TMJ on the Right Side — Tinnitus on the Left Side

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bunny_Lover1230, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Bunny_Lover1230

Bunny_Lover1230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj/chewing gum everyday for 3 months
      Hi.

I’m new around here and my tinnitus started about a month ago.

It started after an ear infection and I got really nervous about it being permanent (thanks google) but I got some antibiotics for the infection and it went away, but the tinnitus was still there.

So I made an appointment with an ENT 2 weeks later and I did hearing tests, nerve tests, etc. and she said they all came back perfect and she didn’t see a reason for the ringing. Although she brought to my attention my TMJ could have affected the nerve and the ear infection triggered it. I also have very bad anxiety and was freaking out about this being permanent.

I am 13 by the way so I am hoping I will be able to overcome this. I went to the dentist a few days ago and the X-ray showed I have TMJ on my right side, but I have tinnitus on the left? Dentist said this could still be TMJ related.

Also I chewed gum 3 months straight everyday in school. Which probably made my TMJ worse on both sides and it is now triggering it all.

The tinnitus sound also changes pitches when I clench my teeth together, strain my neck muscles, and open my mouth wide.

I am very worried this is permanent but I hope not. Has anyone experienced something similar and found success?

I also forgot to mention that when I swallow and yawn both my ears sometimes make this crackling sound. I saw somewhere that this may also be TMJ related.

• Like Like x 1
    2. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Gosh, don't know your gender and not that it matters but hate to learn of a young person like yourself with tinnitus.
      I didn't contract tinnitus until much, much older. Both boys and girls love bunnies. :)

I read what you wrote and a couple of comments. I technically have TMJ...and my jaw impairment started with a molar extraction...a wisdom tooth on my right side...bottom rearmost. Predominantly, my tinnitus is on my left side or the opposite side like you.

Now, I have no idea if this is the common modality...nerve disruption on opposite side of tinnitus. This may not be true. But because you can change the tone of your tinnitus through mouth expression, that suggests you have 'somatic' tinnitus. I believe mine is as well or a contributor. Btw, I am about to have an audiology evaluation next week.

I know observing through just personal primitive testing...that I have some high frequency hearing loss in my left ear...unlike you...which is on the side of my tinnitus. If I cover my right ear, I don't understand the TV or my cell phone as well...when listening with just the left ear. Many...can't say most...but much of the time, tinnitus is associated with hearing loss on some level. But not all the time as reported here and perhaps not in your case. Perhaps nerve pressure or disruption is causing your phantom sound.

Now I am going to give you some good news. But first, you need to visit different doctors to see if they can address your TMJ. Maybe even surgery is in order...or a mouth appliance to realign your bite. You need to look into this to get your jaw in alignment. You may even be compensating in your bite because you have an over or under bite. You need medical opinions to address your specific case.

Here is the good news for you in particular. You are so young. In your young lifetime, in the next 20 years, medical science will evolve almost to an unrecognizable level. Super computers. Artificial intelligence. You without question....likely in your young life will be cured. There is a mad rush to solve tinnitus and is being approached from many avenues. You may even get relief within the next 3-5 years. In 30 years, it is speculated that robots won't just be a little smarter than humans...but much smarter. Much of the health challenges of today will be solved through artificial intelligence...a very steep curve of growth.

So, stay positive. Seek medical treatment for your TMJ. Live a full life.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bunny_Lover1230

Bunny_Lover1230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj/chewing gum everyday for 3 months
      Thx for your comment. I also just got my night guard today so I am hoping it will help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Hearing test don't test for hearing loss outside of vital speech ranges, and hearing loss is the most common cause of tinnitus.
      source:
      https://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss
      https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/what-is-tinnitus
      upload_2019-8-2_20-44-25.png

A nightguard is great! I heard several friends tell me how there TMJ improved or ceased entirely from one as well as tinnitus reduction. My friend @threefirefour can share how a nightguard made his tinnitus cease entirely and TMJ improve greatly.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Bunny_Lover1230,
      As it's already mentioned, a night guard for your mouth will help with TMJ issues and cut apples up etc so no over stretching your mouth.

I noticed that you mention your ears crackle.
      This can be due to allergies like tree or grass pollen and the extra mucous in your sinuses go down your throat and in to your Eustachian Tubes especially at night.
      An extra pillow at night can help along with antihistamines and nasal spray.

love Glynis