Tinnitus Since 2006, Possible Meniere's — Your Help Please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ruth Francis, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Ruth Francis

Ruth Francis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, this forum seems to be full of folks who've done a lot of research and I would appreciate any thoughts you can provide on possible diagnosis / causes of my condition.

In 2006, I woke up to complete deafness in L ear. This cleared with hiss 4 hrs later. Doctor had no idea what this could be. Since then I have had tinnitus, first intermittently, then constant, then intermittent again (after betahistine prescription). It's a high pitch, variable volume but not affecting my sanity!
      In 2011 I had 2 attacks of severe rotational vertigo, 2 hours and 12 hours in duration; 3 months apart. These did not coincide with hearing loss or increased tinnitus. Both diagnosed as vestibular neuronitis.

I had balance issues thereafter but after 6 weeks, my balance was 95% restored (apart from a tendency to fall left into doorways).

After these attacks I had deafness "attacks" with aural fullness about every 3 months, lasting about 2 weeks. I would lose about 50% of hearing in L ear. No dizziness at all with these attacks.

As a result I went to an ENT consultant in 2012 who diagnosed endolymphatic hydrops, "probable Menieres". I showed some upper register hearing loss in L ear. I was prescribed betahistine (16mg x 3 per day) and since then have had no more deafness attacks (or vertigo) except the 3 occasions when I have tried to come off or reduce betahistine. On these occasions I experienced deafness and excruciating ear pain, plus more constant & loud T so immediately went back on betahistine (after which it took a week for the deafness and pain to subside).

A hearing test last month showed worse upper register hearing loss in L ear. Low register remains perfect.
      Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @Ruth Francis ,
      It could well be menieres but as menieres has lots of symptoms its usually tests to rule put other problems and monitor you over a year or so and see what medication helps.
      Keep a log of how you are doing and for any attacks get checked out and put on your records and then ENT can then give you a better diagnosis.
      Love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Francis

Ruth Francis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Glynis. ENT had said if it responds positively to betahistine, it's likely Menieres (and it is responding to betahistine). Thankfully I am not suffering badly like many with Menieres, with no vertigo or deafness attacks, only Tinnitus my companion.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ruth Francis ,
      I have had Menieres 12-14 years now.
      Let us know how your doing.
      Love glynis x