Tinnitus So Long Ago — Forgot I Had It

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by CRT2017, Jun 27, 2017.

1. CRT2017

CRT2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown - Possible Stress
      My Story In Brief:
      Had tinnitus bad enough to go see Audiologists at Hospital and doctors a few times way back early 2000s.

At University and in a bad place with poor diet, depressed and tired.

I guess the Tinnitus was a way for the body to excrete out issues.

Cure - none that I can remember.

Eventually found a job early 20s by which the Tinnitus was every so often.

For me looking back it was all about Me, my Tinnitus must have been Neurological or Physiological. The body changes as it gets older. I started to exercise, started to take on new job commitments and it subsided gradually over time.

As the days and weeks past, there was OTHER THINGS to think about and worry about. Such as getting married, planning holidays, being a slave to a semi career. What really eradicated it was a spiritual epiphany that brought into the fore a new shift in thinking and being.

Now mid 30s and happier than ever before to the point I even forgot I had it for a few years. Until a colleague at work pointed out he had it!

Change you life, your mind, your ways and habits and it may free you from this meance.

Sod the doctors!

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Well you've got my attention, but you might need to be a lot more specific if you want us to buy into your spiritual epiphany too.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sounds like your body had gradually healed. This should give hope to everyone whose T is not very loud right now - it may take years, but eventually you might realize that you are finally T-free.

4. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I don't believe any healing is possible past hours/days after the damage was done. I think it's all down to neuroplasticity... Our brain learns the sound is so unimportant that it is ignored more and more and finally disappears.

Have you noticed Bill that no success story goes like "I was sitting in silence and it suddenly went away"?

Would you agree that those stories are *always* about someone who did many 'things', never payed any attention to it and eventually they stopped hearing it?

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. calmond

calmond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible loud music earpods
      I recently heard it only once on a 2 day business trip and only then because i received a notification that reminded me of it. Once home it was back strong. I do believe that you can push it into silence once the mind gets bored, even in silence you can be distracted from the T and not hear it.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In certain light the above can be considered healing.
      It seem to always be a gradual process. I think some people wrote about waking up one day to the sound of silence.

What about the people who get over their T in something like 2 months (or 3 weeks)? I believe what someone who gets over it over a period of a year or two experiences mirrors what someone who gets over it in 2 months experiences, only in slow motion. The average volume is being turned down every day, but it is happening so slowly that takes a year for it to reach the point of "off".

7. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      Totally wrong way of thinking. And yes, healing is possible, though very slow. There are certain things you can do to help it also. Learn about the process Autophagy. There are no remedies yet, that is true. But even today, modern medicine is far away from fully understanding all that's happening within our body.

Making yourself believe that something is not possible, only gives your body certain impulses which might indeed make it so.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Fair point.

My point is that they teach their nervous system that T is not important by 'living their lives'. The speed of recovery is irrelevant. Sorry for not being clear enough.

I believe they, from the very beginning, managed to remain in control of their lives, giving the brain a chance to adapt. Avoiding (typical for chronic sufferers) brain changes caused by tinnitus too.

9. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Hey, sorry, I wasn't clear.

Healing as in "your ears will heal" is impossible and that's a proven fact.
      Healing as in "brain adapting to synapses loss/cochlear damage" is absolutely possible and you're completely right.

Healing as in "tinnitus reducing" is possible too.

It is indeed possible to get better, most people do. Healthy lifestyle, diet and limiting stress can go a long way :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I guess it comes down to definition of "living your life."

If one pretends that one is healthy and doesn't change anything, then one is likely to expose oneself to noises that will cause temporary or permanent spikes. I am not talking about going to concerts and clubs, I am talking about visiting a pub with a TV on, or walking into a repair shop where someone is using power tools, or not using hearing protection when a neighbour is mowing the lawn. I am talking about regular sounds that people with healthy ears hardly notice. I am sure that these spikes will make it harder for the brain to ignore the sound.

If one protects one's ears, and even eliminates sources of stress (maybe going as far as quitting your job, if you can afford to [if you think you can find a similar job in X months]), it would seem to me that one's brain will have better chances of healing.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      How is a tv damaging? @Bill Bauer , also are you saying if you are indoors and your neighbour is mowing the lawn you put plugs in?

12. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      When I read your posts I see myself but 6 months ago :)

Is your tinnitus mild, moderate or severe?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can handle it now during the day. My biggest problem with it is when I am trying to fall asleep in the evening and if I wake up during the night.

How did you change during these 6 months?

I read posts on this forum written by people who got severe spikes (most likely temporary, but one can't be sure) after visiting a pub with a loud TV (and people talking in loud voices), and after being surprised by a neighbour turning on power tools not far from their open window.

