Tired of This Ringing

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cassandra, Oct 8, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi from Sweden!
      This summer I was at a festival which caused ringing in my ears, it disappeared after 4-5 days though.
      A month later, I was on a vacation for a week. The night when I came back home, I noticed a high pitched ringing and beeping in my ears. And it has been stucked in my ears/head since. Don't even know why I got it the second time. Because of the flight? Altitude changes? Loud noise from the airplane engine? Or because I was listening to music in my earphones?
      Has anyone experienced the same thing? Did it go away?

I have panic and feel very depressed. Just want this sh't to go away :(

2. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      We were all depressed when it started, I was suicidal and depressed and scared and angry basically take every bad emotion and there you have 2 weeks of my life, I was jelly I hated other people for not having Tinnitus after 20 concerts but I go to 2 gigs and BAM! Tinnitus.
      Anyway don't come looking for people who have had their Tinnitus go here, that's why we're here when mine goes away (I'm saying this cause I'm really positive about it) I'm certainly not going to spend any time on this site.
      It goes away for a lot of people, I think a lot and I mean A LOT of people experience Tinnitus once in their life for most it goes away.
      Anyway, it takes a year for Tinnitus to be chronic, it usually goes either in 1-3 months or 6-8 months, from what I've read.
      Don't get down continue to enjoy life, it'll get lower and lower and you'll be less bothered by it, by the time it's gone you won't even notice it right away.
      Had mine for 2 months now and it's gone from intrusive swooshing+ringing+sever hyperacusis to faint barely there air sounds+some mild sound sensitivity which'll probably go in like a month or so.
      Don't stress about it or think about it and I promise you it'll go away.
      Good luck I wish you the best :)

3. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also no internet search for Tinnitus and anything else associated with it, DON'T DO IT I WAS A HYPOCONDRIAC, every time I read a new symptom I would think I have that and my brain would actually make me believe I have it.
      Wait a week or so, if it's not gone by then go to an audiologist (find a really good one who knows what he's talking about) get tests done, maybe it was air pressure maybe it was change in climate maybe it was something completely different.
      Also If by chance he tells you to live with it, again they don't realise for how many people Tinnitus goes away because no one who has had their Tinnitus goes away go randomly to audiologists and goes "I had Tinnitus but it went away".
      Mine hasn't gone away and I haven't seen the audiologist I went to one and a half month ago since then because it doesn't even bother me as much.
      I was a 100% on the depression, now I'm not depressed just still habituating to it.
      Like I said by the time it's gone you won't even notice it gone because of how much it won't bother you after some time passes.
      Again best of luck :)

4. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Having tinnitus for four to five days after a festival means you suffered a severe auditory insult back then. Complete rest (and protection) of the ears is a must in such situations - and for a long time. As soon as people recover from the initial ringing, they tend to pick up their daily routine again (ie. going to the gym, bars, cinemas, iPod listening, etc.). Trouble is: while the tinnitus may have disappeared, your ears are still vulnerable. If a new auditory insult is experienced too soon afterwards, the tinnitus will return. Sometimes for good. Unfortunately many people don't realize this - in part due to our go-with-the-flow attitude as well as the insufficient awareness hearing loss and tinnitus are given in schools (compared with eg. "dental hygiene").

Don't attend another concert. Ever.

Protect your ears on a daily basis whenever things get loud (eg. heavy traffic, gym sessions). For the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

That's not what I wanted to hear :(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry:

6. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks, and I really hope mine will disappear sometime, and yours too!

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Its prettty pathetic that people are obsessed with dental hygiene and keeping there teeth white yet dont give two shits about there ears. But its not there fault, doctors and parents never educated any of them as a child that hearing is precious and to not abbuse. Hell most will make fun of you if you bring up hearing. Everyone thinks there superhuman. Why do we never get lectured on hearing? Most dont even know what tinnitus is, yet its so common. Well i think thats bs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. aleks90

aleks90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, like one I know. He didn't know what tinnitus was. So I explained it to him, and he said "Ah! that ringing that always comes after all my concerts!" . Then I told him that if you didn't want to hear that sound for the rest of his life, he should protect himself....

