Tinnitus, The Half That Is Not Often Told

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus, the half that is not often told.

Anyone new to tinnitus and decides to research it, will soon learn that it’s a common condition, that many people habituate to without too much of a problem and are able to carry on with their life, doing everything that they want to. In time they will often regard it as something minor that might occasionally be noticeable in quiet surroundings. In some ways I agree with this because in its simplest form, tinnitus for a lot of people is just that. Something that can easily be managed and is probably rarely talked about unless the subject comes up during a conversation, with a person that’s having some difficulty coping with it.

Therefore, it shouldn’t come as a surprise when someone who has it mild or moderate casually dismisses it saying:
      “I have been there, found it troublesome at first but got used to it and eventually learned to ignore it and you will too. There are plenty medical conditions that are much worse”. Such a statement is insensitive and understandably, one might regret having mentioning it when according to some, they should be thanking their lucky stars they don’t have a serious disability or terminal illness. The doctors, books and online information all say a similar thing. People adjust to it in time so this must be true, and indeed it is. However, rarely can something be so easily categorized and pigeonholed into saying one size fits all because it doesn’t. I believe this is particularly true for tinnitus.

Anyone that has habituated within the first six months, perhaps longer and believes what they have gone through will be the same for everyone else; this is certainly not the case. It is surprising how quickly some people forget and often play down the severity of this condition because trouble and strive is no longer at their door. I am often contacted by people that have expressed this, after been told by others that have habituated. I have read posts, in forums from people with this belief that should really know better especially when giving advice to those in distress. Whilst it’s good to embrace positivity and to project it, I think showing sensitivity and understanding to one’s circumstances, is vital when they are clearly going through a difficult time.

The truth is, tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. When it is loud and intrusive, it can be very debilitating and is an entirely different condition from when it is mild or moderate. This can affect a person’s mental well being considerably. Each day can bring a different experience as it can feel like the person is riding an emotional roller coaster. Unless someone has been affected by tinnitus in this way, it can be difficult to understand and even harder for a person that’s never experienced tinnitus. It is one of the reasons so many people say, they feel let down and disappointed after seeing their ENT doctor. He or She doesn’t understand tinnitus and what I’m going through is a typical comment.

To be fair to ENT doctors, I have always said they are not tinnitus experts. They are physicians and know all about the anatomy of the ear and are able to treat it medically or surgically and I believe the majority of them do this well. In most situations, if there is no underlying medically problem causing the tinnitus and it is unable to be treated medically or surgically, the patient will usually be referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for tinnitus management. Often these health professionals have the condition and were either born with it or acquired it at some time in their life. It is here, that one will usually get the help and understanding they need and treatments available.

I believe when tinnitus is severe and intrusive and this level of intensity is sustained, it is comparable to any acute medical condition, simply because of what it is able to do to a person’s state of mind. Under these circumstances a person can do something irrational that they wouldn’t normally do if there were not in such a distressed state and there lies the paradox. Hopefully, before a person’s situation reaches to such a state, they will be able to get the help they need.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 4
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Nice work Michael. Very nice.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you.

6. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Very well said, Michael!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would wonder if my GP or ENT could understand the reality of our problems exactly!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Bidyut saha
      I believe most doctors care about their patients and want to help them to get better; otherwise what’s the point in working in a caring profession? If the reason were simply to earn a living then that would be quite sad. Remember, they all take the Hipporcratic Oath, meaning: A promise to preserve life and act in the best interest of the patient.

I can only speak from personal experience. I have had tinnitus for 21 years and had a few GPs and ENT consultants. They have always tried to help me and show understanding when I wasn’t feeling my best. My current ENT doctor is an Audiovestibular physician whom I have a lot of respect for. When my tinnitus reached very severe levels and she saw the distress I was in, she vowed to never give up on treating me and kept to her word. She once told me that I know more about tinnitus than her, because she has never experienced it.

Most GPs and ENT doctors probably don’t have tinnitus. Whilst they can never fully understand what it’s like to experience the condition that doesn’t mean they don’t care. It is usually the Hearing Therapists and Audiologists who practice tinnitus management with a patient, know about the condition as a lot of them you’ll find have tinnitus, or have learnt a lot about it through training.

Michael

9. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Very well written.

• Friendly Friendly x 1