Tinnitus So Loud When Wakening...

Discussion in 'Support' started by su bernadette, Jun 28, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. su bernadette
      Pensive

su bernadette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/2014
      Hi all
      What on earth makes t worse when u waken up. Mine is always roaring......has done now for over 2 years. I wish I understood it t. I'm so disappointed every morning to waken to the hissing dragon.

Any tips ...and no I can't stay awake for ever.

Susi

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Susi,
      It could be down to clenching your jaw through the night or waking up from a busy dream.
      Also when we wake up out brain does a quick check we are ok and we pick out tinnitus up more as it's so quiet.
      Also could be that our heart rate goes up in the morning and towards night time it settles down ......lots of love glynis

Lovely to see you on Tinnitus Talk xxx

• Like Like x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @su bernadette . Hi. A lot of people who suffer from tinnitus says that when they awake from sleep that there tinnitus is super loud. Well mine is . It's to do with your brain being inactive not sure what exactly happens but as you come to from sleep the volume seems to come down to a lower level.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      It happens to me too

• Like Like x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Mine is too. It is called by some the 'awakening response'. Here is Dr. Nagler's words posted here a while ago, as he attempted to explain this phenomenon in more detail. I guess we just have to accept this vigilant job of the brain to make sure we are alive and well. Lol.

“I have always felt it to be due to the role of the reticular formation in tinnitus perception. The reticular formation is a primitive structure in the brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor." When you wake up, the RF checks to see whether or not you are alive! It looks for heartbeat, respirations, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. And as far as the RF is concerned, tinnitus is part of "expected" body function in an individual suffering from severe intrusive tinnitus. So when you wake, your RF checks to see whether or not tinnitus is present. And if it doesn't immediately find the tinnitus, the RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when there has been inadequate REM sleep and when, therefore, the RF is on already "high alert" that something might not be quite right. Theoretically - very theoretically - this RF hyperactivity in seeking tinnitus, which in a person with severe intrusive tinnitus it equates with life, results in temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception.”

• Like Like x 1
    6. erniej
      Assassinator

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not so sure now...
      Waking from afternoon naps are a real killer. Or if I wake up in the morning and the ringing is tolerable I have to stay awake. If I go back to sleep when I wake up I'm usually in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    7. su bernadette
      Pensive

su bernadette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/2014
      Thank you all......I now understand...suppose I will just have to get used to it....:meh:

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. strato2009

strato2009 Member

Can it be due to different type of blood circulation/pressure when laying down? I suppose one could try sleeping reclined instead of laying down and see it?
      I just try to keep my mind off it when I wake up, noticing it/thinking about it always makes it worse

• Like Like x 1