Tinnitus Since Birth

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rykin, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Rykin

Rykin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Birth
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone!

Nobody I’ve spoken to knows about tinnitus, so this place will be interesting to learn from. I’ve had tinnitus since birth, or at least as far as I can recall, and the volume has never notably changed. The pitch occasionally changes and I get a mid-pitch “blowout” where all sound in the respective ear is muted for a short period (seconds). There are multiple sounds at once usually.

My hearing is within normal sensitivity according to hearing tests, and I’ve never seen a doctor for it.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Welcome to the forum, I know you may consider tinnitus normal since you were born with it but
      some people are very distressed and interested in real science that could cure their condition.

Especially when their tinnitus came with hearing/balance damage and hyperacusis.

Also you may have hidden hearing loss or jaw, cervical issues and never confirmed it.
      http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rykin

Rykin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Birth
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wouldn’t consider it normal. From the forums and readings, there are many different experiences, causes, and as you linked, hidden symptoms. The explanation would offer a common ground for some who have similar experiences.

4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Welcome to the forum.

Are you willing to divulge your age? Do you have any sensitivities to sound, light, touch, taste or smell?

5. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Welcome, @Rykin ! I also have tinnitus since birth. :) For me, the definition of silence is "no external sounds, just my head-buzz". Until I was 22 or so I didn't even realize that not everyone hears such a noise.

I urge you to be cautious, however. My tinnitus has been unchanged for 28 years, then 2 years ago it suddenly developed a new tone (probably due to constant use of headphones, which I've since discontinued). I've gotten used to it by now, but in the first few months I went through the "tinnitus hell" of anxiety/depression/insomnia just like the other good people of this forum.

So the fact that you have tinnitus since birth doesn't mean that you're immune to changes or suffering from it. Please take every precaution to protect your ears.