Tinnitus Upon Waking?

Discussion in 'Support' started by watersoilair, Jan 7, 2017.

1. watersoilair

watersoilair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      Hey all,

I am VERY thankful that I am not woken in the night by my T. I know many are prevented from a full night sleep because of this.

I have noticed that once I wake up and before I open my eyes, the T gears up - geoscience from silent (a fraction of a second) to full speed. So. For a while now, I've thought that my eye movement was the cause for the T. You know, I become conscious in the AM, eyes move (lids closed), T starts. Move my eyes a couple of more times (lids closed) and it ramps up with every movement to where it reaches normal stage. The only other time it changes is when it's made worse by stress and muscle dysfunction caused by TMJ and whiplash symptoms.

So, then I got thinking - we move our eyes in our sleep right? TMayve its not solely from eye movement, otherwise id have it all night long. This has got me thinking that maybe a part of the brain that is non-functional during sleep that becomes active when awake is contributing to my T.

Hoping for some insight from other people who have noticed this for themselves, or those who may have information on the link to the brain and T.

Cheers,
      watersoilair

2. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I don't really think it is linked directly to your eye movement. I think once you're awaken, your body performs check of all the subsystems that were idle. So when your brain reaches your hearing it automatically detects T. At least this is how I explain it to myself :) My T is worst in the morning due to the accumulation of sound stimulus, I guess

3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Also cortisol levels rise to wake us up. Cortisol is a stress hormone which could make the tinnitus louder. I know what you mean though. When in a semi-awake state the T is not so noticeable but suddenly ramps up as soon as you come through and wake up properly. Such a nice way to start each day. My bigger trouble is getting to sleep and staying asleep.

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      What Asia and Tweaker said. My T is many times louder as I wake up and I notice this 1 second pause from silent to T detection as well as I wake.