Tinnitus Research Initiative Newsletter

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Dr. Nagler, Mar 6, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, I have been reading this this morning. It's always an informative newsletter. I have great hopes for their TINNET initiative, hopefully it can pave the way for establishing some of the various etiologies of tinnitus.

3. mmacabre
      Ape-like

mmacabre Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks sp!

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      You are welcome.

sp

5. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      And next monday it is their 8th conference. Curious about what research will be exposed in their next abstractbook.

6. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      “You can recognize a really good idea by the fact that it seems impossible to realize from the outset”
      (A. Einstein)

The end of a year is always a good opportunity to reflect about the past years and make plans about the future.

Where are we now with TRI and what have we accomplished in the last years? The aim of TRI was to bring researchers and clinicians from many different disciplines together in order to find a cure for tinnitus.

The first part of this idea has been accomplished pretty well. With the yearly TRI meeting we frequently bring hundreds of researchers together for a tinnitus conference. The TRI newsletter reaches over 4'500 scientists and the TRI webpage provides at www.tinnitusresearch.org a lot of valuable up to date content for experts in the field. The public awareness for tinnitus has increased and there are more and more articles in the public media covering tinnitus. As a consequence, also the funding for tinnitus research has increased and this year we started the first large-scale project funded by the European Union(www.tinnet.tinnitusresearch.net).

The second part of the aim is still pending. Many different approaches for tinnitus treatment have been tried in the last years, but there is still no general cure for tinnitus available. The right idea has just not been thought, but the seeds have been planted. The sudden insight, or the stroke of genius that solves a problem never comes falling out of nowhere. It is usually the result of a sequence of many smaller right ideas culminating in a eureka moment after a lot of intensive preliminary work. In another quote from one of the most prolific inventors ever, Thomas Alva Edison: “genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration”

With the above cited phrases, Einstein suggests that we should look for ideas that seem impossible to realize, and Edison adds that we should subsequently work hard at realizing them. Thus, even if you as a tinnitus researcher have an idea that seems impossible, embrace it, and discuss it with the TRI community. A united approach might make it work. It is only by sharing the specific expertise each of us has that the impossible becomes possible.

So, let us keep up the good networking and do not shy away of the seemingly impossible. We should not be worried to fail many times, the alternative, not to try, is definitively not the better option. Nature evolves by mistakes, tinnitus will ultimately be solved by the many mistakes, the many failed trials from which we learn. Let’s go for the impossible, but united, by trial and error, and we will emerge with a solution.

Ana Belén Elgoyhen, Dirk De Ridder, Berthold Langguth,
      Winfried Schlee, Sylvia Dorner-Mitschke

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    7. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      Dr. Nagler: I am new to this forum. Regarding the TRI's latest news letter....Whew that's quite a read. Although, this may not be prevalent to this thread, on page 36 of the newsletter a statement about jugular bulb middle ear surgery sounds promising for those with that problem. Also, I am pasting an insert from another forum regarding the same.

Abstract
      Tinnitus and hearing loss can occur in patients with a high-riding abnormal jugular bulb. Jugular vein ligation in selected patients can cure tinnitus and reverse hearing loss. A 39-year-old woman reported a 4-year history of right-sided tinnitus of increasing intensity associated with a mild hearing loss. Extensive evaluation revealed only an enlarged right jugular bulb with dehiscence of the normal petrous bony septum between the bulb and the middle ear. The patient underwent ligation of the right internal jugular vein and noted immediate cessation of tinnitus and the return of normal hearing. Review of the literature suggests that jugular vein ligation is appropriate in selected cases of venous tinnitus.

Bob Saint

8. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      You need to "tag" @Dr. Nagler in order for him to notice your message.

(Dr. Nagler, the post above (by thesaint) was made in relation to your comment in the thread on Trobalt - but the post was moved to here...)

9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Which will be dropped into the ocean of ideas and forgotten.

Why is surgery such a taboo topic with tinnitus and hyperacusis?

10. Lawrence Glickman
      Caffeine

Lawrence Glickman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      I am really tired of the so called "scientists" who misrepresent this condition. By stating "there is still no recognized cure for Tinnitus" there is the implication that Tinnitus is a disease. Clearly its merely a description of a multifaceted condition which requires the treatment of specific causative factors in a methodical way. These characterizations lead patients to look for and be the victim of the "silver bullet vendors" who are all frauds but because in some cases their "snake oil" may help a few people the rest of the Tinnitus patients waste their time and money buying the next "miracle cure". I have reduced my Tinnitus in three years from a level 10 to a level 2. This was accomplished by a methodical treatment plan with a conventional ENT correcting a deviated septum and insertion of ear tubes to compensate for non functional Eustachian tube drainage and 100's of hours of research on natural supplements, trial and error with anti virals and anti biotics and sound retraining which in my case was the least of it. My message is simple. If you want to get better stop looking for a "silver bullet" and begin a systematic trail and error search for your particular issues.

11. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      @Lawrence Glickman I wish it was as easy as you state. I have spent over 20 years trying different methods to solve my tinnitus, largely without success. You were one of the fortunate ones it seems.

12. loosse up

loosse up Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I agree withe Lawrence, I pursued everything for the past 10 years. Too many to list. I now have diagnosed with stage four throat cancer. The Chemo and the Radiation has taken my Tinnitus to a level that is beyond description. I am tired of these people who have short time T and dealt with it with all the methods I have tried. The end is near for I do not see any relief coming from any area of research.