Tinnitus Novice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Heidie, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Heidie

Heidie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. This is Heidi and I have recently and abruptly joined your world. A couple of months ago my ETN prescribed sinus medications, which apparently induced a very severe onset of tinnitus in my left ear. At first I didn't make the connection because for a while I had been noticing a faint humming in my ears before falling sleep, but thankfully nasal bleeding caused me to stop the medications. The tinnitus has gradually subsided to the point that I do enjoy some mild days by now.

The sound I hear in my left ear and/or in my head is not a steady flow, rather it's a rhythmic eeeee, eeeee, eeeee... but I don't think it's pulsatile since it doesn't seem to be synchronized with my heartbeat. Now there's also tinkling, tickling, and fullness in my right ear at times -- actually both ears feel sore frequently. Based on normal hearing test and MRI results, my ETN has concluded that my tinnitus is here to stay and I just have to put up with it. No clue as to how.

Like so many of you, I've learned as much as possible about this condition in the last 2 months. Fortunately I found Laura Cole's Tinnitus book in Amazon, which has been a life saver and which directed me to this support group. And I've found an audiologist who specializes in tinnitus through the ATA's professional directory. I have an appointment next week, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to best deal with this.

I have too many questions to ask so won't overwhelm you for now, but will happily consider any suggestions you may be able to offer. Thanks for your support.

Heidi

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of loud music, loud noise, loud concerts that is the most common cause of tinnitus?

Hearing tests do not go beyond the bare vitals of human hearing, hearing outside of vital ranges that can be lost is called "hidden hearing loss" and that is believed to be the most common way one gets tinnitus.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It should continue to fade!
      I believe you will find some of the tips at the post below to be useful to you
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

There is some hope that a cure will be available soon

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Heidie

Heidie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No acoustic trauma, just ototoxicity. Nevertheless, I'm having in-depth auditory testing done next week. Thanks!

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      and sometimes those test find nothing, even when one does have hearing loss.
      I can't stress that enough, tinnitus novices overlook that important detail, audiologist are giving mal-information