Tinnitus Troubles

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lovelyhead, May 31, 2015.

1. Lovelyhead

Lovelyhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hey guys,

Just wanted to come and chat with people who are in the same boat. I've had tinnitus for about 8 years now, and I got it from going to a loud gig and not knowing the consequences.
      At first I was highly distressed, especially when you're told there is nothing that can be done! But as time went on, I managed to habituate if you like, although I never went anywhere loud without a pair of earplugs.
      Well all was ok, except for the odd small spike up until recently. The past couple of years have been a real struggle, with hearing different tones and loudness... one time I was at a beach on holiday and was convinced I could hear a noise similar to a vacuum, and I still don't know if it from outside or my ears.
      And I'm suffering with this kind of thing on a daily basis, before I used to be able to mask it, especially when outside but when I hear these noises they appear to be over the wind.
      And then I'll get times where I'm just minding my own business and then it will appear that I've gone deaf in one ear and I hear a high pitch 'eeeeeeeeeee' which usually goes within 8 seconds, but I'm always scared it won't.

The thing is I thought I had habituated and providing I protect my ears as much as I can, this is it. But I've read many times now that people just woke up one day with loud ringing for no apparent reason, and that really scares me!
      This morning (before I woke) I dreamt my ears were ringing and it must have woke me up, but they really were ringing! And lasted what seemed quite a while. Each time I'm terrified it will be to stay.
      This is truly ruining my life, since I have to go away a lot (and used to love it) but now I'm an anxious freak who doesn't want to go anywhere in case my ears play up and I end up a nervous wreck!

And I don't think the anxiety helps... a lot of it does come from your mindset and mines not great at the moment, but then my anxiety is bad because of the tinnitus! How nice it would be without it.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to talk to people who are going through the same thing...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I'm sorry for your situation and i live the same i have to say, i've had it for two years now and a few days ago it went up a bit, sleeping is ok but i can hear this stupid sound all day long it's exhausting!

what gig did you go to ? Was it a famous band or some local stuff ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovelyhead

Lovelyhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Hey, sorry to hear you are going through the same, it truly sucks! It's strange because I speak to people, my mum being one, who say they also have tinnitus but it doesn't bother them. It's so subjective, because nobody can hear each others noises so just have to take their word for it.

This particular gig was just a local one in a very small bar in my hometown. Didn't help that it was so small and there was not much room for the sound to disperse I guess, it was extremely loud, sound was so bad too! I couldn't hear properly afterwards for a few days. If only I wasn't so stupid and knew of the aftermath. Is this how yours happened also?

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I guess mine is also from loud music but i'm not sure because i was at a party with some music, when i left my hearing wasn't the best, same week i had a problem with a guitar amp while playing with my band and same day, fire alarm at my workplace, i guess that did it...

i think everybody can hear stuff in their ears, but most people here on this forum can hear it clearly all day long

what i often say is that before i had problems, i could hear some whisling if i concentrated on silence, now i need to concentrate "not to hear" the whisling, which is another state of mind...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lovelyhead

Lovelyhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Thank you so much, I have just read about your breakthrough and very happy for you! I will try it, it sounds a lot like CBT.
      I know I do hold a lot of negative thoughts towards tinnitus, and I'm a naturally anxious person which doesn't help the situation. Wow you've had yours for 40 years! I thought me having it for 8 was bad enough and I started to worry when I un-habituated to the sound and it started to bother me. Like James said, I think everybody can hear some sort of noise in their ears, it's just how much attention you give it, although each persons is different.
      It's definitely challenging and I can;t imagine what silence was ever like, always fantasise about the days before T and how good and carefree they were.
      These days I'm mostly an anxious wreck and if it's so bad I can;t even eat properly!

I will try your method, I who love music and thank you for sharing this! :)