Tinnitus Permanently in One Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Georgia, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I was wondering if any of you ever felt like your tinnitus is only in one ear permanently then kind of fluctuates in the other, because lately I've really been giving my t the extra attention to listen in and see if it generally is in the left one constantly not in both, right now I really think that its just in the left (though still can't exactly tell) I do get it in the right but its more on and off I'm wondering if any of you guys know anything or have experienced this?
      Thank you in advance!!!

2. kirkyp

kirkyp Member

Worth getting that checked out Georgia - single sided tinnitus can be symptoms of an acoustic neuroma; pretty rare but needs to be diagnosed

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'll talk to my ENT when I go to see he/her in about a week, overall I'm just mostly confused about where my T is coming from I've had it for about 7 years and my left ear has always been a little worse I had an MRI about over a month ago so hopefully all this stuff will be covered then

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi,

I know where you're coming from. Mine started in my right ear and I always felt that the left ear is kind of different, like it's my brain making things balanced. My test that showed a slight hearing loss in the right ear and nothing in the left.

I often think of the right as the real tinnitus and the left as an imposter.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah like the left one is not quiet the same even though all my tests show that the levels of hearing are basically the same, maybe your brain is trying to even it out like you said, and its just substituting so everything feels more equal, have you ever felt it just change from one to both even though one is literally a different sound?

The good news is that my MRI came back and all my nerves everything are normal although that raises more questions, I'm getting a few more organ scans to look for links though.

6. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not quickly but I do notice that it is different from time to time. I don't keep a track on the tone or sound type but when I do notice I can often tell a change. I was playing with a synth a few days ago and realised that one of my tones was up at 8KHz, from 6KHz last time I noted the pitch. It does change for me, but I get a lot of fleeting tinnitus too.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

How do you measure your tinnitus? I've never done it before

8. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pitch matching it with a synthesiser, playing notes to match the pitch. Using pure tones (sine waves) and also looking at the readout on a spectrum analyser to check the frequency it's playing.

I would always advise against measuring it unless it's for a reason as it only focuses your attention on the T, which is generally negative and unhelpful.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh okay thanks for your advice and help! Do you know the cause of your T?

10. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm wondering if any of you guys know anything or have experienced this?
      Thank you.

My tinnitus is only in my left ear. Occasionally I think I can hear something in my right ear. But I'm never quite certain!!!!!

11. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I have loud tinnitus in my left ear--but I have a lot of fleeting tinnitus that affects both ears. Sometimes it can seem like it's coming from the middle of my head. I find it's better if I don't try to nail it down--jut get on with what I'm doing.

12. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My T has been in my left ear only and for seven years now.