Tinnitus Wears You Down and Ultimately Causes Other Illnesses

Discussion in 'Support' started by ruben ruiz, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Tinnitus will wear you down and ultimately causes other illnesses. It has to me. Hyperthyroidism, neuropathy and now pancreatitis. I battled and fought yet I can't seem to get a hand up. Insomnia, anxiety and depression are other issues that keep coming.

I'm exhausted. God bless.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Couldn’t agree more @ruben ruiz.

People dismiss it as just a phantom sound without realising it has big health consequences. It sucks away at one’s life force both physically and mentally.

• Agree Agree x 7
    3. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      It is. Everything matches.

This was his farewell thread. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      RIP Ruben. I didn't know you, but I understand your reasons.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Very sad! People, please fight the demons and pray for better treatments or a cure.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Sammy0225

Sammy0225 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19, ear infection, stress
      RIP Ruben. I hope you are at peace.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I hope he is free of everything that plagued him and caused him so much misery and heartache :( there is only so much a person can take.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    9. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      How many more people have to die for tinnitus to be taken seriously? I know if the correct amount of funding and energy are given, most of our issues can be resolved.

Rest in peace dear Ruben.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Same here. Since getting tinnitus and hyperacusis, my health has been been in a downward spiral :(

If you re no longer with us Ruben, I hope you are at peace now.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Sadly many more will die. I feel my days are numbered with how bad my tinnitus and hyperacusis are. People gaslighting me, doctors giving horrible advice and prescribing benzos are mainly to blame.

RIP Ruben.

• Hug Hug x 8
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Sammy0225

Sammy0225 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19, ear infection, stress
      So sad reading his last post. He was suffering tremendously.

RIP.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I wish everyone would announce their immediate passing when they do this. Now I wonder how many go unannounced, unrecognized?

Rest in peace Ruben.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      You make it sound like tinnitus killed him, when he stated depression/insomnia and anxiety were problems in his life.

15. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Tinnitus causes depression, insomnia and anxiety.

Tinnitus killed him.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Winner Winner x 4
    16. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depression, insomnia and anxiety can also bring on or increase tinnitus severity.

Poor mental health killed him. Being in a compromised mental state is the prelude to drastic actions.

17. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      I can tell you are new to this condition, and I'll just say this: I hope you get lucky and something comes out for us all so you don't suffer for as long as we did, because if you did, you'd totally understand what Ruben had to do and that it's 100% the fault of tinnitus. There ain't no beating this brotha.

Please don't be one of those guys who think you've habituated to tinnitus lol. That's somewhat a myth. It really depends on your tinnitus and hyperacusis.

As bad as all those things Ruben had, NONE of them were as bad as his tinnitus, and I promise you all his other problems were exacerbated by TINNITUS AND HYPERACUSIS. He got tinnitus one year before me, so I know the struggle and unlike him, I didn't have hyperacusis. And it still was hard. In fact I made an account last year because my tinnitus got worse. Luckily it was due to an ear infection that went away but BOY if it didn't... I don't know man.

Please, for our community's sake, don't go around pushing that narrative that tinnitus can't kill you. IT CAN. I get we want to be technical but tinnitus is a beast for real. I wish it wasn't.

You can live and suffer or get some peace. The human mind can only take so much.

TINNITUS will give you insomnia, depression and anxiety on its own, regardless.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 6
    18. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have had tinnitus for 15 years. It has been extremely severe for 8 months. I know the struggle, I know not being able to get out of bed, I know not being able to even talk, I know not being able to sleep for days on end. I know not being able to talk to my partner because I can't hear her over the tinnitus that overpowers the cicadas in an Australian summer. I know the feeling of not knowing if I can go on is like.

Don't accuse someone of being ''new to tinnitus'' because they can subjectively state possible reasons that could lead to a passing. Tinnitus is a nightmare, tinnitus can be absolutely crippling. I understand, I do. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of other factors that can contribute to someone's demise who has tinnitus.

Don't rule that out.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Stayinghopeful, you have a lot to learn. You assume your tinnitus is what we all deal with, hey?

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To @KoolKat and @ajc:

Thanks very much for this bluntly honest assessment.

I remind myself of how intrusive the stress from this can be when I recall that a few years ago a poster named @Bam reported that the stress from tinnitus actually gave him chest and kidney infections.

Two years ago a lady very incisively said, "I'm not committing suicide - tinnitus is slowly killing me as any terminal, untreatable illness would."
      I have been keeping my own mental record of those posters who were very probably driven by this condition to do what prior to receiving this would have been regarded as unthinkable.