I absolutely insert ear plugs and put on my Peltor muffs (and go to a room in my house furthest away from my neighbour's home) when my neighbour mows his lawn. As luck would have it, my neighbour believes it is important to mow his lawn twice a week. (In contrast, used to do it twice a year - in the middle and at the end of the summer.)

14. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Each to their own i guess. In my opinion you are a bit paranoid but if that works for you then carry on.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What about the experiences of those people? Why not learn from their mistakes?

16. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Going into a pub has never spiked my t. In fact the only spikes i get are fleeting t which is over in less than a minute. I never go to nightclubs either. As has been mentioned on this forum, you have to find your own tolerance levels. Now, if your neighbours mower has spiked your t then I understand why you you are being protective.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did a quick search for these horror stories of people not protecting their ears and then regretting it. These are just the tip of the enormous iceberg:
      To be continued

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I could go on and on and on, but you get the idea.

Innocent things can cause huge spikes, even when you wear hearing protection.

Our ears have been compromised. We need to act accordingly...

• Like Like x 2
    19. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      And for every one of those negative stories on TT there are countless more positive stories not shared here by people living life with tinnitus. Stories backed by audiologist recommendations to not over protect and statistics that show tinnitus improves over time. If the recommendation was wrong, the statistics would show an opposite trend.

People rarely go to TT and start posts talking about all the things they've recently done that did not long term spike their tinnitus. If we actually did that, I think we'd be surprised.

I have a few of my own: I have been to several restaurants, been outside while a neighbor mowed his lawn, had MRIs, sat in a room with people talking loudly, attended school parties, sat in loud vehicles, one of my kids plays a musical instrument, had loud dishes dropped on the floor near me, had my child scream, actually even screamed myself, had car doors slam, had a bullhorn used near my car (yay for school pick up lines), had ambulances with sirens blaring drive by my vehicle, been in a room with the TV volume too loud . . . oh and a door just slammed again because my kids keep going in and out the front door.

None of these caused a tangible long term spike. But I have had spikes. Know what caused them? My own anxiety, worry, stress, and panic. Poor sleeping. And sitting in my quiet house obsessing over whether or not my tinnitus was louder.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Bill Bauer that weed wacker one sure is worrying although i am not sure i have ever come across such a device :/. Thanks for the quotes also, tinnitus seems to vary so much. On this forum i see people getting spikes from things you wouldnt Think would cause it. I also visit a few music forums where the perception of tinnitus is way different to here, for example people on them
      FOrums continue doing musical activities with ear protection and are fine.

Tinnitus sure is a mine field, you never know what might cause an increase. I have started using my ear defenders a bit more though, hoovering and when i put my glass bottles in the glass bin for example.

21. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      And along those lines, my tinnitus temporarily spikes louder to water, paper, plastic, and a whole host of other things. But I'm not going to tell other tinnitus sufferers that they should wear earplugs to turn the pages of a book.

22. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Bill Bauer, you're referring to a lot of posters who are new to T and H - early days are horrible and T can spike just by breathing. Have you read @CDNThailand's last post...? He's fine nowadays. I agree that one should be careful and always use earplugs when needed, but living a life being anxious about every single sound will work against you.

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It does tend to improve over time (and goes away for many people). However, I believe this is not inconsistent with the idea that we have to take into account that our ears are no longer healthy.

Of course, after one hasn't had T for a year or longer, perhaps one could risk going to a restaurant while wearing ear protection.

You might not be getting spikes, but are you sure those shocks are not prolonging the time it will take to recover?

In any case, you are right - T experience is different for different people. Personally, I don't want to do something that I know (as a result of others sharing their experiences with me and other sufferers) is risky, and living to regret it. Of course the degree to which one is risk averse is also different for different people.

24. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      @Bill Bauer I was not talking about innocent noise, I was talking about loud nightclubs etc..Seriously, get on with life and stop wearing muffs for 50 db sounds or you will be miserable forever.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Louise and "I who love music said" are long time sufferers.

Of course the closer one is to the onset of one's T, the more vulnerable one is. As time goes on, I guess it will be ok to begin taking more risks.

I don't think these spikes are good as far as those people's recovery from T is concerned.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In your post you mentioned "Bar without earplugs for about two hours." That sounded innocent to me (noise that a healthy person would not really notice, but nevertheless noise that can have bad consequences for one of us).

27. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      No it was a loud bar, more than 90 db I think. You had to talk very loud in order to hear speech.

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wouldn't say that it is particularly louder than a lawn mower.

29. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I thought it was the frequency and not the volume that was the concern to the poster.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it the case that certain frequencies are more damaging than other frequencies played at the same volume? I think it was a shock to his ears, and this shock depends on the volume (and possibly on the frequency) - so we don't know the exact cause of his spike.