Tinnitus with 4 Impacted Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Support' started by jcmotilal98j, Mar 31, 2016.

1. jcmotilal98j

jcmotilal98j Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone, Im 17 years old, I have tinnitus (ringing kind) for about a month. I have two impacted molar teeth on my upper jaw (has not portruded the gum yet), and two that have broken through the gum on my lower jaw. Thinking abiut getting all removed to see if it helps. Also i have neck pains, and headaches. Would like to know if anyone else has similar symptoms?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would get advice from your doctor about your head and neck problem as both are known to cause tinnitus and physio might help ......lots of love glynis

How can neck problems affect tinnitus?

Long-term pain and discomfort from conditions in the neck can also aggravate tinnitus in the same way TMJ problems do. Studies have shown that patients who have suffered an injury to the head and neck region, such as from a car accident, or who have neck pain or stiffness for other reasons, such as arthritis, are more likely to experience tinnitus.

Furthermore, there is some scientific evidence to support how the nerve endings in the neck make connections in the hearing centres of the brain, explaining how neck problems may affect tinnitus. Quite often the tinnitus associated with neck injuries may be more severe, and can be combined with other symptoms such as headache, depression, and problems with memory and concentration.

Treatment generally depends on the cause of the neck problem, but the results from treating the underlying neck problem are often good. Treatment options can be discussed with your family doctor, who in some cases will recommend simple measures such as the use of painkillers and physiotherapy. Some people are able to modify their tinnitus by moving their neck. Recently, it has been suggested that in a minority of these individuals, TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) can help them with their tinnitus.

References

Björne A. ‘Assessment of temporomandibular and cervical spine disorders in tinnitus patients.’ Prog Brain Res. 2007;166:215-9.

Folmer RL, Griest SE. Chronic tinnitus resulting from head or neck injuries. Laryngoscope. 2003;113(5):821-7.

Levine RA, Nam EC, Oron Y, Melcher JR. ‘Evidence for a tinnitus subgroup responsive to somatosensory based treatment modalities.’ Prog Brain Res. 2007;166:195-207.

Shore S, Zhou J, Koehler S. ‘Neural mechanisms underlying somatic tinnitus.’ Prog Brain Res. 2007;166:107-23.

Vanneste S, Plazier M, Van de Heyning P, De Ridder D. ‘Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) of upper cervical nerve (C2) for the treatment of somatic tinnitus.’ Exp Brain Res. 2010;204(2):283-7.

For further information

Our helpline staff are available to answer your questions on this and other tinnitus related topics on 0800 018 0527.

John Phillips FRCS (ORL-HNS), Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jcmotilal98j

jcmotilal98j Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply. I'll defiantly check it out with my pediatrician soon. I really don't believe it's from hearing loss as it came on suddenly one day when I was watching tv. And I do listen to earphones often but I am aware not to listen at high levels.

4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I also have three impacted wisdom teeth and chronic neck pain probably arthritic in nature. Also have some upper frequency hearing loss but really hear TV and conservations well. I will be addressing the neck issues first and reluctantly have the wisdom teeth removed. Pretty much tried everthing else from chiropratic adjustments, accupunture and just started Kevin Hogan get well from T cd,s.{ HOw to rewire your brain} I will post later any positive results. Only thing thats helped me so far is 0.5 xanax three times a day which lowers the volumn by 50 % thank God.