Tinnitus Just Started 2 Weeks Ago and Is Constant

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Clarknbruce, May 29, 2019.

1. Clarknbruce

Clarknbruce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. My name is Stephen, I'm 27. My tinnitus just started about two weeks ago. Since these last two weeks it has been constant and only gets better when I'm around other noises throughout the day. Its a high pitch sound but the volume (if you will) is about a 4-5/10. I feel I forget about the noise and it only gets better when I'm around other noises. As a matter of fact I was in the shower and I couldn't hear the tinnitus at all and was extremely happy and as soon as i turned the water off sure enough it was there and the water was just drowning out the ringing.

I'm not entirely sure what caused this but i have three ideas.

1. About a 1 months ago I saw my PCP and i told him 1 week before the appointment I noticed when I woke up I would have a weird crunch/crackling sensation only in my right ear when I would put pressure on my ears. For example blowing your nose. It doesn't last all day but I notice its worse when I wake up. Well two weeks later I'm having bilateral tinnitus.
      2. About 1.5 months ago I went to the gun range and my ear muff seal wasn't properly closed to the right side of my head and someone close by fired off a couple rounds. I instantly was like wow that's loud so immediately left the range and adjusted my ear muffs and everything was fine. The crackling started 2 weeks after that give or take.
      3. I've always used headphones at this gym. Not crazy loud but not soft either. This damage I've been causing overtime maybe now is just too much. (I've tossed the headphones).

My PCP when he assessed my ears said he noticed I had hair in my ear (however no hair in my left ear) that could be pressing against my eardrum and when pressure it put on the eardrum it could be pressing against the hair causing that crackling/crunch sensation. He thought it could of been hair from a previous haircut and told me to rinse out my ears. I have since and my ears have been assess by another physician and he said the hair remains? and that its hard to tell if its hair thats growing in my ears vs hair that is from a hair cut. I'm not sure if the crunch/crackling sensation is a coincidence to the tinnitus. (even the the cracking is only in my right, but the tinnitus is in both ears). The tinnitus wasn't there when I saw the first physician. The second physician is a friend of mine and he told me it's best to be seen by an ENT.

Anyway, shortly after my tinnitus has started, I noticed when I thrust my jaw forward (bottom teeth in front of top teeth) the sound lessens and heightens when I retract my jaw in a normal position and overall movement of my jaw kind of changes the pitch of the ringing.

I have an appointment/hearing test with an otolaryngologist today in about 5 hours. I'm hoping it gives me good news and that this tinnitus goes away on its own. I've seen an ARNP to get this referral to the ENT and she prescribed me a combination ear drop that contains prednisone and another medication in it that I will be starting after the hearing test.

I'm starting to lose faith and this is really depressing to be honest. Unfortunately the last year I've been having way to many health issues and this is just the icing on the cake. Palpitations requiring a complete cardio work up (echocardiogram, holter monitor, EKGs, stress test, xrays etc.) then found out my bilirubin is around 2.4 and I have Gilberts syndrome (thankfully its nothing else) and seeing a GI doctor. I even had intermittent chest pain that occured requiring a ED visit (all tests negative). I've since recovered from all that but man, health wise I've been way too busy.

Anyway, thanks for your time to whoever reads this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your T is most likely due to the combination of causes 2 and 3. There is a good chance that by the time you are 6-8 weeks in, your T will begin to fade. It might take 3-24 months to hear silence again, or for it to get to the "can faintly hear it only in quiet rooms" stage. So unless you experience no improvement/fading during your first 3-6 months, you shouldn't worry about it being permanent.

Your doctor will most likely not be helpful.

Make sure those ear drops (and any other medication you get prescribed from now on) is not on the list below
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

Right now your goal should be to avoid hurting your ears again.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarknbruce

Clarknbruce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bill thanks a lot for your reply. I will absolutely check out those links. I'm trying to ignore the ringing but its hard not to in the early stages. It's so nerve wracking. I would like to add, growing up I've had moments of ringing in my ears but from what I could remember it was only temporary and would last up to say 15 seconds and it would be gone. It wouldn't happen often it would happen randomly. I don't think sound exacerbated it. Not sure if that's important for what going on now.

Anyway, thanks again Bill.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarknbruce

Clarknbruce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bill, I just checked the list. I was prescribed metoprolol XL 25mg daily for the palpitations i wrote about earlier. That medication is on that list...

I started that medication about a year ago. Not sure if the tinnitus would take that long to develop.

Hmm... makes me wonder.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is what the people on this forum refer to as "fleeting tinnitus." You will most likely notice episodes of your T getting louder for 10-45 seconds. It is a scary experience that most of the people with T get if not multiple times a day, then multiple times each week. Some people like to think that this is our body's attempt to recalibrate and to heal.
      Tell yourself that even if your T is going to be permanent (and there is still a good chance that this won't happen), chances are that what you are hearing now is not what you will get stuck with. Also, unless one's T is very loud, many people stop having as much of an emotional reaction to it beginning at around 18-24 months after the onset. Focus on riding it out, and try to not think about the future (because if you do, you will most likely be worried about something that will never happen).
      Ask your doctor to prescribe an alternative drug. Hopefully (as is sometimes/often? the case) one is available that is not on that list.

Note that if one in one thousand patients were to report developing T as a result of taking a drug, the drug would end up on that list. So just because a drug is on that list, doesn't mean you will get T if you take the drug. But it is possible that now that you have T, you are more vulnerable, so you might want to not take the drugs on that list, if that is at all possible.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Clarknbruce -- My take is that tinnitus can develop over just about any given period of time, from immediately, to months or even years. The reason I think that is because it appears "assaults" to our auditory system(s) appear to be cumulative, so even the results of seemingly minor assaults can accumulate over time. -- So I think your medication could very well have been a factor in your developing tinnitus.

Shortly after my own onset of tinnitus, my acupuncturist told me he had the most success treating tinnitus if it was caused by an ototoxic medication. He said once it begins to build up in the body--especially the liver as I recall--those parts of the body send out discordant signals that make its way to the ears, signalling there's something very wrong going on.

By working on the liver and kidney meridians, it gives these organs the opportunity to expel those accumulating toxins, and the discordant signals sometimes end. -- I assume various kinds of foods/herbs that assist with liver detoxification would be helpful as well. Many who've done this have gotten varying relief from tinnitus.

BTW, acupuncture treatments can become expensive, so an option to counter that is to learn self-acupuncture, making it a remarkably inexpensive option to pursue.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarknbruce

Clarknbruce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I saw my ENT and audiologist. My hearing test was normal. My ENT was very empathetic to my situation but unfortunately there isn’t a “treatment” that can fix it. She offered cognitive behavioral therapy as an option and counseling. She did offer me an antidepressant knowing I have a history of anxiety. I’m extremely skeptical on taking it.

As an update to my tinnitus. My T has really shifted to my left ear. I would say it started 50:50 but now it’s like 75 % left and 25% right. Maybe my right ear is healing while my left one is taking its time.

I have the prednisone drops which I’m starting tomorrow. Luckily as I once said during the day out and about I forget about it and it’s almost not noticeable. As of now, being in a quiet room is extremely loud and again high pitched. I’m feeling a little more at ease with it right this moment.

Anyone else take an antidepressant? How did you feel. Let me know please.

8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Clarknbruce -- I would encourage you to remain extremely skeptical. Many on this forum have tinnitus that was either caused by or worsened by ADs. I believe there are a number of much better alternatives to going the AD route. -- Best...

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Clarknbruce

Clarknbruce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply. What would you recommend?

Thanks again