I have not posted any such list, because I do not want anyone to read it any say, "If all of them can actually carry this out, then perhaps so can I."

My wife frequently reminds me of how this condition has sapped my enthusiasm for life and made me into a hollow shell of my old self.

As I reported previously, a man I worked with lost 12 pounds in one month and went to the Doctor. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was dead within 6 months.

Without tinnitus, such a diagnosis would have been catastrophic. With tinnitus, I would have been furnished with all of the heavy pain meds to dull the tinnitus sensation and a Final Solution to this would have been taken care of without any action required on my part.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Ruben's thread title literally says that tinnitus wears you down and causes other illnesses.

Why would you go out of your way to come up with some other explanations or turn it around and blame poor mental health as the cause? There's very little left here for interpretation from what I can see.

What is sad how often friends, families, medical professionals and authorities completely disregard tinnitus in the chain of reaction. Look, it's just a sound, how can it create such crippling misery and wear you down so completely that you can't face another day and wait for better times? It must be poor mental health, because the mentally strong ones can live with any kind of tinnitus! If only he had been referred to TRT, in-ear maskers and SSRIs.

What is even more sad is when fellow sufferers do the same; they are the ones who should understand and scream from the rooftops that this noise is just not a noise, it can make life so miserable and difficult that it's not worth living anymore. It can cause such a cascade of effects that are inhumane to withstand.

To see a fellow sufferer saying that Ruben's demise was down to poor mental health rather than his tinnitus being the catalyst and ultimate cause is heartbreaking, and evidence what kind of battle we're facing here, when our own can see matters like this, further diluting the grave seriousness of the condition. Tinnitus is evil in so many ways, not least how you have to raise awareness among your goddamn own. And even that is often fruitless - or worse, where you end up being called toxic and negative. God forbid we have a "Suicidal" thread, how much sh*t have we got from that? Because some people think we should only allow positive posts and sunshine and rainbows. It boggles the mind!

I feel sad for the fact that when someone with debilitating tinnitus is considering taking their life, they most likely know that they'll be seen by others as mentally fragile and weak, rather than being celebrated for dealing with severe tinnitus for however long they dealt with it, and rallying for more research and better treatments.

This sucks. Over and out.

My heartfelt condolences to Ruben's family and friends.

P.S. Don't get me started on hyperacusis or noxacusis; that's something that adds its own extreme level of difficulty, and at its worst you can't even surround yourself with any kind of sound enrichment, you live your life homebound and the slightest of noises give you agonizing pain.

• Winner Winner x 15
      • Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    22. justguts
      Tired

justguts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Too real...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I get facial muscle spasms during the night. I sometimes feel my mid section vibrating when it's really bad.

But hey, we're are negative and it's all in our minds.

My GP is a useless fuck.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      It might help if you change your bio:

tt.jpg

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Funny Funny x 2
    25. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Plus @Stayinghopeful stating this:
      Err, I wouldn't even be on here with 20 dB tinnitus, let alone 10 dB.

• Agree Agree x 4
    26. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i should have stated severe worsening, you’re right.
      It’s interesting, because apparently it’s 10 dB but I can hear it next to a busy highway. I wish I wasn’t here and didn’t need to come here to read very sad threads like this, but obviously I feel my tinnitus is bad enough to be here mainly for the research updates.

For the record, I am very sorry to read this and send my condolences to the members of his family.

• Like Like x 7
    27. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Stayinghopeful, well you're welcome to the support.

What we are trying to say is we must recognise the issue that tinnitus is. Too many immediately ignore the complaint and blame depression and anxiety. This keeps the real issue out of public mind, lowers awareness and thus funding. The press always almost fail to mention it. It's best that way as far as government reports go, because if people were reported as killing themselves or being disabled from tinnitus, there would be public outcry calling for more funding etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. brixenbrixen
      In pain

brixenbrixen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      I can fully understand Ruben. Rest in peace and silence.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I 100% agree @Nick47. People who don't have tinnitus, their response is always "well there were also other underlying conditions." I am a 30-year-old young and extremely healthy guy. I have always worked out 5x a week (until tinnitus), ran around 6 miles, and have handled a stressful job with timelines as an engineer. Also being an avid bowhunter walking miles upon miles throughout the woods in the dark.

The reason I say all this is because I've never had depression or anxiety, there are no other underlying health conditions. But I can say with certainty that tinnitus has caused me to have depression and fairly extreme anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. pleasejuststop
      Suicidal

pleasejuststop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I’ve developed other illnesses too. It’s an agonizing life. May he Rest In Peace.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1