Tinnitus Spike — Is It Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Oct 21, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      hi there im new to this forum, please excuse the text layout as i am typing this message from my ps3 internet browser. ive had mild tinnitus since august 2012 from acoustic trauma which i have learnt to cope with quite well, until last monday when i was checking the engine of my car, which lead me to slamming the car bonnet shut, which was very loud causing my ears to go stuffy and blocked 6 hours later, also making my tinnitus increase alot. it has now been 7 days since the incident and although the stuffiness and blocked feeling of my ears has gone, i am still left with a loud increase in my tinnitus which is very scary, because i have never had a spike before in the 14 months ive had my tinnitus. is this going to be permanent or hopefully just temporary. please help, mick.

2. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      hi, it sounds like you have a temporary threshold shift and what is called "rekindling" of the tinnitus. the hair cells have gotten bent over, and gradually some of them will pick themselves up, and the tinnitus will not be as bad. however, i find that i almost never recover to the point i was in the past - the same thing happened to me, and so i try to not stress my ears and just only listen to quiet/normal sounds, and sometimes it will take a few months for the tinnitus to subside to reasonable levels. unfortunately this is a cruel disorder, and i am also grappling with it: i accidently banged a steel mixing bowl and a dinner plate last week, plus had some dental drilling done. the mixing bowl bang spiked my tinnitus, and it has still not resolved 7 days later either. but it has diminished so that it is not at crazy loud - i am slightly better today but not still out of the woods.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      thanks for the reply, i guess all i can do now is wait and hopefully it returns to baseline levels. tinnitus spiking is totally new to me. thanks mick

4. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oh, I know what you mean. Those surprise unexpected noises. YIKES!!

5. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Very very scary, I hate bedtime now.

6. Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I know this might cause some unagrement in this forum, but even though I can hear my tinnitus pretty much everywhere, all the time, bedtime is the only time where it does not bother me. I don't have much trouble falling asleep. Never had that during my T. Why is this? Well, I don't know. I am just so very relieved when it's bedtime, because when I am slepping T is not bothering me- Bedtime is the only time when I can look forward to some hours of relief.

The sleeping problem, or at least the falling aseep part, is much about attitude, I suspect. Try to think about the bedtime hours as your sacred hours of silence.

7. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      What have you tried at night? Some good ideas here and Object16 helped me with some headphone suggestions and white noise sound.

8. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have not tried anything for bedtime yet other than getting drunk these past 8 days of the spike. All I had before is mild tinnitus which didn't bother me the slightest, bedtime was easy, now it is a nightmare I'm hoping will only be temporary. Is is a whole new ball game, all from slamming a car bonnet shut.

9. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      hi guys, just a little update. its has been 3 weeks since i got a spike, which im having a bad time with. yesterday it seemed too have lowered alot and i was so relieved for things to finally get back to normal, anyway today i was doing the dishes and i accidentally hit 2 glasses together, it was quite a sharp noise and now i am back to my ears screaming again, i am so fed up. it is bonfire weekend and loud fireworks are going off and i am sitting in my house with earplugs in listening to my screaming ears again i am so annoyed!

10. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Mick 1987,
      Hopefully things will calm down again. I made the mistake of trying to match my T to an APP. I found it alright! My T reared its ugly head and showed me how loud it really was. I will never do it again. It did calm down it takes some time unfortunately. So many simple things can set it off. Hang in there.

11. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello everyone, i am suffering a lot at the minute and wanted some help. I had mild tinnitus for 14 months was no changes, I was very confident it wouldn't change after all those months. 3 weeks ago I slammed a car hood shut, followed by stuffy ears with a dramatic increase in tinnitus, I now hear it everywhere, I am so fed up. Do you think me having this spike for 3 weeks now is a permanent tinnitus increase?, I can't believe that noise has caused such a horrible change! I'm gutted. Has even one else had a spike for longer before returning to baseline?

12. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I think it can happen, hope it'll go down eventually. mine was very loud for a month
      After being exposed to loud sounds, not it has calmed down a lot, about a month later.
      So hang in there !

13. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      *now.
      Take the right supplements, does help.

14. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      hi everyone,

i told you about a spike i was having for almost 5 weeks now.

my mild tinnitus in my right ear is now an extreme whistling noise all over my head.

since the start of it, i was drinking alcohol everynight to go to sleep, it worked very well, i was asleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

i thought to myself maybe the alcohol is stopping the spike from going away.
      so last night i went to bed sober for the first time in a month.

all i can say is f#*+!

i was up until 5.30am, the tinnitus spike is alot worse than i thought, like 3 to 4 times louder than i thought.

it was screaming in my head, i am so scared i can't believe it is this loud.

i am not doing that again, it is the alcohol or me going crazy and topping myself.

f*#* my liver!

