Tinnitus Keeps Waking Me Up

Discussion in 'Support' started by baz 22, Jan 31, 2016.

1. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi, hope everyone is doing ok. So I am coping with tinnitus, only had 1 month. I was just looking some advice.
      I can get sleep fine even with my T. I just play some nature sounds through a pillow speaker on a 30 minute timer and fall asleep before it finishes. I have tinnitus in only 1 ear.

My only problem is my tinnitus wakes me up about 3 times every night, usually takes another 15 minutes to get back to sleep. I don't take any medication or pills.

Is there anything I could be doing to stop T from waking me up?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you play your sound throughout the night set below your tinnitus,your brain works hard through the night to pick up the lower sound you have chosen and pushes the tinnitus to the background.( It's through the night sound therapy works its magic and not just get you asleep ).....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      thankyou glynis, I was having a bad T day today and it's nice to know there is always someone there to help.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does this work for all frequencies? I have the same problem as baz 22. My tinnitus is very high pitched and so matching it with a certain volume doesn't work. Very few white noises seem to help either.

I woke up 3 times last night with my T screaming at me. Played white noise (crickets) today it's as loud as ever and even more intrusive.

5. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Alue,
      Finding a sound that suits your tinnitus is the best way and make sure it's set below your tinnitus or mixing point (equal ).
      Their are lots of free sound apps and some free on this forum.
      Mp3 or iPods etc work fine but best with pillow speakers or free standing units and not plugs through the night as its a long time have them inserted in your ears ......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      If anyone is looking an app to help sleep I use: "Relax melodies: Sleep & Yoga" , you can get it free on android store, not sure about ios. There is also a paid version but the free version has lots of nature sounds to choose from. I like to test different ones to see what works best for me.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      About two months in, i got these insane spikes at night. It sounded like a bloody helicopter in my head! They were waking me up every hour or so for about three to four weeks. I was a wreck and needed to resort to sleep medicine for the first time in my life for a night or two. Before that, during the first weeks after T, I was sleeping just fine, sometimes waking up at night almost not hearing my T.
      The spikes were caused by stress and.. the white noise i was playing at night (didn't do that in the beginning). For some reason all these crickets, wind and rain sounds were just spiking my T . I figured my ears needed mainly rest at night. So i started again to sleep in total silence and my auditory system responded positively. I still wake up now and then, but the nightly spikes have subsided. For almost two weeks now, i'm fine sleeping in a silent room.
      This is just my experience, but give it a shot! My 'broscience' theory is that, since i fell victim to acoustic trauma, my ears need to recover at night from all the ambient noise i hear during the day. Overloading them with sounds at night just wears them out.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Sebastian,
      We are all so different and for some silence might be the key.
      If you play sound therapy to get to sleep its best then to keep it going as helps your brain adjust to your tinnitus......lots of love glynis

( I have had tinnitus many years and I don't need sound at night no more.
      I know when I'm safe in bed and can only hear my tinnitus I know that it's my own quiet sound even though my ears are really loud I sleep ok and kind of tune into it to sleep )

• Like Like x 1
    9. 1Regcabguy$$

1Regcabguy$$ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearms exposure.

10. 1Regcabguy$$

1Regcabguy$$ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearms exposure.
      Newbie here. I purchased the ASTI Ecotones from Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Ecotones-Sound-Machine-Natural-Sounds/dp/B002SMJQT4/ My brain has not accommodated the high pitched and mid range yet so I'm playing with earplugs or just the speaker. Falling rain seems to help the best. Thinking of purchasing an higher quality speaker for it though. Really good recordings. Come on brain,cut in there.
      Luckily there's a support group in San Diego that meets first Tuesday of every month. Looking forward to some chat and suggestions. Thanks everybody.

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks, but when it's above say 13kHz, it's very hard to find things to mask it. I can hear my speakers' high pitch hum which seems to set me off and make things even worse.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      I woke up every 2 hrs last night, i am a real light sleeper. I don't think i would mind my T as much if I could sleep for 8 hrs straight.

13. 1Regcabguy$$

1Regcabguy$$ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearms exposure.
      The pitch of my T is so high it's tough to mask.
      I need to source out a better speaker or get some earbuds that fit without killing my ear.
      Long walks at the ocean help here with the waves and all.
      I may be getting a smartphone to enable an app to help drown it out.
      I fell asleep with some help from the pharmacy and Herb Pharm's botanicals.
      http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Pharm-Re...TF8&qid=1454342473&sr=1-3&keywords=herb+pharm