Tinnitus: Undulating Hum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Grimes, Nov 30, 2019.

1. John Grimes

John Grimes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I was looking at tinnitus on the web about 1 month before I heard something.
      I was lying in bed and wondering what that hum was. Eventually I figured out it was coming from my ear or in my head. I am schizophrenic and I have had visual hallucinations over the years but they seemed to stop. I have had ear wax problems but I don't listen to loud music and very rarely go to rock concerts. I was starting to think it was some sort of auditory hallucination.

The sound never changes. It is very low and thank god I can barely hear it. Only when I wake up in the morning and it is very quiet can I hear it clearly. It sounds like some sort of spooky music from a horror film. It sounds like something I have heard before but I can never be sure.

Reading about some of the really bad cases on here I guess I am lucky.

To be honest from what I have read on here in some cases it could be some sort of hallucination and not ear damage.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Welcome to the forum!

You're doing well to educate yourself about what hopefully may be nothing more than a minor curiosity for you. It may however be a warning that things could become more serious.

I don't have enough experience to know about ear wax as a cause. There are a number of possible causes of pulsatile tinnitus, many of them benign, but it's something worth discussing with your doctor.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Grimes

John Grimes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      Thanks! Actually I have had bad schizophrenic episodes in the past where I thought it was the end of the world. But life goes on and I am still here. So hopefully if it gets bad I won't panic.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John Grimes

John Grimes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I have taken the anti-psychotic drug risperidone for 20 years on relatively low dose. Wonder if that could be a side effect. But I have had some hearing problems lately. I have my ears cleaned about every 6 months because of wax problem. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The low hum started about 2 months ago but did go away for a couple of days but then returned. I suppose I will have to see the doctor about it. I mean people think shit I could have a brain tumour.