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Mick1987
      I'm sorry your experiencing this spike. I can't help but wonder if there wasn't something less harmful that can help. Are you sure it's the alcohol? Could it be something else in there that is helping? We know that it's the resveratrol in wine that is heart healthy, good for circulation, lowering cholesterol not the alcohol. You didn't mention what you drank, but beer too has beneficial elements (barley), it helps lactating women (way off track here), but it's the things IN the drink that helped, not the alcohol. Both of those things can be found without alcohol. The fact that it could lower says it still can. Experiment. Your worth it. The depressant effect of what your drinking may seem like the answer when your dealing with T, but I think it's been shown to add to the stress in the long run. I wish you peace.

• Like Like x 1
    16. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      it is definitely the alcohol that helps me, i go from drinking beer to cider to whiskey. it doesn't lower the noise it just make it very hard to think lying in bed, like a robot and before you know it your asleep.

last night i went to bed sober and all i could do is listening to the screaming noise in my head! awake all night,

even today, with 2 hours sleep it is alot louder than when i get 8 hours of alcohol induced sleep.

17. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I understand. Have you tried weaning off, instead of cold turkey? Maybe it's too much of a shock to your system? Have you tried any sleep medications in place of the alcohol?

18. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      no i have not tried sleep medication for the fear of ototoxity, plus i don't like not knowing what i am putting into my body. alcohol is my drug of choice because i have been drinking since my early teens. i know how it affects me, it is predictable.

maybe you are right about the weaning off alcohol slowly and maybe just stopping has put my brain into over drive.

i think for now i will keep drinking until i get over this horrible spike, i don't want to be putting even more pressure on myself quitting alcohol just yet.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Just FYI - alcohol and caffeine are two of the worst things you can do for your tinnitus. My otologist has very strongly advised me to stay away from both.

20. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      As master Karl once told me, that's the crazy stage. He suggested working on the sleep issue.
      Sort things out later. Ok, give me some pills (drugs).

That little white one I took before my MRI,,,wow,,,,I was floating down the hallway, I felt great.
      Whatever it was, they should make it legal.

I got a Bee looping in my head, round and a-round,,,buuzzzzzz (T).
      Ok, everything's working isn't it, arms, legs, eyes, hearing, fully functional I presume.
      I'd go outside, listen to the wind, why not have a good day.
      Don't worry about side effects, what side effects?

Write some crazy emails to your doctors,
      I'd personally get some pills, as in helping u-sleep pills.
      I love the warning info; "If taken with alcohol, the effects will be stronger" Yeahhh,
      sleep well my man. Life will be waiting for us.

21. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      i think what you are experiencing are symptoms of withdrawl... your drinking habits seem to be another problem please take care of that problem slowly and with professional help, because I seriously think that the amount of alcohol you are consuming is ototoxic and will worsen your Tinnitus.

22. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sure my drinking isn't affecting my tinnitus because when I had mild tinnitus I was regularly drinking and it didn't affect it at all. Only now it has spiked I am relying on alcohol to go to sleep.

23. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yes but it is just too much if you are really drinking beer, cider and whiskey every evening. too much alcohol is known to be ototoxic so please be careful!

• Like Like x 1
    24. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Lol, I don't mean I am drinking beer, cider and whisky in one night.

I mean one night I would drink 5 pints of cider, the next night i would drink 5 pints of beer and other nights I would have a few shots of whisky.

If I drank all the above in one night my tinnitus would be the least of my worries!

Or was you talking about that amount anyway?

25. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Mick1987,
      I think we all do what works for us. In the beginning which wasn't that long ago for me, I think I woulda tried anything. I think that would be true for many T sufferers. My fear that
      whatever I did would make it worse, was my deterrent (I got T from using meds for head cold). I have suffered from migraines and I would have done anything to stop the pain if I didn't have medication. The effects of T on us isn't so different. So I totally get why your using the alcohol. I think your choice of how to deal with it isn't the best, but trying to wean off seems doable and may be more beneficial to your T and your well being in the long run. I would talk to a Doctor or better yet a Pharmacist to see what non-ototoxic drugs could available to you. I wish there was a list of non-ototoxic drugs out there as it would help us to feel a little more in control of what we can take. Keep fighting the fight. Don't give up on other options.;)

26. Mr LDK

Mr LDK Guest

Haha! Why don't you try knackering yourself out to the point of passing out - I don't know, go for a run.
      Also stick on some Pink Noise in the background, it actually get's to a point where you enjoy listening to it!

27. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      hello everyone,

i have had a spike for 6 weeks now, my tinnitus has gone from mild to moderate. i can hear it with the tv on in the daytime now.

6 weeks ago i slammed a car bonnet/hood shut, 6 hours later i got stuffy blocked ears that lasted a week, my tinnitus increased 2 days after the noise.

now it has been 6 weeks, do you think this increase is permanent?

28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      I think it may still go down but there might be a residual increase.
      I had experienced the same thing you did when I dropped some plates on the floor by accident.
      At first I experienced no change, then in a few hourse my right ear went muffled and this lasted for about 2 weeks. The next day however I got a permanent increase in my tinnitus.
      Mind you my tinnitus was already severe at that point.

29. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your reply dan, anyone else's input would be great.

30. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Well Mick hope your feeling well! This is the only Spike I know that makes me better... Enjoy

Spike Milligan and the Euro Fly in My Soup.avi