It's so annoying that some people that don't care at all about their hearing don't get it from extremely loud concerts, and a few of us that's not often exposed to much noise just have bad luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Hi Cassandra, welcome to the TT board from Sweden. I love some of our Swedish players in our NHL Canuck team here in Vancouver, Henry & Daniel Sedin, Markus Naslund (retired) etc. Sorry to hear of your suffering because of your T. It is not easy to say what have caused your T. I am still trying to figure how mine started 5 years ago. I also just came back from a flight and I was exposed to a faulty smoke alarm for about 10-15 minutes a month before. Mine definitely wasn't caused by gig.

Regardless of the reason triggering your T, your reaction to this new sound is understandable. Most of us were alarmed and devastated and had struggled very hard initially. My ultra high pitched T and severe hyperacusis were so overwhelming to me back then. I was in full panic and anxiety for the future for the first few months and had to depend on meds to survive each long, dark day. I never thought I could be normal and happy again. But there I am back to living a normal and enjoyable life.

Whether the T will go or not, many members survive and many wrote their success stories. So read them up to give you some hope and comfort that having T is not the end or the world. Even celebrities have T. Just google search 'celebrities with tinnitus' and you will see a long list of familiar names or check out the 2 links below:
      http://www.hearnet.com/features/articles/artist_article_celebs.shtml
      http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-with-tinnitus/celebrity-lists

So don't worry too much. T is not the end of the world. I thought it was an end game for me but that is just not true. Give it some time. Seek out some treatments such as CBT or TRT etc. Get some masking sounds to help block the T so you are not so anxious and depressed, and/or talk to your doctor to see if you need some meds to help. There are many things you can do to help yourself to get better. Your T being so new may just fade. So don't worry too much.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you guys for being supporting. Having T is really sad for everyone who is dealing with it :( hope my T will fade away cause it's driving me crazy :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Btw, does anyone know someone which T has disappeared? I wanna hear some successful stories where it went away!Anyone? :/

12. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Cassandra your still in the very early stage there have been people that had there T disappear after 6 months....Best thing to do right now is try to stay calm I know its very tough...Billie brings great advice
      You'll be ok just stay calm for now and let time pass....God Bless

• Like Like x 1
    13. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Srdjan a dude on this forum had Tinnitus for 6-7 months after a night in the club and he has had his go away.
      There's also a post somewhere of a guy writing how you shouldn't trust the internet on this as no one who has had his Tinnitus go away will be online posting forum to forum.
      He said that the people he asked in real life all had Tinnitus, for some it went in 1-2 years for some it went in 1 month and for most it went in less than 6 months.
      Don't be scared just stay chill, watch shows I find that as soon as I get my mind of Tinnitus I can't hear it.
      I recommend you watch Sherlock, great series really great.
      Best of luck, I'm confident yours and mine :) will go away.
      Also if it helps there's tons of research going on about Tinnitus some are even well not close but on a somewhat good track of developing a drug that cancels out the ringing by changing the potasium levels in your brain in turn making your hair cells be able to regenerate (that's how I understand it) there's also TRT,CBT,AM 101,retigabine (although I don't know how that works exactly).
      So you have a good chance of it going away, you'll habituate 100% that's the one thing pretty much guaranteed with Tinnitus, plus there's also so much research and stuff being done and made for Tinnitus in 10-15 years it won't even be a problem anymore, maybe sooner :) who knows.
      Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also a friend of mine had it for 2 months after a concert.

15. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I read his story and it makes me calmer. Thanks for the series tip! I like orange is the new black, too bad season 3 will not come until next year :p Have a great day and keep praying for a tinnitus free life :)

16. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm so scared that this time my T won't fade away. I mean since I've already had it for a few days once... Does it need to be permanent the second time you have it?

17. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Yeah, I think your Tinnitus can still go away. I read it can take weeks, months or even up two years. I read an article a week or two ago, and the guy said he had Tinnitus for about 2 years and 2 months and he said it slowly improved throughout that time.
      I have Tinnitus for 4 months now and it has reduced from 40% to 60% and if it continues that way I'll be free of it in 3 to 5 months. But even when I first had Tinnitus, it was always pretty low but it was very intrusive was I was trying to sleep. Now, not so much but I prefer to have a TV on in the background at a really low volume.

How loud is your Tinnitus? If it's not that loud I'm sure it can go.

18. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My tinnitus is not so loud, it's loudest when I rest my head on the pillow when I'm about to sleep.

I've heart that if you already had it once for a short time, the next time you got it it's here to stay. I've had it for 2,5 month now...

19. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Cassandra.
      I am very sure you will habituate to this. It will take time until your brain identifies it as neutral.
      Most have a hard time at first. But tell yourself it could be much worse. The severe, intrusive cases have a high-pitched tone oscillating in the head (like me) - unmaskable. Or multiple tones, hyperacusis or pulsatile T.
      Of course everyone wants it going away.
      So you will get used to it, it will go away or there will be a cure.
      All the best.

20. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Tinnitus does not play by any rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Cassandra
      In love

Cassandra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I know, but that's what I've heard. Though if anyone know anything about it

22. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My ears are so low today ,balance far worse ,been on my UK site ,lady with balance problem talking to a female taxi driver told her to drink 7 UP ( soda drink ) ,her balance better after 12 weeks .So is this medicine in a can ,this drink contains potassium .Going to give this a try . My friend Gill tried the balloon Otovent she tells me today it's a waste of money for her T ,all it done was made her ears pop ,then back to where her T was .
      No T doesn't have any rules agree with that statement .

23. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      7 UP?
      Isn't this just water and sugar?
      Crazy what people suggest.

24. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Mary said it's worked Martin ,stranger things have happened ,I'm sure Steve H ,has read it ,what she said ,if he's on site maybe he will come up on the 7 UP .
      Few on TT got this balance going on ,so what's the cost of 7 UP next to nothing ,so me and others on the site are going to give this a try one lady is a nurse ,she's not dismissed it ,she to has T and balance going on .
      ,like all of us with add on's to our T will try anything that's put up ,I know I will. Can just be a tip that works as other tips that come up on TT .
      Nothing ventured hey .
      Like yesterday it was put up about MSG foods. Another enlightening thread to read Martin.
      I most certainly would be grateful to sorting our balance out alone .Having this everyday is no walk in the park .

25. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      @Marlene I've also heard that 7up is good at restoring the balance of your electrolytes. I'm not sure why, but given the amount of time I have at the computer, I can come up with a few ideas why this might work for you. :D

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314839-soft-drinks-with-potassium-citrate/

"Potassium citrate, an ingredient in many soft drinks, is a natural potassium salt that comes from the citric acid of citrus fruits. Cookbooks and recipes call potassium citrate a "sour salt," and in foods and beverages, it acts as a buffering agent that helps regulate acidity. Citrates and citric acid are in many foods and also exist in the body. Potassium citrates are used medicinally as a diuretic, to reduce acidity in urine, as a potassium supplement and to control kidney stones resulting from uric acid."

"Lemon-lime soft drinks that are made with potassium citrate include Sprite Zero, Sierra Mist, Diet Sierra Mist, 7Up and Diet 7Up."
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/505487-vitamins-minerals-inner-ear-problems/

"Potassium is a mineral you need to help regulate fluid balance in your body and may improve the fluid balance of minerals in the endolymph, a type of fluid within the inner ear. The fluid balance of minerals including potassium, sodium, chloride and other electrolytes in your inner ear can change with injury or disease. Maintaining the stability of this fluid with adequate potassium is critical to sustaining your health."
      Looks like Potassium is needed. The only problem I can logically pull from this information is the name Citrate, and there could be a connection to MSG depending if the source is from Corn rather than Citrus.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/439655-potassium-citrate-vs-potassium-glutamate/

"Potassium glutamate -- also called monopotassium glutamate -- is a food flavoring. Food manufacturers often use this chemical instead of monosodium glutamate because MSG is associated in the public mind with adverse reactions. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration generally recognizes monopotassium glutamate as safe, "when used in accordance with good manufacturing practice."

