Tinnitus Only Bad When I Lie Down?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Polaris, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Polaris

Polaris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Two weeks ago, I just randomly woke up with tinnitus for no reason at all. No loud noises, no changes were made. If anything I have been less stressed and am recovering from years of illness.

I have noticed that it is barely audible when I'm standing or doing things, even in quiet rooms, but as soon as I go to lie down or when I wake up in the morning it is 10x louder. Half way through the day it is genuinely gone, in the quietest room.

Is this indicative that it will go away or some other problem?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It sounds like a possible back/neck/spine issue. That's the only guess I have for this one.....Tinnitus is an odd thing and no one really knows what causes it...

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      My T comes the same way. I don't hear it during the day most of the time. Once the back of my head hits the pillow (or back of my soft couch) I start the get static noise, and it can get pretty loud at night. As soon as I lift my head it's gone within a minute. Quiet rooms are the worst and my bedroom is very quiet, almost sound proof.

I had a loud sound exposure so at least I an trace it back. For you I would agree with previous poster - try to change how or where you sleep.

4. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      My Tinnitus is TMJ related and is worse when I'm laying down for leaning on a side. I've had a mouth splint for 8 days now and laying down is getting slowly better. I had a CT scan that shows my jaw misaligned to the point it's practically touching my ear