Tinnitus/TMD Following Dental Work

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by connieswan3, Jul 12, 2019.

1. connieswan3

connieswan3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/29/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I started to have a cavity filled and new crown put on - in the middle of the procedure I felt a pain travel up my right ear. I had a root canal and crown replaced on the other side 7 months before that and the pain felt the same so I figured I would need a root canal.

Once the Novacaine wore off I was having pain in my ear - was put on antibiotics and started the root canal procedure. Off antibiotics for a day and the pain returned. While still on antibiotics the pain got increasingly worse and then tinnitus started only on the right side. Had the root canal completed but still had the tinnitus and pain. Went to an ENT, he put me on prednisone, it helped the pain but did nothing to the tinnitus.

Tinnitus then moved to left ear as well and changed when I opened my mouth and right side jaw started to click.

Then went to a TMJ dentist, had an MRI and was diagnosed with disc displacement with reduction and started splint therapy - I wear my splint 24/7 and only remove to eat. Have been wearing the splint for 6 months, jaw pain is gone with a twinge every once in a while.

Tinnitus is constant - can be increased by pressing on top of my head, turning my head from side to side, opening my mouth, tilting my head.

TMJ doctor says that if the splint was going to eliminate the tinnitus it already would have happened, so I'm looking for some other suggestions. I also do biweekly massages, have done some IMT PT and still do some at home, take lots of supplements.

Does anyone else have a similar story or suggestions as to what I can do next? I was thinking it was somatic tinnitus but now not sure.

The ENT wants to do an MRI of my inner ear but that is not covered by my insurance and have already spent a lot on uncovered splint therapy.

Help, I'm looking for next step suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has your tinnitus gotten any quieter at all in 6 months?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      connieswan3

connieswan3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/29/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It has gotten a little better overall but gets louder as the day goes on and I have had a variety of tones.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Basic - C1 C2 is accountable for 50% of head turning. C1 C2 controls movement of jaw and mouth. C1 C2 pressure by pressing top of head can also spike tinnitus.

Having mouth open for a long period without rest can cause TMJ and with influence of C1 C2. Occipital nerves often get inflamed. Muscle spasms weigh in on C spine and C1 C2.

Have you had a X Ray or other tests for neck?
      If any problems are found at C1 C2 or within neck, therapy should help.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      connieswan3

connieswan3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/29/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have not had an xray of my neck - to the best of my knowledge I dont have any neck issues. Wouldn't I have neck pain?