Tinnitus Stopped 40 Years After Diving Into a Lake

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Candy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Found this on Action on Hearing Loss site, Quote:

I live in the U.S. and when I was a child a neighborhood youngster blasted off a 9mm blank cartridge next to my right ear. After having a headache and very loud ringing in my ears for a few days the ringing continued constantly in my right ear until a few years ago. The ringing was at a level that was annoying and distracting and it would interfere with hearing. It was especially noticeable when the environment was quiet (such as at night) and when people tried to speak to me in that ear or I was not located close enough to listen to others speaking. My mother took me to see a doctor after the incident but at that time I was told that there was nothing much that could be done. I learned to live with the constant ringing for over 40 years using some of the strategies that others have used like listening to music or talk radio at night to help fall asleep by drowning out the ringing with external sound and strategic positioning of myself in environments so I could better listen to others.

I did not seek any medical attention when it stopped so it is only my opinion that there are a number of things that may have contributed to the ringing in my right ear stopping but I think that it had something to do with inner ear pressure and so I am going to add some details that may be relevant due to pressure changes. Other thoughts on possible contributing factors may have been that a lot of motorcycle riding (two days) may have somehow also contributed by being exposed to a lot of different frequencies of the machine and road noises, it was very hot outside(August weather), there was a lot of physical exertion, and I had water in the ear for hours while descending in elevation.

This is what happened. The ringing stopped a few years ago after I had been on a summer vacation and rode my motorbike from the elevation of where I live (about 4000 feet) down to sea level. The next day I went hiking for hours with a friend from sea level up to a lake at 2000 feet where I dove into the water off a cliff from about 20 feet above the water. I went deep into the cold lake water it put noticeable pressure on my ears and when I surfaced I had water in my ears. When the water finally fully drained out after I had hiked back down to sea level I noticed something was different. And after checking my hearing by cupping my ears I was amazed to find that the ringing had stopped.

A few weeks after that I had a slight return of the ringing in my right ear after I had been tuning a loud motorcycle without any hearing protection. However, the ringing was not as intense as before and I avoided loud sounds for about a week after that and to my relief it subsided. I play it safe now and I avoid loud sounds and use hearing protection when needed. The tinnitus has not returned.

(Source)

• Like Like x 13
      • Winner Winner x 3
    2. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Wow. That is really something to think about.

3. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
      Hi, thanks for your post. In my opinion I think that your vagus nerve stimulated really strongly and therefore the stimulation in your auditory cortex may have subsided. One way to stimulate is imerse yourself in cold water. Check out this video for a brief explanation
      Dr. Michael Kilgard on Vagus Nerve Stimulation

• Like Like x 1
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Let's all dive in cold water and see what happens ?

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Possible Outcome: 1% of people have their T completely resolve. 48% have their T temporarily decrease, 48% have their T temporarily increase, 1% have their T severely permanently increase, and you better run for your life from them!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Interesting

7. Karni

Karni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not clear
      I need to try this way...:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Kendall
      No Mood

Kendall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1994
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infections from congenital cholesteatoma
      Lucky bastard

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That is great. So happy for him.

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
      This sounds like a lot more obtainable treatment than waiting for stem cells therapy. What research is going with it?

11. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
    12. Scicia
      Fine

Scicia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Unfortunately, a close friend of mine developed tinnitus immediately after swimming in a cold lake (she came out of the water and could hear it, and she's had it now for three years) :(

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      interesting
      we have another recent new member with noise/explosion induced T he says when diving deep his T goes silent but comes back after the dive

14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Correct but you need to do it in the mountains and then go down to sea level right away.. :)

• Like Like x 1