Tips on Seat Selection on an Airplane

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thongjy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Would like to know if in the event we are taking an international flight which seats provide the least amount of noise? Front of plane? Back of plane? In front of the engine? Behind the engine? Centre seats? Window seats?

Please share pointers and tips on which part of the plane to choose in order to get the minimal noise level.

Will noise cancelling headphones cause issues with pressure equalization?

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      No they won't.

And you are best seated in the front section of the plane, in front of the engines. Behind the engines is the worst.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      The talking about within the front section? does it mean the further front we are the lower the noise?

4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Depends on the type of plane you're flying really. Airbus planes no need to worry about engine sound levels, however Boeing are more noisy and is preferred to sit on the back or front.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Why Airbus has no worry?

You prefer to sit at the front or back? Thought everyone mention don't sit at the rear of plane?

6. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Airbus has really good noise canceling fuselage , no back is fine , middle is usually the loudest closest to engine

7. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I just took an airplane home from Amsterdam to Oslo. I sat in the front. I did not even hear the engines. Just the noise from the ventilation / air stream. It was a middle sized boeing something.

8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I took an Airbus in July and a Boeing a few days ago. First flight in the front part, secind in the back and the middle of the plane. My sound application showed the same level of decibels no matter where I was sitting and no matter the plane. During the flight it showed around 82- 83 - 85 db here and there. When it comes to take off it was at least 90, but the app hardly measures anything louder so I cannot tell for sure. However, when it comes to the importance of choosing places, I think they it's a bit overrated.

9. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      I like to sit over the engines in the hopes that I don't hear my tinnitus. It has only happened a few times, it was wonderful so I've tried to sit in the same area every time I fly in hopes of not hearing my tinnitus but it doesn't happen that often.