Tinnitus Possibly Caused by First Shot of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stralsin, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Stralsin

Stralsin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      +- 02/21 right after first Moderna shot
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - ?Moderna Covid first shot
      Like some others on Tinnitus Talk, I had tinnitus come on from nowhere. Its timing suggests it may be from my first shot of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

My ENT says that for sure the bad case of viral and bacteria infections I currently have in my mouth and on my tongue are side effects from the Moderna vaccine. His office has seen these side effects before.

No prognosis from my ENT on how long, other than for the rest of my life, I will suffer with the tinnitus. He said I will never hear silence again!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your posting. Hopefully your T willl resolve... I know this sounds tough, but don't try and dwell on it too much.... also make sure you have a sound rich environment... not loud, but not quiet either. If you never had it before, there is a good chance you will recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Hidde

Hidde Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try to give your ears rest, don't wear headphones/earbuds and avoid loud sounds for a while. Could help, I hope it does

4. DrewSRQ

DrewSRQ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably due to circular saw and/or LOUD headphones
      I've had tinnitus for years and I definitely noticed that it definitely got louder after my first shot of the Moderna vaccine!

Now I'm debating whether to get the second shot, and I'm reading a lot of articles online that say that although two shots is best, a Canadian study shows that you're actually around 92% protected two weeks after your first shot!

5. Bradleytech386

Bradleytech386 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concrete saw
      Good thing I didn't get the shot. Do you hear your tinnitus over everything or can it be easily masked?

6. Jane42
      Thinking

Jane42 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus started 4 hours after 1st Moderna vaccine.
      I don't notice it as much if I am busy and noisy things are happening around me. I notice it most when it is quiet, like right now sitting at my desk. The ringing level has been up and down but it seems to have settled at around 6 most of the time. It's been going on for 10 days.

7. Mamabear

Mamabear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine
      I’m so sorry. Same here, but mine was the Pfizer vaccine. I’ve had ringing in my ears for 8 weeks after my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. If I had known this would happen, I would have never taken the vaccine. I just posted my story in my introductory post. :/ Prayers that this resolves.

8. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      I am really sorry this happened to you. Are you reporting this on VAERS? Please do -- people should know the risk involved. So far no one I know has gotten tinnitus from Pfizer, and it had no effect on my tinnitus, but it did make my allergies flare up for a day (on top of the aches, fatigue, headache).

Hopefully this is just a temporary response to the vaccine and your tinnitus goes away. It's still early yet and it may resolve.

9. Jay G

Jay G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury from flying, made worse since Covid vaccine
      Sorry to hear that. There is hope — I have read that some people's vaccine related tinnitus has gone away.

I am in the same boat. I had minor tinnitus prior to my first shot last week. One hour after the shot I could hear my tinnitus get louder and it has persisted since. I have reported it to Vaers, Moderna, and V-Safe and just set up an appointment with my PCP.

I also found this today: Google Trends — Tinnitus
      It's trending up significantly on Google searches.

If there is any silver lining, hopefully this raises awareness and chances for treatments/cures.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Do you still have infections in your mouth?

Did you notice if the vaccine you got was injected using the proper method (intramuscular injection, not hitting any blood vessels)?

11. JackyS

JackyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 22, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      moderna 1st vaccine
      I am in the same boat... I never had tinnitus before. Until my 1st Moderna vaccine shot... 3 days later I woke up to tinnitus... It settled down (but did not go away) two days later... Then it was back the next day worse than before. Yesterday (Tuesday) it actually was really low... Today it's back louder than ever. This is not how I want to live my life. I have reported this on the CDC system.

12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Welcome to our world.