Tinnitus Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ckav11, May 9, 2018.

1. ckav11

ckav11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      colesteatoma
      Hey all,

So I've had tinnitus in my right ear for about a year and a half now, I'm 16 years old. We believe it was caused by an infection of cholesteatoma. I've had 3 tympanoplasties on my right ear. The first one was not a success. The second one was a success, but I got tinnitus a couple years after so we went back to my ENT whom said I had an infection of cholesteatoma. The cholesteatoma began to erode my ear drum and it became very flimsy, in the midst of this one of the 3 middle ear bones started to erode (we found this out during surgery). Anyways they had to reconstruct my ear drum and replace one of the bones. The ENT said it should go away, but could take a few months. I'm not starting to notice it as much, so should I take it as a sign of progress. Long story short, just a few questions. They probably vary on a case by case basis, but I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.

• Since I don't notice my tinnitus as often does that mean its getting better?
      • Will it get quieter as its getting better or will I just not notice it as much?
      • Could it suddenly just go away here in a few weeks or months? My ENT said a lot of times it just goes away and his patients are like "Oh I haven't heard it in weeks" not even noticing it went away

Thanks for reading and if you reply!

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If you don't notice your tinnitus often, then it is definitely a positive thing as many members here can't shake their and notice it 7/24. It is hard to say for certainty what T will do next but if we do the right things, such as remaining positive and calm to keep stress and anxiety low and therefore the limbic system away, then things should get easier and better over time as the body heals with time. Good luck. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      Sorry to hear about your defective ear.
      At least you don't have to deal with the regret of a mistake like me.
      Ear surgery sounds terrifying to me.
      Sounds like you're on track for a good recovery. How long did it take before you started noticing it less?