Tinnitus with Weird Feedback?

Discussion in 'Support' started by michaelbio, Jun 20, 2015.

1. michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      I had tinnitus since I was 10, in now 33. Anyhow, my condition has always progressed through out the years. But something odd recently happened and I want to know if other users experience this too.

If people talk, the shower runs, driving in my car, I get this almost feedback sound. It's almost like a slight whining pitch, that gets slightly louder over the tinnitus. The instant the external sound is stopped, the feedback stops. It's only in my left ear.

My only explanation is that I noticed I had the AC in my car, and it has been blowing directly in my left ear. I am assuming that may have triggered it, and hopefully it is temporary. I don't think it is hyperacusis, since I have played shows in the past and would get very irritated next day with basic sounds.

Is this reactive tinnitus? Does anyone else experience or relate to what I described. I have been very stressed out, anxious and a bit depressed, so perhaps this is only making my tinnitus worse and more aware. Of course when a new tinnitus spike or change is introduced, it's immediate anxiety so I have been obsessing and monitoring everything. I know this is obviously bad to do.

I have tickets tonight to see a band, and even though I always wear earplugs, I am debating on even going based on fear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I get feedback in both ears, especially at times of stress and anxiety so I wonder if my brain is something to do with it. In your case it is in one ear, so I don't know what the cause could be... I hate these symptoms because they're so tricky to understand.

3. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Yep, i get exactly the same. It is worst when the kettle is boiling. It seems to react to anxiety and stress as well.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup. Even when I'm really happy about something.

5. jack95

jack95 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Any updates on your condition? I have recently developed this as well.

6. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds like what's called reactive tinnitus

7. MrNobody
      Angry

MrNobody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Me too . I get that horrible feedback sound as if from a giant speaker or microphone at a rock concert. It hurts my ears. I find it very distressing. Worse than the hiss etc.
      Best of luck .

8. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      This is what I experience but mainly just when I talk. It's like the tinnitus reacts to my own voice and causes a very , very high pitched whining sound along with my tinnitus . It's ultra annoying and actually hurts..

9. Elgringo32
      Depressed

Elgringo32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic traumatism
      Hi all,
      I have this kind of reactive T with high pitch hissing with the voice ,some frequencies of the voice and with some fans and many other things.
      When it reacts it goes from 0 to 100% power in one second.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      An update: It comes and goes. I generally find exposure to loud music brings back this feedback sound or even being in a noisy bar. When I refrain from noise, it settles down usually in a few weeks and goes away. Occasionally, I still get the feedback sort of sound when I talk or others talk. The more aware of it I am, the more it appears to be louder. I have given up any concerts, clubs or loud events, even with ear plugs.

To me it's all a matter of survival at this point of my life, and I really try to avoid anything too loud.I feel like my tinnitus now has mild hyperacusis tendencies, with exposure to noise as I get older. I rather sacrifice some things I enjoyed, if that means avoiding anything too loud. I do expose myself to natural sounds, and still drive with my top down if my ears are having a few good weeks. The thought of it getting worse, is probably my biggest fear.