Tinnitus Wins

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mpar222, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mpar222

Mpar222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      I need help. Here's my story. My tinnitus developed in Afghanistan after some loud days but it was definitely livable. All it took was a simple fan or air conditioning unit producing some back round noise and I was good.

During the day even better, I would never notice the ringing in my ears. Even took a few hearing test before leaving the service and they thought I was lying my hearing was so good.

About a year went on and I developed appendicitis and had to get surgery and went on painkillers.

Then my tinnitus got louder I stopped taking the meds and my operation wounds healed and everything seemed ok.

At the time I wasn't sure if my tinnitus actually got louder or if I was over thinking it. Still a simple fan or air conditioner was all I needed at night. that was two years ago. Since then I've been working as an emt and now in paramedic school.

There was the occasional loud noise ( fire house tone, sirens, train horn.) But all this was controllable. ( keeping the window down). There are times when I feel like i might have caused a spike but I haven't done anything extreme and have always taking care of my hearing since my tinnitus started.

Now I sleep with a fan next to my head, a sound pillow playing blue noise and a noise maker playing blue noise. Three different things making sound for me and I still hear my tinnitus. I'm 100% percent sure it got louder.

From the day it started to my surgery until now it has gradually gotten louder. in 3 1/2 years it went from completely normal to live with to kind of annoying and now to a point where I find myself writing on a forum at 4am because yup you guessed it, my tinnitus prevents me from sleeping.

I no longer live with tinnitus. Tinnitus lives with me and it's in complete control. I hear it everywhere and not just at night anymore. I understand my tinnitus is from hearing loss but I've red it can be caused from other stuff. I take sleep aid every night but just the CVS stuff. I quit smoking and dipping a when I left the service.

Maybe it's something else with my neck or head ? I stay healthy and work out ( I listen to music but not loud). In my car my music is at a normal rate. When I go shooting at the range or hunting I use protection.

When I drive the ambulance it's always windows down and I've never felt it bother me. I feel like I do all the right things but here I am with a case of tinnitus that has gotten worse.

A part of me feels it's all mental but I know it's louder for sure. I'm just so confused and lost. Ohh and one more thing my last hearing test a week ago was good. Doc said I had slight loss. It was hard to hear those tones though.

Acupuncture? Some magic pill ? What can I do ? Do I have to change my job and life ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Mpar222,

First, I would like to thank you for your service!

Unfortunately, there is no magic 100% effective cure for tinnitus today, which forces sufferers to basically play the role of doctor. For example, people on this site have tried taking supplements (such as B12/Gingo), herbs, as well as adjusting their diet (less sugar, caffeine, msg, etc).

Are you using ear plugs at your job? The reason I ask is because those sirens are pretty loud, even from a hundred feet away! Stressful situations also tend to exacerbate tinnitus.

If the above does not work, the best thing you can really do is to re-habituate. The whole key in dealing with tinnitus is to get your mind to understand that tinnitus will not kill you, thus not making it a threat. When this happens, your reaction to the sound will not affect your nervous system, thereby causing an increase in stress and anxiety. Good luck!

3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Even with the windows down, an ambulance is still very loud. I would recommend to wear ear plugs as of now.

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Shooting guns + sirens + music in headphones or/and in the car, etc, all that after Afghanistan... It can only worsen your T. You have to make lifestyle changes if you don't want it to become definitely unbearable.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Mpar222,
      What a great job you do.
      I remember a paramedic coming out to me having a asthma attack and after asking me what my medical conditions were I gave him some information as he also has tinnitus.
      I would keep noise reduction plugs handy and look into white noise generators to help you and see if your doctor can give you something as Amitryptaline or nortryptaline can help tinnitus for some people...lots of love glynis