Tinnitus Spike After Jiu-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChrisRA, Sep 30, 2022.

1. ChrisRA

ChrisRA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hello all.

It’s been over three years since I began experiencing tinnitus. My tinnitus was very mild and easy to deal with. Just today, I realized after I got done showering that tinnitus in my right ear has increased noticeably.

I’ve also been training jiu-jitsu very often over the last three weeks and notice that my neck is sore.

I’ve read that neck strains and other injuries in this region can cause tinnitus and even cause tinnitus spikes.

Have any of you experienced a spike caused by neck pain/injury and if so, did the spike ever subside?

I’m hoping that the spike subsides with rest and sleep but as we all know, we are not guaranteed for any increase to fully resolve.

Thank you in advance.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @ChrisRA.

It is good to work-out and to keep fit but please keep in mind, some high intensity aerobics can spike or make tinnitus worse for some people. It is caused by jarring of the head and impact under foot, which travels up through the feet, legs into the upper body and head. I have corresponded with people whose tinnitus has been affected in this way.

It is one of the reasons I use an elliptical machine/crosstrainer for aerobic exercise. My feet don't make contact with the floor, so no impact is felt underfoot.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi Chrisra -- You're correct in thinking your tinnitus spike may be connected your workouts (it most likely is in my opinion). I've dealt with serious neck issues for many years, and have discovered many things that have helped (mostly alternative). One thing I do is a reflexology technique involving TOE TWIRLING that works remarkably well for breaking up pain, tightness and tension in my neck. I gave a pretty in-depth description of this technique at the above link. It may sound odd (it did to me at first), but it does the trick for me. -- All the Best...

• Like Like x 1
    4. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paradoxical on Klonopin leading to a shitton of other proble
      It should go back down -- When I ran on a treadmill for the first time in forever last year, my previously mild tinnitus spiked up the rest of the day.

I kept using the treadmill and eventually the spikes stopped.

• Like Like x 1