Tinnitus Spike After Illness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Steffi, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      Hi all. I have had tinnitus in one ear (very, very mild ringing) for six years following a rock concert. Only really noticed it at night and it has always spiked for an hour or two if I have driven or been to a busy place.

This Christmas and NewYear I had a really bad virus or two.....gastric flu, followed by a severe head cold, followed by sinusitis. As my symptoms began to clear about three/four weeks ago I noticed my T was significantly louder. I periodically have earache and still my T spikes following time spent driving or in a busy place.

Am wondering whether this recent increase in severity is due to the virus or the medication I took for my virus? I am taking propranolol for my anxiety but currently no other meds.

The Dr has prescribed a nasal spray but I'm afraid to use it as I've read it can make things worse? Any advice would be appreciated.

Plus is it normal for my T to be temporarily louder after driving etc? Should I protect my ears?

Thank you!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Steffi.
      A virus can cause and spike tinnitus and needs to be cleared from your tubes and can hang around even when feeling better.
      Your ears are more sensitive at the moment and if driving causes problems you can use noise reduction plugs but limit the time and not mask everyday noises or can make your ears more sensitive.
      I would use what your doctor has given you and see how you are after a good 48 hours.
      Do what you can to mask your tinnitus and at night set it below your tinnitus...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      Hi Glynis. Thank you for your reply. That all makes an enormous amount of sense. It just helps to hear it from someone else. I will start the nasal spray tomorrow and give it a chance. My ears do feel full and a little blocked. I have been masking at night and am sleeping relatively well. My propranolol are only 10mg but seem to help. Thanks again for the advice.
      Steffi xx

• Like Like x 2