Tinnitus Research Initiative / Annual TRI Conferences

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Out of curiosity, I've spent many hours reading TRI's PDFs, which are very informative.

A few links for those who are interested in tinnitus research and what kind of studies/results are being carried out:

http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/meetings/meeting2010_en.php
      (check: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/meetings/files2010/abstractbook_Dallas_2010.pdf - which includes the abstract book for their 2010 meeting in Dallas)

And the TRI's newsletters are worth a read too: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/news/news_en.php

They include all the latest recently published literature and case studies and such. Indeed worth a read.

2. Michelle78

Michelle78 Member

Having always been a science "freak" I will take a look. If anything I'm happy there are initiatives like TRI.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Hey this is good stuff... Thanks admin!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      2011 meeting was held in Buffalo, NY/US: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/meetings/meeting2011_en.php

Actually I haven't looked into this yet (I'm late I know), but it's going to be a good read, the abstract book I mean: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/meetings/files2011/5th TRI Conference ABSTRACTS.pdf

So basically these are just what it says on the tin: abstracts.

TRI has tons of good newsletters too, with more detailed conclusions of studies etc. If you are interested in such stuff, check these (especially the newsletters):
      Recent TRI related publications: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/TRI_related_publications.pdf
      TRI Newsletters: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/news/news_en.php

Next year their meeting will be in Belgium.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    6. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Who do you think is going to bring out the first proper treatment that's going to work for Tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'd rather not guess.

It depends on the definition of working treatment. I think it's a long shot we'll see a treatment that completely silences the majority of tinnitus in the near future. Near future meaning within the next 5 years.

It's far more likely that there will be some treatments that may reduce the intensity of tinnitus, for example. Many people would kill for a 50% reduction.

Who knows, the Vagus Nerve Stimulation looked somewhat promising when it made news the beginning of last year. Although it was based on tests with rats, so needs further studies. Vagus Nerve Stimulation Helps Resolve Tinnitus in Rats

There are some pharmaceuticals that might help some people. Neramexane is being researched and tested. Neramexane Clinical Study

Even though I would like to get rid of my tinnitus completely, I'm not really holding my breath for that. I'd be so, so happy for a treatment that made my ringing and clicking less intense. I guess many people would settle for the same at least until better and more effective treatments came along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes, I would agree, I got my money on Vagus Nerve Stimulation, I think Neramexane trial will be suspended soon:(.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Neramexane is in Phase III though. So it's not just starting the trials.

If Phase III results are positive and nothing surprising happens, it's possible Neramexane could come into market (indicated for tinnitus).

But I haven't found one single positive experience of Neramexane for tinnitus on the internet. Okay, I have only seen like 5 people mention that they are in the Neramexane trial, and of course they weren't sure whether they are getting the placebo or the real deal. But none of those that I remember did notice any effect on their tinnitus. :(

10. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      http://www.aerztezeitung.de/praxis_...-steckt-neramexane-schlappe-gelassen-weg.html
      Its failed, and its cost Merz Pharma Millions, the company has taken a huge financial blow, Its sad and disappointing for all us sufferers. This will now be talk in the Pharma Industry, and other Pharma's are going to think twice about investing into Tinnitus now:( But lets hope Quark, and Sound Pharma keep going as they are now the only hope !!! Auris's Medical AM 101 treatment is only effective if their drug is administered within a 3 month window of Tinnitus, " And thats not going to help us old timers :mad: Damm !!! Markku I am keeping my Money On Vagus Nerve for Now, unless you have any other news of any other Drug coming out Shortly? Over to you my Friend, I am going to go and put my head in the SAND:cry:

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Oh shoot...

First time I heard about this.

Google translated quote from that article:

Thanks for letting me know, now we can cross Neramexane off the list. :cry:

12. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Ok, So whats the next Drug in the pipeline????? ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      No idea... for the not-so-recent cases, I don't know if there's anything interesting in the pipeline.

Regarding AM-101 I last year wrote this;

14. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
    15. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Karl

a treasure trove of information

im just going thru it now and checking out what links i can find from the list of authors and research papers

great stuff
      i especially find this fascinating

"Pienkowski M, Eggermont JJ. Reversible long-term changes in auditory processing in mature auditory cortex in the absence of hearing loss induced by passive, moderate-level sound exposure. Ear Hear. 2012 May;33(3):305-14.
      By demonstrating that cortical reorganization can be caused by moderate band pass filtered noise without causing any peripheral damage, the authors provide an explanation for tinnitus and auditory processing disorders with intact peripheral auditory function."

thanks for the information!
      mt

16. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    17. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Erik - having real trouble with understanding the accent (Jastreboff video) - do you know if there is a transcript anywhere? Thanks. Click

18. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Sorry Click, I am not aware of a transcript

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
    20. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Forgot to post this here. The 7th TRI conference on tinnitus happens in may this year (2013). As always there will be top notch researchers. Familiar names and a few new ones. You can find the complete program here: http://www.tinnitusresearch.org/en/meetings/files2013/TRI2013_scientific_program.pdf

I found this particularly eye catching:

Towards an objectivation of tinnitus.
      Machine learning approach of resting state electrical
      brain activity can detect the presence of tinnitus
      by K Joos

• Like Like x 2
    21. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It would be nice to hear of some moving research at this years TRI conference happening this week. I know of a researcher (grad student) who will be in attendance at this years conference in Spain. He said that he would be posting some information about what research he finds particularly interesting and moving on the Tinnitus subreddit that he follows. Perhaps he'll be posting there in about a week, you guys can check it out.

www.reddit.com/r/tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    22. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I think the TRI conference is underway in Valencia, Spain ATM. It would be very interesting to hear some of the speakers. The opening speech "To Dream is to Cure Tinnitus" is being put on by Dr. Ridder. I wonder if they will have any transcripts or other information posted online? I doubt there's going to be any minute to minute coverage, but considering this conference is the cadillac of Tinnitus research conferences, I bet there will be a lot of previously unreleased research results, insights, opinions and prognostications about research direction. Post up in here if you guys find anything over the next few days!

23. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      The "dream"?, "dream"? I had hoped they felt a bit closer than that :(

• Like Like x 2
    24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    25. michalCZ

michalCZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Adding abstracts of the 6th International Conference on TRI tinnitus. There is more information than in the program (see above).
      I know that currently takes place 7th International Conference on TRI Tinnitus, but I registered here until today.

Attached Files:

26. michalCZ

michalCZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The 6th last year I found somewhere on the web abstracts and gave it to another topic. So I hope someone will find it somewhere ( from 7th ).
      On the 7th of this year I have only this link:
      tri2013.tinnitusresearch.org

27. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    28. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I was hoping to have a look at AM-101's results from their trial that they recently completed (within the last month) but at the TRI conference (and on their website for that matter) they posted only the safety aspects of the trial. They go on to state efficacy results will be posted in a scientific journal later this summer.

This is all supposition, but I'm assuming that the results from that trial will be decent to good anyway, otherwise they would not have recently secured as much funding from a private equity organization like they did. Nobody bets their cookies on a crappy deal, at least no one wise does.

29. michalCZ

michalCZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
    30. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I thought that the paper about AUT3, a KV3 channel modulator was pretty cool. It looks like Autifony Theraputics was in on it as well, and that seems to fit in nicely with their drug development strategy as stated on their website. Perhaps they have a somewhat promising drug in the pipeline, but I'm sure it will take some time to get to clinical trials if it does.