Tinnitus Starts and Stops Randomly and Daily?

Discussion in 'Support' started by gmpknick, Jul 10, 2018.

1. gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Just wondering if anyone else has this strange tinnitus behavior... Seems like my tinnitus is not as bad as it was 4 months ago... seemed loud and there every day.

Over the course of the last maybe 2 to 3 weeks, it seemed to really settle down and sometimes I feel like it's not even there at all. Then I will get a random day maybe 2 or 3 a week where it's back again...?

I try to keep sodium down and drink a lot of water, but for the life of me, I can't pinpoint why it randomly starts and stops? Anyone...?

By the way, I have high frequency hearing loss in the moderate range... the usual, gun shots, metal music, a lot of local concerts and headphones... plus middle age... so the MO fits for me to have this... and it randomly started mid March... out of nowhere.

My audiologist said I probably had tinnitus for quite some time, but it may have went up a threshold and now it's noticeable... makes sense?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are in the process of being cured. It never just stops overnight. It fades gradually. Hopefully the times when you can't hear your T will keep get longer and longer.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Error404

Error404 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      90's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deaf
      This is me.

I am deaf and have always had high-pitched ringing (don't care about it - it's my silence). Then, in Feb, 24/7 low frequency T started: it was horrendous, overpowering my entire head, multiple sounds (banging, static, electrical zapping, whooshing, etc) along with my cochlear implant going mental making everything sound echoey. The T kept pace with external sounds so masking was pointless.

Then, in June, it started to fade: it still keeps pace with external sounds but is about a 2-3/10 rather than off the scale most days. I hear it everywhere but it has moved from my head to my ears. I have had one truly bad day in a month, and that's it. I had physical thumping sensations in my implanted ear which I haven't had for over a month, and my implant mostly works again thankgoodness.

I had nearly a week of silence, but then it came back, although not to previous levels. I'm desperately hoping this represents it finally going - even in someone deaf, this should be possible as the brain learns to filter it out.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      yeah, that's about where I'm at. I'm totally bewildered.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      GOD, I hope you're right...but not sure how it can go away if I do have permanant hearing loss...Can your ears and brain make that correction or habituate?...I guess I'll find out...

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Many people who have hearing loss don't experience T. I have been reading this forum for the past 16 months, and I remember reading many times about people's T fading despite their hearing loss being unchanged.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I saw that a few times as well, and did read where it can take up to 8-12 months..I hope it's the case.. ..odd how it just started without any "single identifier" gun blast, concert, anything like that?..I did have a wicked flu the month before..really bad, like I never felt before..

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might have messed up your ears, and now your ears are gradually healing.

Are you sure you haven't experienced sudden hearing loss (with T being its main symptom)?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I know i had high frequency hearing loss for a while...many many years..my father had it too...the ENT basically said the flu and T starting shortly after is just a coincidence?....just taking it day by day..as everyone else on this forum does...all ya can do, and stay positive....i sure do hope you're right about it healing somehow..

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Something had caused your T...

In any case, try to not get any acoustic traumas. You don't want to have damage on top of damage.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I do also have a bit of hyperacusis...not terrible but it's there to dishes and silverware sensitivity...the audiologist told me to try to be normal and not block any regular noise out...only prolonged/extreme noice...I always have musicians earplugs at the ready..

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My ENT told me that it is a good idea to give my ears a break, and let them recover. You might consider listening to the symptoms given to you by your body. After a year, if your H is still there (unlikely), you could focus on getting rid of this sensitivity to the sounds made by silverware.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      good information thanks!..hope you're adapting well to this

14. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @gmpknick ,
      If you have high frequency tinnius with moderate hearing loss then your tinnitus could be for good but have good and not so good days.
      Try to build up time around irritating sounds if have Hyperacusis at your own pace and work on what helps you through spikes and not let emotions cause anxiety when you get spikes but that will improve as you learn how your tinnitus journey is going and what's normal for you.
      love glynis x

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gmpknick

gmpknick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      thanks for your advise, just seems a little odd, that it seems to be fading out some over the last few weeks..nothing like it was when it started a few months ago...I have 2 very good friends who have T and they say it behaves as it wants...I'm finding that out as well....If it stays this way, just knowing it will get quiet a few days a week,,,I can live with that...I think that is half the battle...but knowing it goes back to baseline is pretty re-assuring..it takes time ro realize that..

• Agree Agree x 1