TMJ, Salts, and Keto

Discussion in 'Support' started by SecretDoubleCat, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SecretDoubleCat

SecretDoubleCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      History of attending concerts; one night of THC toxicity
      I've been on the keto diet for about 2 years. I was pretty good with getting the salts I needed. Now I'm suffering from TMJ and Tinnitus. Should I stop keto? Should I just get more and more salts?

Any experience? People online seem to be posting that keto fixed their TMJ, but I know that keto flushes out your system so you need even more salt and even more water everyday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I wouldn't know but I never knew keto diets require more salt. Interesting. I just pre-ordered Mercolas book, Ketofast so I hope to know more about it then.

3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Keto does not fix TMJ, please post so I can stand corrected. Eat fruits, vegetables, fish. Don't eat too many processed carbs like bread. Exercise and don't eat too late at night. Keno is another fad, I eat a sound diet, low blood pressure, exercise, and lots of fruit and vegetables. Do as you wish. If you're fat... don't diet... it will come back.

Lose weight slowly and learn to love exercise and good food. Drink water. You should get enough salt from your food, see a nutritionist or a doctor if you're worried. Be careful, the keto diet can hurt people.

4. K Castrission

K Castrission Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been on the KETO diet for a couple of months. I now seem to be experiencing blocked ears and tinnitus. I realise I am having a fair amount of cream and dairy. I was wondering if it's the excess dairy that could be causing my ear issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very happy with the KETO diet otherwise.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Before you assume anything about blocked ears and tinnitus being caused by a diet, you need to ask.

Do you have a history of loud noise exposure? Concerts and loud music from decades ago can explain why one has tinnitus later in life.

6. Dntmastrinhdphns
      Wishful

Dntmastrinhdphns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud mixing and mastering in headphones :(
      From my understanding salt increases blood pressure which in turn increases the ringing one hears. I really want to try keto, but am scared that the needed increased salt intake will make my tinnitus worse.

7. Alice37

Alice37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Keto diet
      Omg I have got exactly the same symptoms ( TMJ disorder and tinnitus in my left ear) when I started keto. People say you can't get it from this diet but it's a bunch of lies ! I know quite a few other people who got tinnitus after a few weeks on keto like me. Now, I am suffering from the humming in my left ear / brain area that is luckily, noticeable only at night and when I wake up but it gives me so much grief as my hearing is very sharp. I have not being exposed to any loud noises, neither I had ear infections/ wax build up etc. Dry fast and strict wholepwhole foods plant based diet have decreased it a lot but it is still present and I don't know what else to do. It is something to do with inflammation. I know for sure that keto is not suitable for healthy people. I did massive research about keto and although it has great benefits for people with diabetes or epilepsy, it is not healthy to stay in ketosis for a long time.

• Like Like x 1