I'm aware of how benign it is. The noise is still there, but I just don't care about it.

This is a place that I thought I would never get to. It is still early, though - 3 months of relief is only a fraction of time that I've spent with 7 year old T - but it is a milestone for me. All I can say is, believe that you will get to this place of relief, too. It takes a leap of faith to believe that you'll get relief even though you still have T. Especially if it "feels" like pain. But as my T blares right now (I'm wearing headphones so it's extra loud) - it is benign and no longer an issue. What used to sound and FEEL like an electric saw in my ears is now just a noise that I don't care about and eventually fades into the background.

This forum has helped me so much, but when because I've been doing so well, I have not felt the need to re-engage with my T by reading about it on forums. However, it can be extremely beneficial for support/ Just reading the success stories lifted my spirits and got me to this place. Dr Nagler's wisdom and guidance has been a godsend for me - His posts have literally saved my life. I don't really go on forums anymore for T, but I wanted to post something positive for you all. For anyone struggling: You will get relief in time! Listen to Dr Nagler and the success stories to get to that place of relief - don't spend 7 years in agony like me!

Bye!!

• Like Like x 10
      • Winner Winner x 6
    2. Wow a past T sufferer who had ear pain and no longer does! Amazing. Good for you!

3. TMLB

TMLB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Thank you so much for the positive post. It is truly helpful to know that I can get to a place where the T is only an annoyance and not upsetting or intrusive. Your story has helped me to keep positive; to know that it is possible.

• Like Like x 2
    4. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @KingRoanoke Excellent!...I'm really glad for you! Your story will give some hope to those that have not yet habituated and are really struggling to cope. Encouragement to counter their discouragement. I think this thread should be moved to the "Success Stories" section.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Was your pain associated with Hyper acusis? I dont know how you do it. Mine gets bad to the point all my hair stands up all over my body. I can take a a shower Im cold on the body parts that are away from the water. I pray for relief more sooner than later. Benzos knock you out. Its like knocking out the body just to calm the T.

6. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thank you for this. If only there was a way for us to get there faster.

7. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      No, it wasn't hyperacusis. It was a bad reaction to my T. The sound of my T is loud and full of many different sounds, but it has a certain fullness to it. If I listen to it, it can feel painful. I really don't have a good way to describe it - but it feels like genuine pain. Of course this pain does not exist if I can't hear my T or if I don't hear it because it has gone below my awareness - which is most of the time for me at this point.

I understand your discomfort. I have been on benzos, like you - in fact, 3 different ones over the years to deal with T. I haven't been on a benzo in about a year. It will get better. I didn't believe it, but it will.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      "It takes a leap of faith to believe that you'll get relief"

This is the thing as you said.