Tinnitus Vanishes When I Tilt My Head Back and Open My Mouth Wide — Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joninmelbourne, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Joninmelbourne

Joninmelbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had T for a few years and I think it is partly from being a teacher and being exposed to noisy classrooms for ten years and also chronic congestion from hayfever.

Anyway, I was reading that opening your mouth and tilting your head back can open the eustachian tube in the ear and hep middle ear drainage. I tried tilting my head back whilst lying down as far as I could and opening my mouth as far as I could for a few seconds and my T almost vanishes for the few seconds I'm doing this.. and comes back as soon as I stop.

So any idea why? I guess the eustachian tube could temporary clear and ventilate and then clog again as soon as I stop the movement, but I will keep trying to see if I can rid myself of T.

Cheers

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What you are describing is somatic tinnitus.

3. Tommy2321

Tommy2321 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck
      When I tilt my head down my tinnitus goes away, if I open my mouth my tinnitus goes away, if I turn my head left or right my tinnitus gets louder.

4. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      One of the "theories" is that the nerves are very close where they attach to the brain, so the neck and jaw movements may end up influencing the auditory nerve due to nerve proximity. If this is true it points to somatic tinnitus being a nerve rather than ear problem.

5. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is 100% a nerve problem... I had an adjustment done at a chiropractor a couple of weeks ago and you can not even imagine how hard it made my brain ring.. Damm sure he never went inside my ear or brain either. It was 100% all from my neck. it rang and rang and rang for 3 days. Louder than life itself.

• Hug Hug x 1