"Potassium citrate is a white powder with the chemical formula. Unlike potassium glutamate, this molecule has three potassium atoms. It is prescribed in Britain to treat minor bladder infections. Potassium citrate relieves the irritation that accompanies such infections by reducing the acidity of urine. Doctors in the United States recommend this drug to prevent the formation of certain types of kidney stones."
      http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/potassium-citrate-for-kidney-stones

"Potassium citrate attaches to calcium in the urine, preventing the formation of mineral crystals that can develop into kidney stones. Potassium citrate also prevents the urine from becoming too acidic. This helps prevent uric acid or cystine kidney stones from forming."

"Potassium citrate may be used to replace potassium that is lost when a thiazide medicine is used to prevent kidney stones."

There seems to be a balancing act of minerals at work here that go far above my current understanding. I'm sure the vitamin shops are having a party with all of our money. Perhaps some Potassium citrate 7up could help restore your fluid balance of minerals in the endolymph.

Now I'm thirsty for a soda! duh :facepalm:

After all that serious reading, let us relax to my favorite 7UP Commercial. :cool:
      7UP Commercial- Make 7...UP yours!

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      J rod what an absolute gem you are, your a winner ,this is the best most helpful site ,who go out of there way finding out this welcomed info .Im straight onto my UK site with your threads on 7 UP ,so not so daft this UK taxi driver hey coming up with this try remedy .
      I will have a good old read up after I pass this on to others in UK .
      May help Ali and others on TT with this balance and T together ,as it keeps us rooted most days .Horrid condition . Husband got me a can of this hour ago .will take this for a week see if this does the Bizz
      Many thanks again for helping me out .xx

27. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Marlene,

I hope the 7-Up works for you! Please do report back and let us know how you're doing. There is another lady who has been messaging me who has had dizziness problems, and I'd like to recommend it to her, if it works.

Good luck to you, and thanks for the tip!

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Karen ,yes I hope this works 7 UP ,not a soda lover ,but try anything to straighten up ,be able to move on a bit more ,you've had this so you know how it goes .
      Got to try anything and everything ,lots here in UK with the balance and T ,living with T bad enough without this as well.
      Will try it for a week ,see how it goes ,UK site doing the same . I've got some by the side of me now.will let you know how they fare with this drink .J-rod helped out today , I know Ali and Teri have it ,I think it's same name where ever you live .
      Off subject see on Sky News earlier ,a nurse in Dallas has died from Ebola ,terribly sad news .a nurse helping another soul . Sad
      Will be in touch ,love your postings God Bless and hope you have peaceful week ,from rainy UK Marlene

29. pactribe

pactribe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, while wearing earplugs (SNR 19).
      Very true words. No more concerts, clubs or festivals for me, ever.

30. Ichigo
      Cold turkey

Ichigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I don't agree.
      Yes, Tinnitus is a nightmare. And the nightmare of the possibility of it getting worse is even worse but...
      I never protect my ears from heavy traffic. Never protect them from school, either, eventhough the sound levels on breaks are around 90dB and the music played might vibrate through my bones because of bone conduction, blah blah blah.
      Perfect protection makes me more anxious, so I don't do that crap :cool: EXCEPT FOR VERY LOUD ACTIVITIES!
      I just live my life the way I used to, of course with a bit of caution.
      I recently got a spike from a hearing test and I don't care.
      I'm 18 so I want to be young, have fun, go out with friends, go to concerts etc.:beeranimation:

• Like Like x 1